Guest viewing is limited
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Low Volume Mask prescription/correction lenses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cpt

May 25, 2024
Hello fellow water people. I'm a silent reader and kinda new to the game. I got my AIDA 2 in February and gonna do AIDA 3 course in June.

Until now I used a Scubapro steel comp, which I love, but I do have Myopia + Astigmatism. Due to the latter, contacts are possible but only for 4 hours, which is a hassle over a full diving day. Thus I was looking for a mask with prescription / correction lenses.

All threads I found were old or without the certain hint for me. So my question is: are there currently masks that offer corrective lenses? Omer UP-M1 was discontinued, same for the Alien. Epsealon SeaQuest is only offered by diverstore.net, I have no chance to check the mask for fit. Cressi Focus is kinda high Volume. Lenses for H. Dessault Elemetent by C4 are only offered by tradeinn.

Do you have any suggestion or hint?
Best from Germany

Reactions: berta_c
Hello fellow water people. I'm a silent reader and kinda new to the game. I got my AIDA 2 in February and gonna do AIDA 3 course in June.

Until now I used a Scubapro steel comp, which I love, but I do have Myopia + Astigmatism. Due to the latter, contacts are possible but only for 4 hours, which is a hassle over a full diving day. Thus I was looking for a mask with prescription / correction lenses.

All threads I found were old or without the certain hint for me. So my question is: are there currently masks that offer corrective lenses? Omer UP-M1 was discontinued, same for the Alien. Epsealon SeaQuest is only offered by diverstore.net, I have no chance to check the mask for fit. Cressi Focus is kinda high Volume. Lenses for H. Dessault Elemetent by C4 are only offered by tradeinn.

Do you have any suggestion or hint?
Best from Germany
It depends on many factors. There are a few generic chinese masks that are used by "brand-name" companies - they sell them under their names. I bought a reasonably low-volume mask on Aliexpress - it was $20 for the mask and two corrective (different) lenses. Correction for astigmatism will take you to the $300 territory - I believe I have links saved for the companies that make those. Not sure you need an underwater correction for that. Also if you need a bifocal lens in your left eye to read your computer - will also be expensive. My best setup is a Cressi Big Eyes that has a corrective lens in the right eye and a regular flat in the left. However I bought an optical lens, cut it with a diamond blade and glued it in the bottom of the left glass!. So I can both see my computer and see well at distance. I actually made three pieces out of that lens and glued the other two in other mask that do not even have removable glass! So I am all set for now. If my vision will significantly deteriorate - I might need a full expensive setup. But for now I am OK

It depends on many factors. There are a few generic chinese masks that are used by "brand-name" companies - they sell them under their names. I bought a reasonably low-volume mask on Aliexpress - it was $20 for the mask and two corrective (different) lenses. Correction for astigmatism will take you to the $300 territory - I believe I have links saved for the companies that make those. Not sure you need an underwater correction for that. Also if you need a bifocal lens in your left eye to read your computer - will also be expensive. My best setup is a Cressi Big Eyes that has a corrective lens in the right eye and a regular flat in the left. However I bought an optical lens, cut it with a diamond blade and glued it in the bottom of the left glass!. So I can both see my computer and see well at distance. I actually made three pieces out of that lens and glued the other two in other mask that do not even have removable glass! So I am all set for now. If my vision will significantly deteriorate - I might need a full expensive setup. But for now I am OK
Do you have links from what you bought?
I'd try a DIY project for a reasonable price. +100 bucks is off my willing limit.

Do you have links from what you bought?
I'd try a DIY project for a reasonable price. +100 bucks is off my willing limit.
OK. On Aliexpress there is a generic mask that takes removable lenses used by many masks. One example is Omer Abalon: https://www.omersub.com/products/spearfishing/masks/abalon-mask/. You can see on the photo that the grey frame has a lip in the corner - it is removable. This mask on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804667732527.html is pretty much identical to Abalon and you can request it with any lenses in case your prescriptions are different for each eye. There will be NO correction for astigmatism and distance between pupils obviously but I am sure you would do fine without them. Now, you can also do what I did - install a corrective lens in your right eye, keep the flat lens in the left eye and glue a piece of a single convex lens at the bottom of your left eye to read your computer. PM me for more info

Reactions: berta_c
OK. On Aliexpress there is a generic mask that takes removable lenses used by many masks. One example is Omer Abalon: https://www.omersub.com/products/spearfishing/masks/abalon-mask/. You can see on the photo that the grey frame has a lip in the corner - it is removable. This mask on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804667732527.html is pretty much identical to Abalon and you can request it with any lenses in case your prescriptions are different for each eye. There will be NO correction for astigmatism and distance between pupils obviously but I am sure you would do fine without them. Now, you can also do what I did - install a corrective lens in your right eye, keep the flat lens in the left eye and glue a piece of a single convex lens at the bottom of your left eye to read your computer. PM me for more info
Gonna try that! Found the Avalon for cheap on amazon. Will report asap!

Got the Aliexpress mask. Lenses should work under water but the mask doesn't fit at all, much too broad for my face. I removed lenses and skirt, heated the frame up with an air dryer and tried to remodel the frame, but it didn't work.

I ordered the Omer Abalon and will test if it fits better. If so, I'd switch lenses. If not, I'll try to glue the lenses into my fitting mask.

Will keep you up2date.

In any case, 10 bucks for those optical lenses is quite cheap.

Got the Aliexpress mask. Lenses should work under water but the mask doesn't fit at all, much too broad for my face. I removed lenses and skirt, heated the frame up with an air dryer and tried to remodel the frame, but it didn't work.

I ordered the Omer Abalon and will test if it fits better. If so, I'd switch lenses. If not, I'll try to glue the lenses into my fitting mask.

Will keep you up2date.

In any case, 10 bucks for those optical lenses is quite cheap.
Well, I am cheap and so are may suggestions. :) Abalon is identical - don't waste your money. Current masks are silicone - they can not be molded with heat. Sorry it did not work. On me it is almost perfect. As far as glue - you need Kaufer K300. Get 50 ml WITH a UV flashlight: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832660672793.html. Works perfectly. But you need one flat surface for gluing - not sure that your lenses have it. If you have a narrow face - I can suggest this mask: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803586734923.html. I have it - it is a copy of Technisub (AquaLung) Micromask. Very small. The best I ever had - never leaks. But it does not have replaceable lenses. I mean I have this copy - not the original. And remember - without a flat surface your gluing would me extremely difficult. My father did it many years ago. Was far from perfect

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT