• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking to getting a PoleSpear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gab

Aug 4, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a PoleSpear but I need some help. I've been spearfishing with a speargun for more than 20 years but never tried a PoleSpear. Could someone explain the pros/cons, the different techniques (anything that is different from using a speargun), things to look for when buying a PoleSpear, etc?

I heard that you need to get up closer to fish, is this true? Do any of you use resting hooks? Not even sure you are supposed to have the spear "loaded" or if this is done just when you need to shoot.

For info I am looking at getting a Neritic but I am open to suggestions. I need to travel my plane to hunt so it needs to fit in a suitcase (I'd like to use it when traveling light w/out my SporTube). I hunt along rocky shores/reefs.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I recently started hunting with a pole spear so I'm still kind of new to it too but really love it. Be prepared to shoot a lot less fish. The range is pretty much the length of your spear. I use a resting hook depending on what band I use. If I go for larger fish I use a shorter thicker band otherwise there is no way you will hold on long enough. If I go for small easy targets I use a longer band which can be held easily without hook. Mine is a 3 piece 7ft riffe carbon spear which will easily fit in a suitcase. They sell each part in different length so you can pretty much get any length you want. I also got 3 different tips. Normal floper, prong and a slip tip.

Reactions: japppo
I recently started hunting with a pole spear so I'm still kind of new to it too but really love it. Be prepared to shoot a lot less fish. The range is pretty much the length of your spear. I use a resting hook depending on what band I use. If I go for larger fish I use a shorter thicker band otherwise there is no way you will hold on long enough. If I go for small easy targets I use a longer band which can be held easily without hook. Mine is a 3 piece 7ft riffe carbon spear which will easily fit in a suitcase. They sell each part in different length so you can pretty much get any length you want. I also got 3 different tips. Normal floper, prong and a slip tip.
Thanks Manny! Is it fun to use?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT