• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

man do i have a story to tell you!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sixshooter4

May 15, 2008
Man do I have a story to tell yall….

It all started about 4 years ago when a friend told me of a little fishing bananza that happens ever few years. We have a lot of man made lakes here in Texas and about once every 10-15 years they will drain these lakes down to about 2 foot of water in order to make repairs on the dams and walls. so BEFORE THEY DRAIN IT (yes the lake is 100% natural at the time, so there is no unfair advantage) The Texas Parks and Wildlife association make a special exception to most state laws for fishing on occasions like this. The rules are simple. No limits on any species except catfish (they can take the low O2 levels better) there are no size limits on any fish and you can use any method to take them except electricity and explosions. :inlove:inlove:inlove

I showed up to my first lake drain with a cast net and fishing rods and went to work. I caught tons of fish! It was a fantastic day and I was sure I had outdone the rest of the fisherman in every way until I saw a young man walk out of the lake with a supergun and string FULL of fish. I went and talked with him as we cleaned our catches and quickly became intrigued by the sport of spearfishing. I bought my first set of gear a week later and began to hunt. that was over 4 years ago.
Me a john (the man who was spearfishing) became friend and yesterday he called me up and said another lake drain was going down and it was time to put my skills to the test. He bet me $100 on the days catch (largest and most total pounds). :friday

it is about a 35 acre lake, I brought a friend named Ian and using only JBL 6ft pole spears we went to work. 4 hours later it was time to tally the days catch. I am proud to say I made john look like a little school girl with my fish. I had 3 fish that broke the 7lb mark and we didn’t even bother measuring the total weight of our fish. Tonight I am throwing a cookout and we are going to eat like kings! My friend Ian also landed two fish over the 5lb mark and is now hooked for life ha ha!

P.S. these are the largest freshwater bass i have ever cought on rod and reel or otherwise. there are 6 smallmouth and 2 gogle eye bass!!!

Here are the pictured of today’s catch! Enjoy. I also have some photos of how much fish it really is! (i did alot more to them before i started cooking them)

Attachments

• IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Whats the water viz like? Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun...congrats on the $100!

The buzz was right at 12ft and we had an amazing time!!! Thanks! The $100 will go twords my next trip ha ha
Posted via Mobile Device

That is really interesting & a great opportunity too.
So are you allowed to fish the lake before the drain & what happens to the remaining fish during the repair period?

like i said its a different lake almost every time, some you could fish before the drain others are just boating or swimming lakes.

the whole reason to allow all the fisherman in is to cut down on the population of fish in the lake, when the lake has less water the o2 Levels in the water drop dramatically and without the reduced populations twice as many fish will die. the lake has this "open season" rule for about a week before they start the drain. TPWD says that in that time they estimate about 1/3 of the fish in the lake are harvested. (we have hundreds of people come on the weekend of it being open, that’s why me and john just dive the first opening morning... there are to many fishing lines and people even by that afternoon to have a safe dive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT