• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lost a "sailfish". what could i have done better with what i had.. ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Skindiver

100 % H2O
Feb 5, 2002
Lying in about 15m of water with my back to a reef facing out to sea, i suddenly note a large very glowing "blue" backed fish cross infront and below me from my rear right side and have a look at my flasher.
I dive immediately pointing my gun at the spot i want to shoot at and as soon as i feel im in range i sneak just a bit closer with my finger on the trigger focusing intensely on my chosen aiming spot incase he decides to move off before im ready, at which instant i will quickly zap him.

He does not move and i make a good square shot from above and somewhere behind the gills ( who really knows how good though ) with my 7.5mm hawaiian floppered spear out of my staunch 1.4 RA reel gun.

That was the last i saw of this 35 kg plus fish. I did not see him leave, he left so fast. He stripped 50 m of line off my reel in less than 10 seconds and a fellow diver remarked that it sounded like a Penn reel underwater whizzing off line.
I noted the alarming rate my line was vanishing at and still lying static in the water at this time i shouted for the boat and grabbed my reel in an attempt to slow its run.
Within a second however, i noted that the line would be all out in about another second and i choked up the reel with my hand and a second later i was being towed through the water with an unbelievable force. I weigh 115 KG and it instantly pulled me flat out like i was a small child.

I liken it to the hit you get from a speed boat as the throttle is jammed open to try pull you up when skiing. My mask flooded and my suit hoodie filled and ballooned with water. I was being pulled down and the thought occurred to me that i hoped i would not have to let go of the gun. About 10 m into the ride the line went abrubtly slack, as if i had been hanging out of a tree off it and someone cut it.

What an experience in its self but obviously i would have liked to have landed the fish.

Four things:

1) I know sailfish can flash blue and green, but do they not usually only do this when extending their dorsal fin ? This fish had no visible dorsal fin and i have only seen them before looking black and grey.

2) Just how tough is their flesh ? Is a tear off a reasonable outcome, given that i did not ( the only thing i can think of that i could have done differently.. ) swim like hell in his direction to lessen the shock of him hitting my static weight in the water, or is it more likely that i did not shoot him as well as i thought ?

3) What else could i have done to land this guy given the equipment i had ?

( im convinced, considering just how fantastically hard he pulled me for 10 m before tearing off, that i shot him well enough that if i had a float setup he woud have not pulled off and i would have likely landed him.) ( and if i had been specifically targeting these fish thats what i would have done, but... what could i do, i had to give it a go.)

4) I was so fixated on my shooting spot not to stuff up the opportunity that i did not take time to look at the fish in its entirety so i never did register seeing his bill or even his eye for that matter.

From above though it was distinctly a sailie or marlin looking fish. ( eel looking with large pectoral fins ) But his back was broader than i have seen on sailfish before.

Could i be mistaken and could you ever get a monster wahoo with irridescent blue on his back ? ( but with some vertical dark barring ?) and if you could, how tough is his flesh ? What are the chances of him pulling like that and then tearing off after a "decent" shot on hitting the end of the line ?

Thx
Skin.

Last edited:
jeez man all i can say is "my sincere condolences".. :D

sounds like a billfish to me! where was this? Sodwana?

Yip. With my back to the drop off at 9m - 19m at the breaking waters of nine mile.

I'm no expert on the subject, but if it had a broad back it may well have been a marlin rather than a sailfish - you guys get black marlin in close fairly regularly over there, don't you? If so, you might have underestimated the size a bit, easy to do in clear water or with fish you're not used to seeing. I'd be surprised if a 35kg saily managed to tow you that fast but I guess it's possible if he really went nuts on the first run.

I've found that even a seemingly perfect shot can pull out while a useless shot (i.e. through the guts...) can miraculously hold. Seems to depend a lot on how the fish behaves - if they move off slowly and pick up speed you have a much better chance.

Never used a reel gun (very few kiwis do, at least until recently) but reckon a float and line setup would have given you a much better chance. Add a bungee and there's not much else you can do, short of using a slip-tip or shooting the bugger in the head :duh

I'm heading to durban for a week in december, hopefully I'll get a dive at aliwal shoal - exciting stuff...

Just reading over your post again - that description does sound a lot like a lit-up black marlin....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT