• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

For Sale MAKO Insulated Fish Bags

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mar 22, 2009
Hey Guys,

Check out the new MAKO insulated fish bags.

https://www.makospearguns.com/New-Products-s/70.htm

Available in the most popular sizes, these fish bags will keep your catch cold for days.

And, for you guys who dive from kayaks and Stand Up Paddleboards, we have these awesome Kayak/SUP fish bags as well.

campaign-kayak-fish-bag-lg.jpg

Well, thanks guys for your support.

www.makospearguns.com

Dive safe,
dano

campaign-fish-bags-lg.jpg

Reactions: DiveHacker
Won't these bags be too heavy to carry when they are full of ice and fish? Do they have wheels?

I have the 60" Reliable bag and it definitely takes two to lift it when its full of fish and ice, but that's a good problem to have.

I'm glad to see that these bags have a flat bottom like the Reliable bags. It adds a lot of room in a given length bag, and it lets them stand on their own without leaning against something. And if the bags are truly leakproof, then that is an advantage over my Reliable bags. For me its no big deal that my bag seeps since its either in my boat or in the bed of my pickup, but when I loan it to friends to take fish home and they put it inside a car, they have to put it on plastic bags or a tarp to keep from smelling up the car.

Last edited:
And now that I've clicked on the bag photos I see a couple of other neat things. The built in straps with buckles for storage are a nice touch. I have to bring my own straps to roll the bag tight enough to fit in a compartment below deck, and they tend to get misplaced. And the valve to add air for insulation sounds interesting. I've never seen that on other bags. If my Reliable bag wears out before I do, I'll definitely try one of these Mako bags to replace it.

And now that I've clicked on the bag photos I see a couple of other neat things. The built in straps with buckles for storage are a nice touch. I have to bring my own straps to roll the bag tight enough to fit in a compartment below deck, and they tend to get misplaced. And the valve to add air for insulation sounds interesting. I've never seen that on other bags. If my Reliable bag wears out before I do, I'll definitely try one of these Mako bags to replace it.
Thanks Bill:

I really tried to do my homework on these bags and incorporated the best features and most robust construction I could find.

As for the question of rinsing gear, the bags are waterproof, so there should be no problem in using as a rinse/soak solution.

Thanks
dano

Reactions: Leander
Anything that holds water is good for rinsing gear but a bucket is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Anything that holds water is good for rinsing gear but a bucket is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Yes, it is but it is MUCH easier to travel with a folded bag than a bucket. Same thing can be said about a solid cooler vs. a bag for fish.

Good point. I was thinking of large bags like mine and I don't travel with it, but a small one would fold up floor travel.

Reactions: DivingNomad
How durable are these with fish spines? The fish have pretty sharp spikes that just love going into my hands, so I'd imagine they'd probably go into these also?

How durable are these with fish spines? The fish have pretty sharp spikes that just love going into my hands, so I'd imagine they'd probably go into these also?
I've been using bags of two different brands for at least 25 years and have never had a puncture. In Southern California they have almost completely replaced hard coolers for large fish. They even have versions large enough to tuna. I think the spines of dead fish are pretty relaxed against the fish. Something like sculpin or scorpion fish might be an exception though.

Here's my 60 inch bag last week.

Attachments

• IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 215
Hmm, I've never handled a yellowtail, but it looks like they're not too spiny. I'm here on the East coast and thinking of the smaller one to strap onto a kayak. Lot of spiny fish here including fish like the black sea bass below. With those sliding back and forth, would be concerned with them poking through.

sea-bass.jpg

Hmm, I've never handled a yellowtail, but it looks like they're not too spiny. I'm here on the East coast and thinking of the smaller one to strap onto a kayak. Lot of spiny fish here including fish like the black sea bass below. With those sliding back and forth, would be concerned with them poking through.

sea-bass.jpg
If those spines stay erect when the fish is dead, it might be a problem.

With respect to the issue of fish spines.....

That is a good question...Just like most high quality fish bag suppliers, we use a heavy duty PVC lining, but I it is possible.

However, in addition to having a wide mouth drain valve to drain the melted ice and for washing the inside of the bag, our bags also have an "air valve" for increased insulation. This air valve only breaches the outer layer of the bag and not the inner lining. So, if water were to enter into a puncture hole, from the inside, you can open the air valve and it will drain out of the air valve. Another reason to get a fish bag with both a drain valve and an air valve.

Thanks!
dano

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT