• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Making noise/vibration question?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andah

Mar 16, 2008
Can making noise and vibration actually help attract fish?

This video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yebNTem-BkM]YouTube - serviola[/ame] is what has prompted this question.

If not, why else is this guy thumping away on his gun?

PS sorry - don't know how to embed vid.

Fantastic, almost 2 minutes and deep!!!:martial
I have never caught such a big one but the noise works..

It depends on many factors: species and size of the fish, sort and frequency of noise. There are sort of noises and vibrations who scare the fish away (if you sound like a big predator on the prawl, well this in no way can attract fish), while other sort and frequency of noises attract fish.

Last edited:
In Southern California, many people claim some success in attracting white sea bass by duplicating the croaking sound that they make. Others strum the bands of their guns to attract yellowtail.

I just posted a similar thread on the reef forum about this, with regards to snapper. It def works in my opinion I have just started to experiment with this and it worked for me twice yesterday, a snapper actually swam over to see what was going on. It was to small to shoot, a little red snapper bout .5kg.
I got an emperor fish yesterday using this method.
I use the back of my tongue to force a mouth full of air down my gullet, thats best i can describe it but its not exactly like that because you can use the same mouth full of air over and over, but i really believe it works.

It is tiring though and my bottom time drops because of the extra effort, are there any experianced snoopers on here that may have any more tips regarding this??

There is a huge "literature" on this subject and anyone has his own experiences, opinions and stories to tell.
We'll never know what really works, I mean we'll never know if the fish has come close because attracted by the sound, or if he came close for other reasons. Only the fish could tell, but: 1) he's a fish and can't speak. 2) he's dead, cooked and eaten, so again he cant' speak.
The only scientific notion we have is that fish are very sensitive to vibration: they're more impressed by what they "feel" with their lateral line sense organ, than by what they see with their eyes.
What we don't know, and may only try to guess, is which vibrations are "good vibration" for a fish, and which vibrations scare them away.

1) Generally speaking, I BELIEVE that a spearo's dive should be quiet, stealthy and sleek: the splashy sploshy messy kind of dive does not work with most of the fish.

2) some particular sounds are said to work well to attract some species of fish. Such as:
- a handslap on the water surface seems to attract sea bass (european bass, dicentrarchus labrax), as a well as a "croak croak" sound made with your voice/throat.
I have an explanation for the handslap: it might be similar to the blow of tail from a small fish escaping near the surface. A bass will come close to see if there's a school of bait there. The "croak croak": I don't know what it could mean to a bass...?
- a deep "goo goo" from your inner tongue is said to attract breams (maybe snappers too?), as well as a "clop clop" whipping the foretongue, or a "tickle tickle" made by tickling your teeth. The tickling is quite clear: it's similar to the sound of breams cracking mussels: means food.
- the picking of rubber bands I've heard about by many spearos but God knows what it could mean to a fish.

Last edited:
fish are generally curious by nature so any subtle sound followed by stilnees and quiet will generate good results, and as mentioned some sounds seem to attract fish more than others although quietness and a good bottom time are tried and true fish getters...run that dog!

Reactions: spaghetti
Sound is definatly a big attracting factor, at least here in Hawaii. though the dose makes the poison, in that too much can be a bad thing.

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/1834563]The Medfish Grunt -Sept18 2008 on Vimeo[/ame]

:t

Sorry to revive an old thread, but am fascinated with this idea of croaking since it has worked well for me here in Croatia.

I find if I see a large 2-banded seabream (croatian-"Fratar") go behind or under a large bolder, quietly settling on the opposite side of the bolder with gun ready on top, and doing 3 little croaks deep in the throat, then waiting about 10 seconds or less, I will soon have several small Fratar and others around, but that big one may also pop up in front of the rock with this look in his eye like "what the heck was that sound you just made?!"

then, later that day, I have a nice bbq with the family... fratar are quite tasty

so far I noticed it works well with

1. flathead grey mullet,
  2. 2-band seabream (aka-fratar)
  3. striped seabream (aka-sharag)

but for me, the big ones (over .5 kilo), while they do come to investigate, still keep distance way out of range for my little reef-rock-hunting gun I use. I will hopefully be able to afford a new gun next year.

Reactions: Mr. X
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…