• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Managing weight belts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

berta_c

May 13, 2024
Quick question re: trimming my rubber weight belt. Right now the peg is in the 6th hole from the end (=15" of extra belt flapping around; it doesn't stay tucked, and it's making me crazy). How much can I get rid of and still have enough to accomodate an extra weight, give my safety something to grab if needed, etc?

Quick question re: trimming my rubber weight belt. Right now the peg is in the 6th hole from the end (=15" of extra belt flapping around; it doesn't stay tucked, and it's making me crazy). How much can I get rid of and still have enough to accomodate an extra weight, give my safety something to grab if needed, etc?
Hi " berta_c "
Please look at the 3 pictures.
For the last (OK in green) the free length of the rubber belt must be easy to grab … under the water.

Attachments

• Lest 1.png
    Lest 1.png
    101 KB · Views: 56
  • Lest 2.png
    Lest 2.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Lest 3.png
    Lest 3.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 56
@dcvf, thank you kindly. My problem is, my #3 ("OK") arrangement becomes a #1 with my first dive - the extra just slips right out and then flaps around. Is it safe for me to cut off 6-9" (so I only have 6-9" extra beyond the peg, instead of 15"), do you think? Or is it that I really just need a crotch strap (I'm getting one asap), and then once my belt stays put, the flap will stay put too? Thanks for your help -

Can't say how safe it is but I have fitted 3 or 4 thinnish rubber bands near the buckle of my RA Marseille-style weight-belt. Had them on there for several years. If I find the opposite belt-end flapping around excessively, I tuck it under 1 or 2 or 3 bands, rather like a traditional belt end retainer loop. I figure I could easily pull it free or break the thin bands in an emergency.

My reason for doing this, beyond those already mentioned, was because I lost my weight- belt when I first started diving, I think probably lost it when I was washed over a shore reef as I came into shore. I say "probably" because I did not feel or hear it release, only noticed when I was standing on shore, packing up.

(Happened at Newton's Cove, Weymouth years ago now. RA dive belt, mixed weights including one or more yellow SCUBA-style weights. Likely very close to low rocky shore in the adjacent park, just below a park bench ;) ).

Reactions: berta_c
Can't say how safe it is but I have fitted 3 or 4 thinnish rubber bands near the buckle of my RA Marseille-style weight-belt. Had them on there for several years. If I find the opposite belt-end flapping around excessively, I tuck it under 1 or 2 or 3 bands, rather like a traditional belt end retainer loop. I figure I could easily pull it free or break the thin bands in an emergency.

My reason for doing this, beyond those already mentioned, was because I lost my weight- belt when I first started diving, I think probably lost it when I was washed over a shore reef as I came into shore. I say "probably" because I did not feel or hear it release, only noticed when I was standing on shore, packing up.

(Happened at Newton's Cove, Weymouth years ago now. RA dive belt, mixed weights including one or more yellow SCUBA-style weights. Likely very close to low rocky shore in the adjacent park, just below a park bench ;) ).
@Mr.X thanks! (I like simple :)

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi " berta_c "
You wrote :
« My problem is, my #3 ("OK") arrangement becomes a #1 with my first dive - the extra just slips right out and then flaps around. »

I think your weight belt isn't tight enough on your hips.
That can be achieved with the buckle here below (more accurate). Plastic is ok for me.
Amazon product ASIN B004U8CPY2

Reactions: berta_c
Hi " berta_c "
You wrote :
« My problem is, my #3 ("OK") arrangement becomes a #1 with my first dive - the extra just slips right out and then flaps around. »

I think your weight belt isn't tight enough on your hips.
That can be achieved with the buckle here below (more accurate). Plastic is ok for me.
Amazon product ASIN B004U8CPY2
@dcvf thanks - your pic won't display, but I take your point - with the preset holes in my rubber belt, it could be (even though it *feels* like I'm jamming it down securely around my hips), that as soon as I do one back-kick upside down, that scoots it up again. My teacher says most women will need a crotch strap to avoid that, simply because of the way our hips are built (and she's lean).

But how much of the tail *can I cut off, any thoughts on that? Thanks a million...

Hi " berta_c "
You must be able to grab easily under the water without looking at the free end of your weight belt PLUS 5 cm (2 inch).
But what says your teacher about the length?
The buckle I prefer is at 5:45 on the video

Hi @dcvf - now I can see the video, thx! And I think you're spot on w/the buckle idea - I have the pin-and-hole type, and think the width I need is somewhere inbetween the preset holes - so in order to not have it up around my waist, I've been using the next wider setting, and then just jamming it further down on my hips (which lasts about 3 sec underwater...) That wouldn't be an issue with your buckle choice, it's infinitely adaptable.

My teacher (I just now asked her thx for the nudge) says for now - before I buy a new belt - maybe try the tighter setting, cuz I might compress underwater just enough for it to work.

She also said she's actually got different belts for pool and for open-water - she's just cut a bunch of extra tail off her pool belt, so it's short for training - but she does leave 10-12" extra on her open-water one, and uses the thin rubberband trick - (mentioned by @Mr. X :) - as a keeper. She has it just past her first weight in front.

Thanks so much to everyone for advice and suggestions - what a supportive community!
Berta

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT