• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

MAC CAUL Hand Loader with blade.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Here is an interesting gadget, never seen one before.
mc caul loader tool.jpg

Reactions: Zahar
Here is all I could find on it, the product may be discontinued with no sign of it on the website catalogue.
CARICA ARPIONI UNIVERSALE CON LAMA
CAUL.jpg

The gun in the photo is a Mares "Sten", the later version of the Sten Competition Line gun or Sten 87, after Mares changed the colour scheme and ditched the fore-aft adjustable two-piece trigger hook. Most users moved the adjustable section right back and the later solid trigger replicates that, so it was a waste of time doing it. Mares tried it again in the Cyrano Evo, which was a dud, and discarded it again when they made the blue handle version which now is equipped with 11 or 13 mm inner barrels. The Sten 2001 is a better gun, but Mares limited its size range in recent years in order to push buyers towards the Cyranos.

Last edited:
I actually bought this gadget and it arrived today, it is bigger than I thought that it would be. These universal loaders, Mares make one as well, will load both single points and multi-tine tridents in the flat plane format, usually three points, but there can be five. I have used them on spring guns, but the extra tines slow the flight of the shaft unless your gun has a lot of power. The Alpha C1, a 14 mm inner barrel releasing valve gun, can hurl a trident a long way, but you need a strong arm to load it if you have it highly pressurised. Efficiency helps, but strength even more, you don't get anything for nothing.

• Wow
I actually bought this gadget and it arrived today, it is bigger than I thought that it would be. These universal loaders, Mares make one as well, will load both single points and multi-tine tridents in the flat plane format, usually three points, but there can be five. I have used them on spring guns, but the extra tines slow the flight of the shaft unless your gun has a lot of power. The Alpha C1, a 14 mm inner barrel releasing valve gun, can hurl a trident a long way, but you need a strong arm to load it if you have it highly pressurised. Efficiency helps, but strength even more, you don't get anything for nothing.
Alpha C - System * Continent * which allows you to use a vacuum pump to pump air out of the barrel when loading with a harpoon. This is my plan, which I will try to complete before meeting God!

Attachments

• Континент с вакуумным насосом! — копия.jpg
    Континент с вакуумным насосом! — копия.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Континент с вакуумным насосом!.jpg
    Континент с вакуумным насосом!.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 39
Alpha C - System * Continent * which allows you to use a vacuum pump to pump air out of the barrel when loading with a harpoon. This is my plan, which I will try to complete before meeting God!
Maybe give it another thread of its own as that will be lost here eventually.

I used the MAC CAUL hand loader today and it offers a large surface to pull with, but is a bit heavy to have dangling on your wrist as I do with my other plastic hand leaders. A single point tip goes in the centre, but it doesn't have a metal reinforcing ring and thinner tips will push into the material that it is made of rather than bind on the tapered sides of the spear tip socket hole. The blade has a serrated edge which would be difficult to re-sharpen, hence it is more for occasional or emergency use. The blade is easy to open up, not so easy to close if fully opened through 180 degrees as you have to press on the bar in a finger tip cut out position to then unlock the fully open blade. Closing the blade from 90 degrees is a cinch.
mc caul loader tool blade unlock point.jpg

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT