• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mannysub rubbers Anyone used them?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cooper666

Jan 5, 2011
Hi peoples, I'm looking for some nice progressive rubbers and a local dealer is reporting that the Mannysub's are the bomb for rollers and general use. They reckon 400% stretch is possible and that they are not so spongy that they can't move a heavy spear. They stated that they are not the most powerful rubber but are very nice to use. Anyone used these? If you could share your experience it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

I have found the Salvimar green to be the most progressive rubbers & the Manny sub to be the most reactive. I bought several meters of several brands in one go last year to compare & I'm mates with Manny but his rubber isn't one Id choose if there was another choice. I do like the progressive rubber like salvimar on normal band guns, as I can get 400% stretch & the spear doesnt jump out of the trigger as hard as with a reactive rubber. This gives me better accuracy as the gun doesnt recoil as much in my hand & the spear doesn't flex as much, expecially if we are getting close to maximum spear performance. The two guns on the left below were set up with a 6" 3/8 spear & identical in wieght the one with green rubbers recoiled less was more accurate & shot further than the one with the "black coated american amber" rubber (rubbers were cut after this photo & the green ended up a wee biy shorter than the others because it was easy to get extra stretch from it). The black rubber is about half way between the green & the red progressive/reactive ( & much more affordable! if that is a consideration). I shot these guns two or three time with the red rubbers & removed them immediately. I know some folks think they are getting more power if the gun recoils more or the rubbers are harder to load, I was of a similar opinion until I started to use the green rubber & do some testing & comparison for myself. I dont use roller guns so cant comment on them.

14725524_364741897202398_4411420404983636216_n.jpg

Bloody serious looking guns! Thanks for the info though, it's hard to believe vendors these days. I'd much rather listen to people that aren't trying to sell things. How do you reckon a single 16mm salvimar @400% stretch would go pushing a 7mm 1.4m spear?
My gut tells me that I'd need a couple of them to take out a good size fish with a bit of girth eg 20 kg mackerel.

image.jpeg
In my comp guns ( first on the left in photo) I am using a single 16mm rubber on a 1.6m 7mm spear ATM. It wouldn't be my first choice for a mackerel or kingfish gun, but I can still shoot them if the opportunity arises & I do my bit well. My first choice for a mackerel, kingy, dolphin fish gun ATM is one shooting a 1.9m 7.5mm spear with two 16 mm rubbers at about 350% stretch ( second from left). The gun is also balasted with about 400gms of lead to control recoil.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT