• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

maldives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

goldband

Jun 30, 2005
just curious if any spearos in the forum have had the chance to get in the water around the Maldives. im desperatly searching for some info regarding the area and potential hotposts?

I belive Spearfishing is banned in the Maldives.

Island_Sands would be the best one to ask.

Spearfishing is banned but I think hand slings are allowed - not 100% sure though. Would be an awesome spot otherwise

grahamfoster said:
Spearfishing is banned but I think hand slings are allowed - not 100% sure though. Would be an awesome spot otherwise

none of the above.. only line fishing...

there are fantastic liveaboards for fishing trips

Rani
Sultan of Madivaru (most recommended, their fishing hits the spots like a predator itself)
Sea Queen

so the taking of fish in the entire atoll of the maldives is totally banned???? cameron kirkconnel told me he had speared in the sth atoll?? so it would be stupid to take my guns?

No legal spearfishing in Maldives. Actually, it is treated very much like conservation area.

I think it would be stupid to take your guns. You'll be arriving on the plane. It is not easy to hide the guns and customs officials might not like it. Probably the easiest way is if you know local spearo.

Buy camera. :D

goldband said:
so the taking of fish in the entire atoll of the maldives is totally banned???? cameron kirkconnel told me he had speared in the sth atoll?? so it would be stupid to take my guns?

Try to enter Maldives with your speargun and it will be confiscated on the spot, you will be given a receipt and it will be returned to you on your way out. The same as if you try to take in a bottle of alcohol and they catch you with it.

Dont know who this Kirkconnel guy is but its possible he went with locals. If you get caught spearing in Maldives you will be deported, and if they are feeling mean they may jail you for a couple of weeks first. BELIEVE ME you do not want to experience Maldivian jails...

The Maldives is more than one atoll.. perhaps in the far north (2 days by boat) you may be able to get away with it.

Take the advice given to you. The maldivian authorities are not lenient in any way.

Hi ☺

Im a local spearo from Maldives. Spearfishing is awesome our here, check out some of my videos.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So have things changed, are people allowed to spearfish now?

Hi ☺

Im a local spearo from Maldives. Spearfishing is awesome our here, check out some of my videos.

hi,we will go to maldives on March, we are looking for some ppl who can take us to spearfishing, can you help us?
we are from hongkong, we have all the gears , we had played once there , the police stopped us and took all the guns away

Yes using a speargun is still banned here.. mostly we use pole spear. But if u want I can help u rent speargun.

Yes using a speargun is still banned here.. mostly we use pole spear. But if u want I can help u rent speargun.

thank you very much!
keep in touch
we will send some parts of the spearguns to male and dismantle everything and have a try.
can we play spearfishing there together with u?
send email to me
13005475076@163.com
btw, where is your island?

thank you very much!
keep in touch
we will send some parts of the spearguns to male and dismantle everything and have a try.
can we play spearfishing there together with u?
send email to me
13005475076@163.com
btw, where is your island?
I live in the capital city Male'. Yeah we can go hunting together[emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wait....did you say using a speargun is banned, but you can help him rent a speargun anyway????????

I live in the capital city Male'. Yeah we can go hunting together[emoji106]

that will be a lot of fun ! but the problem for me and my crew is how to bring spearguns to Maldives , I know it is very strict there.
we want to use our own spearguns , thanks a lot anyway , but I guess maybe some of my teammates may need rent yours:)

If ur using Rob Allen's just disassemble all pack serparate.. u should be fine... Russians go that a lot

In the Maldives.... it's who you know! I've seen plenty of guys spearfishing on local islands.

Reactions: akkosons
Hello Spearos
We Spearos from Maldives are in talk with the government on legalizing Spearfishing in the Maldives. You can follow this link on the latest updates

Pls give us support and feedbacks so that we can open the doors to the Spearos around the world

This is a very confusing thread. I'm from South Africa and working in seychelles and it's totally illegal here.

Hello Spearos
We Spearos from Maldives are in talk with the government on legalizing Spearfishing in the Maldives. You can follow this link on the latest updates

Pls give us support and feedbacks so that we can open the doors to the Spearos around the world

It is not an easy matter. You as a local spearo in Maldives, would probably want to preserve your fishing grounds from swaths of spearos fishing coral reefs clean. It could be a huge impact on dive outfits. There is a saying, that fish around known dive spots worth more alive. I guess you know all that. If I was in Maldives, I would probably want to safeguard a few local ecosystems as a national park (don't touch-don't take-don't break). And I would probably secure my fishing grounds to local spearo's only, through licensing. I would also try to secure the business opportunity by allowing speafishing by visitors only through a select few boat charter outfits with set limits, fish size, species etc, and a government fee.

If you want to legalize spearfishing in Maldives, you will have to separate a trophy tourism spearfishing, from local spearos foraging for food. This will work both ways and serve good everybody.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT