• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

mammalian diving reflex- Trigger?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jenks

Nov 16, 2007
Hi all,

questions

Have been experimenting with breath holding (all out of water) over the past few days, reading and hopefully learning as i go. Started thursday with a breath hold of 1.05, yesterday 2.05 and felt contractions for the first time, today 2.20 but i found i had a really mild headache for about an hour afterwards, is this normal? am i pushing to fast too soon?

how do i trigger the mammalian dive reflex???

and also i was considering trying apnea walking any training tips?

Thanks

im new... so im just gonna post wut i know... i think the dive reflex is caused by dunking your face in cold water... or at least water that isnt warm... as for the headaches, cant help ya there

Yes, facial immersion is one of the main triggers of diving reflex, but there are other factors that have an influence on the diving response: breath-holding alone; cold (beside the face, especially on the limbs); moderate stress; depth (pressure); high CO2 level; hypoxia; training (it is proved that trained freedivers have stronger and quicker diving response).

At the facial immersion, the area around eyes (12.5% each) and the forehead (15%) are most important, so the reflex is stronger without any mask or goggles. See the picture from a document by a freediving research Erika Schagatay below for more details:
reflex.gif

that is a very interesting point... diving without any form of eye covering is probably the best reflex... am i right??

Yes, then all areas that Trux mentioned are covered with water, and the colder the water the stronger the diving reflex will be.

mind you though, while diving with no form of eye cover may induce the best "reflex", there may be added stress involved with not being able to see, or seeing blurry, or a sense of claustrophobia because of either.

While your reflex may be stronger, the added stress might counter act any benefits.

This isn't guaranteed, just another variable to think about.

Well, the stress is in fact also quite positive - it makes the diving response even stronger and oxygen consumption lower. Although subjectively you may have the the opposite feeling, under stress or fear you will manage to keep much longer before getting dangerously hypoxic.

Yes, that is right so for me the best solution is wearing fluid goggles.

Well, the stress is in fact also quite positive - it makes the diving response even stronger and oxygen consumption lower. Although subjectively you may have the the opposite feeling, under stress or fear you will manage to keep much longer before getting dangerously hypoxic.

hmmm i figured my heart rate would go up, and with it 02 use..?

No, not necessarily. Stress in these conditions will normally support the diving reflex, releasing vasoconstricting hormones. Extreme stress with adrenaline release may be counterproductive (though there are some positive effects too anyway), but moderate stress will play well with diving reflex. Read documents by Sebastian Murat - he often mentions stress as an important factor for a good diving reflex, and even attempts creating some artificially, since the common factors at diving that would induce stress at beginners do no more work with experienced divers like himself.

Cold water up your sinuses is the strongest (by far) trigger of the dive reflex for most people. It will often cause instantaneous contractions in many divers.

water in the sinuses stinks..ok heres what i wanna know...what can a regular old inhale, deep breath freediver do to quicker have the reflex kick in? i tried getting used to frc dives but i freak out everytime; the contractions are so bad that i can't handle them for more than a few seconds. i guess you cant have the reflex kick in without horrible contractions, or can you?
Are there any sites or documents anyone knows about that go really in depth about the reflex without getting little pieces here and there?
-Brian

Cold water up your sinuses is the strongest (by far) trigger of the dive reflex for most people. It will often cause instantaneous contractions in many divers.

whoa there... if i get water up my nose its curtains for that dive... :naughty

You can try to float face down, take off your mask, do a partial exhale, open your mouth (filled with water) get some water in your nose, and wait for 5-6 contractions while moving your head left and right to cause water to flow over your eyes. Then take your head out of the water, put your mask back on, and start diving.... Some discomfort is needed to initiate a good diving reflex.

hmmm... i just might try that... if it means getting a better reflex, then i might put up with discomfort... thanks

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT