• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Making new European type bands

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cingene

Will Dive for Food
Mar 4, 2003
Making recycled European type bands

Just found a way to make the European type powerbands and thought I would share it with you.
1) Use a vise to hold the ends of the bands and cut the rubber as close to the threaded ends as you can.
2) While still clamped by the vise, push out the old rubber that is inside the ends.
3) Save the cone shaped plastic piece that is inside the old rubber band.
40 Now cut your new band material about 4 inches longer than what you need.
5) Cut the new band material at a taper two inches from both ends.
6) Put a little bit of silicone lubricant on the side of the end piece without threads. Now push the tapered end of the band material into the end piece (none thread side) until it comes out of the other side (threaded side) about 1/2 inch.
7) Pull the material through with vise grips until you have about 1/2 inch over your final length.
8) Put the plastic cone back inside the band material point end first, push with a long blunt object until it stops (usually at opening of the threaded end).
9) Pull on the band (the long part) until the plastic cone locks it in place. Do the other end the same way.

There you go a $2.00 fix vs. $40.00 for new bands.

Anyone else have some cheap fix? :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: gitano
If you mean the homemade powerbands, I haven't taken it in the water yet, since it is a short gun designed for rockfish and our inshore fishing is temporarily closed. I did tried the band material separate from the ends by stretching it out until I cannot stretch the band anymore and loaded it on my gun for about half a day...(hopefully it still good :head ) and it still looked fine and felt pretty darn good. But the real trial will come when I take it in the water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT