• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mahi Hunting ....HOW???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Skimfish101

Mar 3, 2008
Is there anyone out there with Mahi experience? Have seen videos but need tips on floatline setup and general tricks of the trade for sucessful hunting. If you're from Florida even better!

..."Don't go too deep now"- Mom

> Skimfish

I've killed a Mahi once, I was blue water hunting when I've spotted a large school of them swimming out of range, it is impossible to follow them so I kind hid my gun under my body and stopped swimming all, say really still, one of them look back and swam in front of me.

So key for me was realign on there curiosity.

View attachment 18007

Last edited:
Blue water fish are always on the move looking for food and trying to stay away from predators, so it is hard to get within shooting range I imagine. Anyway I bet making your presence yell hunter wont work out for the best situation, soo keep it cool and allow the fish's natural curiosity to benefit your friendly approach... then shaft em haha. Thats what Ive gathered from others and just fish behavior in general. We just gota get out there and give it a go mate l>]]}">

Where I live in Southern California, we look for kelp paddies floating in the open ocean and then jump in. If they are there, they are not all that hard to approach. They may come by very close, at least until the first one is shot.

When I was in North Carolina, the trick was to find a Sargasso weed line or a floating log. I would imagine the same thing would apply in Florida.

Yep, I live in Miami and they are really not hard to kill. The hardest part is actually finding the fish. Be sure to slide in the water silently. As for approaching them... It's not that hard, I've had one or two come too close to get a shot off.

By Mahi u mean Dolphin fish?

If so we get them at F.A.D.S which are located between 20-50km from shoreline.

Very nice eating fish, but we have only caught them from rods, havent tried spearing them yet

Find a weedline in 60' or more or any other floating debris- float with it (while in the boat) if mahi are around you'll see them darting in/around the floatsum, if its a huge WL it'll probably have Dorado, if not start a chumslick, once they're in, put out a flasher and drop in, avoid eye contact or any quick movements... the rest is easy...IMO they're one of the easiest BW pelagics to hunt

Skim,

As far as rigging goes, I like a slip tip on your shaft and a breakaway rig to a 75ft floatline with a short bungie built inline to pick up any shock then to a float. I dont think you will have to worry about a full blue water bungie system (ie Norprene bungie and solid core blue water float) since Mahi run shallow on the surface and usually dont sound deep.

Check out "Dummies guide to rigging a speargun" on this site for any details. Bill has turned me on to one of the best and cheapest breakaway systems.

good luck

Joel

Where is it better to shoot them when they're big ones, I mean on the side behind the gill plate, head, tail? The skull looks like being pretty hard to penetrate, is it?

Where is it better to shoot them when they're big ones, I mean on the side behind the gill plate, head, tail? The skull looks like being pretty hard to penetrate, is it?

In the tailroflroflrofl

Kidding aside they are actually quite "soft fleshed" and narrow so the shaft goes waaaayyyyy through them...head/body shot, works fine, I actually shot one near the tail and he tried clearing water more than once...Dorada are curious by nature (guess like most anyother fish), and and have a vivacious appetite, once in a feeding (read chum) frenzy they are quite easy and fun to "coolerize"

In australia on the east coast during summer we have mahi mahi cruising our coasts.

We have FADs off the coast which attract them and anglers and spearos hunt them in bluewater.

Im waitin to find a crew to dive with to shoot bigger pelajics like this.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…