• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mad Cup 2011

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Daić

Nov 28, 2006
H2O team Maribor is organizing 7th MAD CUP: http://en.mad11.h2oteam.com/ . The competition will take place on 12 March. This year we will organise a little bit different competition. The disciplines will be team STA and DYN 16 x 50m. The main purpose of the competition is promotion of freediving with media and spectator interested competition. There will also be freediving gathering in nice atmosphere.

Competition will be over in 2 hour. With 10 athletes starting at same tame in DYN and 10 teams doing STA simultaneously it is more interested for wide audience than ordinary competition. In this kind of competition there is more adrenalin and interest for non expertise viewer. But it will also have lack of interest by athletes that don’t live close to competition area.

We know that lots of athletes try to qualificate to WC and this competition is not interested for them. But there are competitors that don’t care for ranking and wish some relaxed competitive freediving.

If you want to be part of our nice competition go to online registration: http://en.mad11.h2oteam.com/registration/ . If you have any questions you can contact me on jure@h2oteam.com .

Here you can see short video of MAD CUP 2011: [ame="http://vimeo.com/10546822"]http://vimeo.com/10546822[/ame]

Hope to see you in Maribor!

So tomorrow is the day.... Some big names for 16x50.... world records are quite possible ;)

Hehe one male candidate has never try this before in his life... but I did calculate on the peace of paper how fast I have to go :)

I hope we'll see some videos from the event! Good luck to all with the performances and records, and please don't forget to send the results for the ranking!

First of all congratulations to Samo, great stuff from him!

Second, it was a lot of fun, maybe it will be even more fun if I remember my last 5 dives :) Actually they stopped me after 17 dives, I had no idea how much dives have I done :)

When we enter the water I look at Samo who was just next to me and I saw he has a big neckweight, considering he was training for this and for sure knows what he's doing I immediately know my NO neckweight approach was idiotic :) And after few dives I was completely sure!

It would be nice that I have heard when was my last 1-2 dives so I can do them sprinting, but I did not, so I was crousing my last dive for something like 36sec :) I wold never beet Samo even if I did know that but I think I will go faster then 11:10min.

After all, and after I try this for the first time I did learn something, first you MUST have neckweight, and second my approach of longer diving (35-36sec) and short rest (6-7sec) is completely wrong. Mush better is to do your diving at 30sec and pauses 10-12sec...

But than again it was a lot of fun :)

Well, Goran, if you did 17 lengths instead of 16, then you could claim the 17x50m Speed Apnea world record rofl

Congrats anyway for the amazing performances to both of you. And to Dajana for the 2nd world time (15:15) too.

The competition is over and now is time to look back. New kind of competition brought some new experience. There were more spectators than on all previous MAD CUP’s. More than 50 spectators is nice number for freediving but it’s very little number comparing to other sports. It is obvious that this kind of competition was really interested for non freediving audience. And if we try to bring freediving to wide audience this may perhaps be the right way. Team STA with 6 teams starting at once fighting head to head was something what audience wants to see. And if we freedivers are honest to our self ordinary AIDA STA competition (pool competitions in general) are boring to non freedivirs. They took too long and there is no adrenalin. I would really like it would be different but it’s not.

If I look to it from the organisers view. There was less organisation and much less financial costs. But it is almost impossible to make big competition (more than 5 countries) because competitors are interested in AIDA ranking. So there is doubt what to do in 2012? Yesterdays responses were in favour of new kind of competition.

In my opinion. If there would be a chance to bring more competitors and make it a big competition finishing in 1,5 hour freediving could become mass audience and mass media sport. This could provide finances (powerful sponsors) for worlds top athletes and offspring on the way to become top athletes.

The DYN 16 x 50m put all building in shivering. Watching Samo and Goran was truly incredible. Goran started faster first dives + rest took only 36 to 40s. He was half the length of the pool in front of Samo. But on the last dives Samo started to hold up and on 14th dive he overtook Goran. Samo sprinted the last two dives overtaking Goran for 23 s. Every last person in the pool was loudly supporting Samo and Goran with big ovations on the end.

I was swimming next to Samo and Goran making a video. Without doubt I can say that Goran with neckweight and lauder coach could do less than 11 min.

I must congratulate to Samo, Goran and Dajana! They did truly amazing performances. All congratulations to all others competitors as well.

For those who don’t know. Samo is still professional swimmer. Last month he took two gold medals in Slovenian national swimming championship.

Results: http://en.mad11.h2oteam.com/results/results/

Last edited:
Reactions: Goran Colak
Congratulations from Italy, to the athletes but also to the organizers !
Also we promote, with FIPSAS, the Speed Apnea : 100 mt., the Endurance Apnea : 400 mt. (8 x 50 mt.) and 800 mt. (16 x 50 mt.)

Hello Deeperblue,

It's very nice to make your first post in a topic talking about your WR :D
16x50 speed apnea is one of the most exhausting thinks I’ve ever done in my life. I don’t remember last 200m and I was so lactic I couldn’t even walk.

In last two weeks I did 3 specific trainings for this discipline. Every time I tried to swim with same speed but the breath up was shorter each time. BTW, I think that it’s also very good training for maximum apnea especially when you are training CO2 tolerance.

In fact the result didn’t come in two weeks. After Submania Cup I gave up apnea for 4 months and I was doing only serious swimming training in combination with hypoxic swimming. It’s true that I did some nice results on national swimming championship like 100free 52,7 and 50free 23,87.

Goran is top freediver in the world and I admire him a lot:). A week ago he told me what his plan for 16x50 is. When I heard it I knew that I’m not capable of doing it that way. I did my own plan and I think it was a good one. I started with slow swimming and after a half I have slowly started to swim faster and faster.

I think that this kind of disciplines will get more and more popular. It’s a good way how to get audience and media on the swimming pool. It’s very attractive especially if the race is so tight as the one yesterday. However, I think it’s possible to do it much faster as I did it yesterday :D

I’m still very tired and I’ll need couple of days off to recover completely.
Samo

Congratulation to Samo and Goran for this amazing duel. It was super event not just for the spectators but also for us freedivers. And team statics was so much fun - a true team spirit! Great competition.

First column are sum times at each start.
Second column are (times + rest) for each dive apart.
Third column is time difference between Goran’s and Samo’s starts.

Samo made 24 s difference in last two dives.

Attachments

• DYN 16 x 50m Samo VS. Goran.jpg
    DYN 16 x 50m Samo VS. Goran.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Congratulations to both! It was really exsciting. More competitions like this are needed here.

Samo did a really smart plan and that was his advantage. Being a swimer is another. I think that 16 x 50 is discipline for swimmers.

When I saw Gorans pace at a begining I was wandering what planet is he from. :) It is good to know he is from planet earth too.

Ales

First column are sum times at each start.
Second column are (times + rest) for each dive apart.
Third column is time difference between Goran’s and Samo’s starts.

Samo made 24 s difference in last two dives.

Samo's performance shows a good distribution of effort, with a second part to negative-split.

wow! Must have been a great race to watch! Congratulations to Samo and Goran and thank you both for the comments - very helpful and inspiring.

After 2 weeks we have finaly made a video of 16 x 50 reace at MadCup 2011 competition. I did a combination of outside and inside water video and I also put some coments what was going on during a race. So enjoy the video ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to both once more! Among watching the video I realised how fantastic performances Samo and Goran made!!!

Samo great video!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT