• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Magnum hybrid or mahi gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

seaman

Aug 3, 2005
What are your choices between a MH and a Mahi for bluewater hunting? A 55 or 60 inch Hybrid Mag, could be used as a bluewater gun? I guess the mahi has more range though ...

Hey seaman I have a Magnum hybrid 55'' It is a powerful gun! I mostly use it on really clear reefs It has good range and I often shoot right thru the fish! Well hope this helped

Reactions: seaman
Hi Seaman,

I don't have a Mahi but I've got a 60" Wong Magnum Hybrid which I used both to hunt along the outer edges of the reef and bluewater hunting. Range is somehow the same though the Mahi have more punch since it can carry more power bands. The hybrid though is more maneuverable.

Safe hunting,

Chris......

I have a Mahi as well as 55" and 60" regular hybrids. I have found the hybrids so much easier to swing and aim that when I wanted a magnum, I had him make me one with a length of 57 inches, exactly the same as the Mahi. It has the same three 5/8" bands, the same 5/16" shaft, and the same band stretch as the Mahi, but it much easier to handle.

Chris said that a Mahi would have more "punch" because it could use more bands, and I guess that's true is you added a fourth band, which you can't do on a hybrid because of the muzzle design. For a while I used four 9/16" bands on my Mahi, but all that rubber piled up on top of that flat gun interfered with my normal way of aiming.

Its an easy call for me- go for the 60" magnum. You'll have more band stretch than a Mahi has, and it will be much easier to maneuver.

For what its worth, the magnum is second from the left in this photo, and the Mahi is on the far right.

Attachments

• 5wongs.JPG
    5wongs.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Hi Bill,

I really envy that Ono. I hope my friend will retire from spearfishing soonest so he can sell his Ono to me. Anyway what reel would you recommend for horizontal mounting? I can easily get a Riffe reel from here but then it will cover half of the dogtooth tuna artwork on my hybrid.

Many thanks.

Chris.......:confused:

Attachments

• dogthooth tuna.jpg
    dogthooth tuna.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 286
Speaking of the ono, and in keeping with the theme of this thread- a few guys have had Daryl make Super Magnums as an alternative to the ono gun- same length and bands, but easier to swing. I have seen a photo of a tuna of about 250 pounds (I think) taken with one.

The only horizontal reel with which I have any experience is that stainless steel Rob Allen on the gun at the left of the photo. It will hold about 200 feet of 2 mm Spectra. It has little wings sticking up on the sides which interfere with mounting on a flat surface, so you need to put a wood or delrin spacer between them. I contemplated just grinding them off, but the Rob Allen folks didn't recommend it.

There is a vertically mounted reel that still mounts to the bottom of the gun and wouldn't interfere with your art work. Its the old alunimum "Riffe" reel that he lost the rights to years ago, and I believe is now made my Trident. I have 150 of 3 mm Spectra on mine, and Mori tells me that he now has a special run of 2.5 mm Spectra and the reel will take between 180 and 200 feet, depending on how anal you are in winding it on.

Here are three photos of the Rob Allen, one of my magnum with the "Riffe" reel filled with pink 3 mm Spectra, and one of one of Mori's "Riffe" reels filled with 2.5 mm yellow Spectra.

Attachments

• 2.5mm:2.jpg
    2.5mm:2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 233
  • magnumw:reel.JPG
    magnumw:reel.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 273
  • RAyellowmagnum.jpg
    RAyellowmagnum.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 294
  • RA3.jpg
    RA3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 228
  • ranaked.jpg
    ranaked.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 221
Wolfen said:
Hey seaman I have a Magnum hybrid 55'' It is a powerful gun! I mostly use it on really clear reefs It has good range and I often shoot right thru the fish! Well hope this helped

Thank you man, i have an Ono right now, and i have a M. Hybrid in Utah, and i have to wait until my brother in law gets here to use the gun, so i am eager to whack some fish with it. And you know I have the wong gun sindrome, you will never get enough guns, so i have my Wish list for the years to come ..:)

cjv said:
Hi Seaman,

I don't have a Mahi but I've got a 60" Wong Magnum Hybrid which I used both to hunt along the outer edges of the reef and bluewater hunting. Range is somehow the same though the Mahi have more punch since it can carry more power bands. The hybrid though is more maneuverable.

Safe hunting,

Chris......

A 60 Mag, that's indeed a dream gun. And the Mahi is a beauty, they all have such punch with me man.I wish Next gun would be something between a Mahi and a Supermag!!!

I have the Mahi and love it. I do like the maneuvability of the the hybrids, but I like the ability of the mahi to take 4 short 5/8 bands a little more :martial

In a few months you can try both those guns...and more. Then you can decide. :friday

Hey man, really nice to see you around.

I want very bad the summer time right now man, i feel the urge to feed some steel to the fishes!!!

Does Fuzz contacted Andrea? if you want i can talk to him to "spare" the gun a few days more.

Hey Seaman

I'm planing a weekend at La Pax, may be Abril 7 to 9 or so.

do you think that is a good time to go out for some fishes??? May be some YT??

I went out around here last sunday, at Punta Prieta, and it was amazingly out of edyble fish. NADA.

Carlos

Pocoshower, I would love to go with you man,. Tell me when you are coming and both will look for the yt. I think right now is the begin of the season, cause there is going to be a huge local tournament . The Jurel, tournament!

It`s a little windy, but somehow we can manage to get to a good spot!

Hey guys I just took MH 55'' out a few days ago it gave me a hard time. I think it was shooting low I was useing a 9\32'' shaft(with no bends in it) and 2-3 bands I am not shure why it was doing this.Some times it shoots great then other times not could it be me not brasing it properley I dont know?

i have the 63" magnum hybrid on order now. i am 6',1" tall so the legnth is proportional, daryl is making it with a 4 or 5 band muzzle option. i wanted to be able to use it for some blue water and around the reef downgrading power and only using 3 bands. i will let you all know how it feels when i get it...

I have three Hybrids- a 45" titanium, a 50" carbon and a carbon MH and they've pretty much replaced my wood guns excepting my two big Alexanders and my 58" homebuilt YT and WSB gun.

They're easy to swing without much effort that translates into spooked fish, they wind around the kelp nice and quiet and they've never failed to hit what they're pointed at. Short of shortening the bands on the 60 and winding on Mori's 2.5 mm line on the Omer 50, it came ready to slay.

I'm bringing all of them down to Baja in a couple weeks to dive with Dale and I have zero doubt that they'll perform as great as up here.

norcal said:
i have the 63" magnum hybrid on order now. i am 6',1" tall so the legnth is proportional, daryl is making it with a 4 or 5 band muzzle option. i wanted to be able to use it for some blue water and around the reef downgrading power and only using 3 bands. i will let you all know how it feels when i get it...

Wow, i'm jealous now, a 63"Mag, is such a beauty, send some pics of both, the gun and your catch!!!

icarus pacific said:
I have three Hybrids- a 45" titanium, a 50" carbon and a carbon MH and they've pretty much replaced my wood guns excepting my two big Alexanders and my 58" homebuilt YT and WSB gun.

They're easy to swing without much effort that translates into spooked fish, they wind around the kelp nice and quiet and they've never failed to hit what they're pointed at. Short of shortening the bands on the 60 and winding on Mori's 2.5 mm line on the Omer 50, it came ready to slay.

I'm bringing all of them down to Baja in a couple weeks to dive with Dale and I have zero doubt that they'll perform as great as up here.

What's your ideal set up with your guns, i mean shaft-band correlation?

With all the guns, I can switch between a 9/32 or a 5/16 shaft. The small hybid almost always has a 9/32 Hawaiian flopper and either a single 5/8 band or two 9/16 bands. The 50 usually has a 9/32 flopper with three 9/16 bands but will take 2-3 5/8 bands and a 5/16 shaft, and the MH has three 5/8 bands and a 5/16 shafts only.

I guess you are very happy with the 9|32 and the 9|16' s as your daily option..

That would be correct. Unless you want to talk about my JBL Custom with 3/8 shafts and 5/8 bands...:blackeye

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT