• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

lubricating shaft threads

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

divedog

Jul 21, 2002
i'm curious as to the best way to protect the threads on the shaft, where the tip screw on, so that it will uncrew when you want it to. teflon tape, "never sieze", lock tight? i have seen some shafts where it looks like the tip is welded on, i was thinking never sieze or that copper compound might be best; recommendations anyone?

Loctite?
That means you will only get the head off with the aid of a vice... If at all!

Use silicone grease to keep the threads rust free and smooth and make sure the heads are screwed on tightly. Or just use a tahitian shaft, much simpler!

Huh?

Bugger the use of grease!! :naughty

Unless you're in the habit of letting fish off with a warning hole in them, you want that tip made fast to the shaft. The use of Loctite is to keep the tip from spinning off if you get a fish or as will happen, through simple vibration of riding in the rig to the beach.

Red Loctite is considered "permanent" but will be easy to remove with a bit of heat from a propane torch- (a bit!!!) and a pair of vice grips. The Blue Loctite is able to be removed with a set of pliers. Either way, stay waaay clear of antiseize and grease for the threads. If anything just let the seawater corrode the threads for that bit of assurance that the tip will be on when you line up on that trophy.

Here's a question... anybody make a 5/16 Tahitian? See the Contest thread.

sven

Well the thread did say "Lubrication" ..:hmm

Best option is always a tahitian shaft, unless a slip-tip is required. The KISS simple applies.

btw Sven, the RA shaft dont bend!!:D

I have a small tube of green loctite - lasts for years and never had a tip come off - great stuff

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT