• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

MAKO Spearguns: Ditching Your “Tin Man Pinch Weights”

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mar 22, 2009
Dear Spearos,

As many of you know, Jeff DeRocher (aka Tin Man) designed the “Tin Man Pinch Weights”. Because Tin Man was busy with other commitments, he entrusted MAKO Spearguns with the manufacturing, sales and customer support for his invention and we were quite honored to do so.

Prior to this relationship with MAKO Spearguns, Tin Man made the following offer to any customer using his “Tin Man Pinch Weights”:

If you ever have to ditch your pinch weights in an honest dive emergency, I will replace them at half price. But there is a catch. You have to post the story for all of us to learn from.

Recently, I was asked if MAKO Spearguns would honor this same offer. In continuing Jeff’s unwavering trust and his commitment the dive community, MAKO Spearguns will gladly continue this replacement offer. Additionally, if you were wearing a MAKO weight belt, the same offer will apply.

In a true emergency, you should not be thinking about the cost of ditching.
Just ditch.

Thanks guys for taking time to read this. And thanks again Jeff for entrusting us with such a fine product.

Dive safe,
dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mpw2.htm

Reactions: Mr. X and devondave
Love it. That should contribute to diver/Mako-customer safety.

Like those Tin-Man Pinch weights. Like an enhancement to the RA/Allton weights. I was told to lock the RA weights in place with a gentle tap of a hammer - which works very well, and is reversible if you don't over do it .

When I was first starting out, I accidently lost my dive belt & weights while crossing a rock barrier in shallow water in choppy conditions. Took a while before I realised it had gone. I reckon the tip of my Marseille belt probably snagged on the rough rock. [I now use cheap, easy-to-break, bands to hold the tip of the belt snug against the belt - which has worked well for several years.] Pity, it was a nice RA belt.

Last edited:
Dano, that's great to hear.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit my affection for my Tin Man weights, but they are so superior to any other weight.

Its good to know I can get them replaced at low cost if necessary.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…