• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Loup de Mer Roti ( Roast Sea Bass) a la Sarnian

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sarnian

not getting any younger
Aug 19, 2006
OK so inspired by Mullet a la Podge, here's a similar sort of recipe for bass ( the example I shot being a 5lb-er :) ) which I did in foil on the barbie, but which could also be done in the oven:

Cover all over with olive oil / Guernsey butter ( sorry, you can only get it in Guernsey!) lime/lemon juice, salt, pepper. Wipe hands, slurp wine ( a Muscadet sur lie goes well). Fill body cavity with your choice of: tarragon ( fresh if poss) parsley ( also) a few cloves of garlic, seal with butter. Wipe hands again, shlurp wine. Take a piece of aluminium foil ( Americans note - nothing like alu-minum:) ) big enough to cover fish, realise after wrapping diagonally it won't cover ( not a 5lb one anyway) .

Wipe hands again, shluurrppwine, get another piece, seal up foil all around, place in pre-heated barbie heated to around the centre of the sun, alternatively about 200 deg c will do. Go to turn once after 15 mins, realise you've got nothing to turn it with properly, find spray for 3rd degree burns. Shhhlllluurrpppp wine for pain relief. Find fish slice, welding tongs etc, turn over for another 15 mins. Tell wife ready to serve, when she says, oh what about the veg and potatoes? keep warm still in foil. Find another bottle of wine.

Alternative flavourings could be: ginger, chili , pastis ( bit of an off the wall one) fennel. Our version was served with rosti potatoes made by visiting Swiss guests, which actually went quite well.

Attachments

• bass1.JPG
    bass1.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 191
  • bass2.JPG
    bass2.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 177
Sounds nice Sarnian. All I need now is a bass of 5lb odd...:hmm next time i'll hit one.

As a friend of mine pointed out, the smaller ones are much harder to hit - and taste better ...

Sarnian that’s sounds and looks great but I have one small criticism.
NOT ENOUGH WINE.rofl

What flavor was the ice cream after the main course of Bass had disappeared?
Umm Mandys ice cream ssswwweeeettt.:) :) :)

Podge is right. You've got the amount of fish right but the ssssssssslllllllllllllluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppppp is a little on the short side. sssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Podge and Oldsarge.

Sorry - a bit remiss - I think a good rule of thumb is, of a bottle of wine in the dish, and one per person to drink. Seemed to apply whenever we ate with you anyway! I can't remember if you tried Mandy's malteser ice cream variation, there's also an "Eton Mess" one with meringue and strawberries, crunchie bar, and we have yet to do a mint choc chip one. Have yet to try Scottie's toblerone version, but that sounds good too.:inlove Any other suggestions? One thing for sure - it's definitely blood sugar - spiking stuff!:)

One for the dish and one per person to drink? Yup, just about right. :D

Hi Podge and Oldsarge.

Sorry - a bit remiss - I think a good rule of thumb is, of a bottle of wine in the dish, and one per person to drink. Seemed to apply whenever we ate with you anyway! I can't remember if you tried Mandy's malteser ice cream variation, there's also an "Eton Mess" one with meringue and strawberries, crunchie bar, and we have yet to do a mint choc chip one. Have yet to try Scottie's toblerone version, but that sounds good too.:inlove Any other suggestions? One thing for sure - it's definitely blood sugar - spiking stuff!:)

Next time i'm over i'll come armed with double the insulin:) :) :)

Nah, anything worth doing is worth overdoing! (hic! . . . burp! . . . giggle! . . . [the following has been deleted as being unworthy of a family site] !)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT