• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares Cyrano Parts Diagram (Annotated)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Mares have not published an exploded parts diagram for the later models (Cyrano Evo and Cyrano HF), but I finally completed the one for the earlier gun as that drawing and a separate parts list have been around for some time. Dealers no doubt have a service drawing in the Mares repair manual for the guns, but it has yet to be shown on the Web.
Cyrano parts diagram.jpg

The slider assembly 38 is actually the power regulator knob, but Mares have that name on their list. It is sometimes referred to as the cursor in older instruction documents.

Last edited:
Reactions: marco15499
Look and ye shall find. With a bit of keyhole surgery I pieced this diagram together from an Italian site as the image was not able to be saved, but it could be done in segments, like a jigsaw of small blocks.
Cyrano Evo parts diagram.jpg

I don’t really understand why Mares did not publish it as the instruction manual for these guns tells you nothing about the gun's innards. Now that the "cat is out of the bag" maybe Mares will release it themselves in better definition as I enlarged this one so that it could be read without resorting to a magnifying glass.

Last edited:
Here I have annotated the drawing for the "Cyrano Evo" and added some more part names where possible. Part 40 is a mystery for now.
Cyrano Evo parts diagram annotated.jpg

This looks like the round tank version of the "Cyrano Evo" and bar the cylindrical tank and the larger plastic nose cone/front bulkhead it should be virtually identical in the parts layout to the HF model.
pezzi-di-ricambio-per-fucile-mares-cyrano.png

Many years ago Mares routinely supplied these exploded parts drawings in the instruction manual, or owner's handbook, with every new gun, but they stopped doing it when the first "Cyrano" was released. The reasoning seemed to be to discourage owners from opening their guns up and instead leaving this job to their service departments. However this was a forlorn hope as finding a service centre was often impossible due to the geographical locations not making this convenient or practical. I hope that this is remedied for future pneumatic gun offerings as many gun owners have the expertise to undertake such tasks as did their fathers, or grandfathers, in years gone by. If anything access to tools has improved and Russian companies such as “Taimen” even sell special tools to assist in the dismantling of their guns.

The "Cyrano HFT" should be the same as the above, but with the metal trigger and line release lever and possibly a different muzzle. The part numbers may not be the same in terms of the codes for each part, however we don't know what they are as Mares don't show them here. When the original "Cyrano" was released it was years before the parts lists became available as they were never in the owner's handbook and only went out to Mares dealers and repair centres.
Cyrano parts.jpg

By comparing the codes you can tell if say a rear grip handle has had a change that may not be obvious at first glance. Although the rear handle of the "Cyrano Evo" may look the same as the later version with the metal trigger, it may be a different part as Edosub advise that the metal trigger and line release lever are not able to be retrofitted to the "Cyrano Evo".
Cyrano handle spare parts latest version.jpg
Cyrano Evo and Cyrano rear grips.jpg

Last edited:
Pete, thanks for all the great photos. I just wanted to confirm, which I did thanks to your photos, that I can remove the pin holding the blue TPE part of the handle in place on the Cyrano 1.1 70. I wish to remove that huge, clanking metal clip they put on there for a float line.

The plastic loop on the butt of the handle core is where you are meant to attach a trailing line, but under some circumstances this plastic loop may be snapped off, it depends on what is hauling your gun after you have let it go. The handle base fixing pin can be pushed out easily enough using a drift slightly thinner than the 3 mm dia. pin (part 22). The softer blue/orange plastic part 2 provides the flexible flanges that hold the hand loader in the hollow of the grip handle. If you grub along the bottom then the hand loader can be pulled out without you realising it! Best place for the loader is on your wrist using an elastic loop, that way it will not anchor you to the bottom at a bad moment, throw the supplied attachment cord away or incorporate it into an elastic loop.
hand loaders.JPG

Last edited:
The strongest part of a pneumatic speargun is the inner barrel clamp formed by the muzzle, the inner barrel and the inlet valve body that are all screwed together as a unit. If you in-line rig a pneumatic speargun so that the fish drags the gun and the rig line attached to the rear of the gun and a trailing float then the strongest set-up is a metal line anchor plate inserted between the muzzle and the gun's nose cone and a metal screw plug with a line attachment eye that replaces the inlet valve cap. This would provide the strongest link as except for screw threads being stripped the inner barrel would need to be pulled in half for the gun to fail.

A design exercise done for the Russian "Taimen" shows this arrangement as this particular gun's clamshell molded handle has no reinforcing rod connecting the handle butt to the main gun body, thus a handle butt attachment ring or loop for a rig line would have no strength and the handle could be torn off by a large specimen.
Taimen eyelet RX.jpg

inline rigging.jpg

The above diagram is not to scale. Note that the "Taimen" nose cone and muzzle are the same item, therefore the front anchor point is a metallic connection.

For a "Cyrano" the line attachment rear eye would look like this, made either of alloy or stainless steel.
Mares Cyrano Evo rear eye.jpg

In order to stop the line twisting and undoing the attachment eye a swivel connection could be used. Preferably the rear threaded section of the inlet valve body would be lengthened rearwards in order to increase the bearing surface available to a longer plug or cap than is used now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the further info. I mostly spear reef fish, and none so large that I am worried about anything breaking, and I don't use a float line. The largest thing I have speared is a barracuda that bent my barbs on my tip and pulled off the spear. I do keep my loader on the wrist but with a plastic cinch cord, for now. On my smaller guns, I am using a keyring spool attached to the handle and push the loader in the receptacle in the handle, and spool it out for reloads; very convenient. I am looking for a longer spool for the longer guns.

I recently wrote to Mares (Italy) and asked if they had a parts number list for the Cyrano Evo and HF and included a copy of their diagram shown above. Their reply is shown below.

ci dispiace, non abbiamo un elenco di numeri di parte. (translation: sorry, we don't have a part number list.)

Somehow I don’t believe it, but at least it was worth a try.

This is the list that Mares told me did not exist. For the original Evo with the orange trim.
MARES CYRANO EVO PARTS LIST EXTRACT.jpg

Part numbers now added to diagram. Note some parts are only available as assemblies.
Cyrano Evo parts diagram annotated numbers.jpg

Note the H kit is the line release lever kit, not the "line slide" kit as shown on the diagram (translation error).

Last edited:
As there is very little about the later model Cyrano guns on-line I have been looking at the availability of spare parts and hence looking for clues there. My own Cyrano (blue grip) gun is the cylindrical tank 13 mm, so there are no surprises there. However I have just found an advert for the Cyrano muzzles and it shows a nose cone for the HF model which is at variance to what we see in the exploded parts diagram above. Rather than the front bulkhead being part of the muzzle and it carrying a separate plastic ring moulding which holds the front line hook and line anchor this photo shows a moulding with these parts all integrated in one unit. Guns using this part will just use a standard muzzle as the "O" rings to seal the tank nose are now mounted in this mini plastic nose cone. I have never pulled a HF gun apart, but does this mean Mares have changed the front end of the HF gun?
MARES OGIVA CYRANO.jpg

The "O" ring kit for the new Cyrano models.
Here is the "O" ring chart and the rings supplied are for the Cyrano Evo HF, although they provide 3 body rings, hence the third large ring can serve as the front seal used in the cylindrical tank gun's full diameter nose cone. That means the kit can be used for both tank versions of the Evo. The Cyrano 1.3 would need a 13 mm piston ring and different rings required by its larger OD inner barrel, namely the barrel to nose cone and the barrel to power regulator block (pre-chamber bulkhead) "O" rings. To aid identification I have added the small gun diagram and red ID letters to the original chart, plus the short descriptions included alongside each ring.
Cyrano Evo O ring kit annotated with diag.jpg

Note that the kit does have a 13 mm piston ring, but this is used as a friction ring on the safety lever control switch. Apparently the Cyrano 1.3 now uses a new piston ring as it is shown on the parts list as OR 9 X 2, Mares part number 43201402. This may indicate why the Evo has a new ring in the kit labelled as part number 46200299 on the chart which by process of elimination must be the piston ring. Formerly this 11 mm piston ring was OR 2031, part number 46110107. A kit of 10 of these OR 2031 rings is listed for the original Evo as part number 46201255, however it looks like Mares have changed their piston rings in the latest version of these guns. Slight dimensional or compound changes may be involved, but currently I don’t have that information. Judging by the chart silhouette the new 11 mm piston ring is a little smaller in OD than the previous ring, but there is next to nothing in it. The charts are for sorting which ring is which in a pack, but they are not necessarily true to size.

The quickest way to identify the Evo diagram is to look for the worthless two piece trigger which was moulded in back and orange, you cannot miss it at the bottom of the parts diagram. Mares did not waste their time in producing a hydroformed tank Cyrano 1.3, so it only has a cylindrical tank, for all intents and purposes a new Sten after the Sten 2001 model. Until some track record says otherwise the Sten 2001 model is the gun to buy.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT