• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares cyrano replacement piston

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dr.Phil

Aug 13, 2010
Hi everyone,
the white plastic part of the piston assembly of my Cyrano 700 broke, do anyone know where I can find a replacement piston. I have not receive any news from Mares regarding this issue.

Cyran_700_piston.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Phil from Montreal

Just ordered my replacement piston along with a few other things .( :D

Thanks a lot,

Phil

How long was the gun in service before this happened? I assume that the spear was no longer being retained by the piston and fell out.

How long was the gun in service before this happened? I assume that the spear was no longer being retained by the piston and fell out.

The gun was in service for 2 years and was only used for 10 dive and around 100 shoots.

The problem was that I could not load the spear inside the barrel more then 1 inch.

When loading the spear, the pressure applied on the broken white plastic was increasing the diameter of that part of the piston and It would not fit in the main cylinder anymore.

The damage of the cylinder was probably done when I had to load the speargun without loader on my last dive....Pushing the spear again the bottom near the shore is not a good idea since it is hard to be perfectly parralel and in control of the spear entering the cylinder.

I learned it the hard way....at least I got myself a nice Cayman HF2 this summer and I can still enjoy spearfishing while waiting for the part.

Loading the speargun with the tip held against a hard surface by pressing down on the rear of the gun means that the sliding stop ring will not be sitting in the locating recess made for it in the face of the muzzle (due to gravity), so you lose some of the shaft centralizing action at the front of the muzzle when the spear shaft first slides into the barrel. It is interesting to note that modern pneumatic speargun muzzles have a reduced bore incorporated in the actual nose of the aluminium muzzle body and then a bore of similar size through the plastic shock absorber body located directly behind it. Older Mares "Sten" guns with metal pistons just used the metal shock absorber body and the sliding stop ring to align the spear shaft at the muzzle, so the muzzle bodies were shorter in length than they are today. The all-metal muzzle parts were more tolerant of shaft loading misalignments (no cracking problems), but sometimes air would blow past the piston seal if the piston was canted over inside the inner barrel.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT