• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares Phantom FV 110. Jammed spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alantech

Dec 5, 2015
Hey guys,

I have a Mares gun with the spear jammed into the gun and won't release. I am trying to remove the entire trigger mech but it won't come out. Does anybody have a service manual or has seen this happen before?

Alan

I've had a spear that would not lock into the mech before (on an RA railgun) - it had me effin' & blindin' as I was in a pretty exposed position with a current at the time. It was caused by sand & grit roughing up fibres in the trigger mech.'s plastic parts, which caused the plastic line release to get stuck, thereby locking up the whole mechanim. A heavier stainless steel line release likely would not have got stuck, because of its greater weight & lack of fibres/smoothness. Either way I believe RA use a spring to push the line release down these days.

Trigger mech. cassettes - if that's what it has - are usually held in with plastic (&/or possibly stainless-steel) dowels that just need to be pushed out firmly (e.g. using a punch, carefully). Your mileage may vary...

They normally recommend not using lube on spearguns but if the above doesn't work, try soaking in warm water (to expand the hole(s), to separate & thereby break any binding and to dissolve any salt build-up) & try again, and if that doesn't work, I wonder if a little silicone spray might help (I haven't tried it though and it might cause damage)?

I've had a spear that would not lock into the mech before (on an RA railgun) - it had me effin' & blindin' as I was in a pretty exposed position with a current at the time. It was caused by sand & grit roughing up fibres in the trigger mech.'s plastic parts, which caused the plastic line release to get stuck, thereby locking up the whole mechanim. A heavier stainless steel line release likely would not have got stuck, because of its greater weight & lack of fibres/smoothness. Either way I believe RA use a spring to push the line release down these days.

Trigger mech. cassettes - if that's what it has - are usually held in with plastic (&/or possibly stainless-steel) dowels that just need to be pushed out firmly (e.g. using a punch, carefully). Your mileage may vary...

They normally recommend not using lube on spearguns but if the above doesn't work, try soaking in warm water (to expand the hole(s), to separate & thereby break any binding and to dissolve any salt build-up) & try again, and if that doesn't work, I wonder if a little silicone spray might help (I haven't tried it though and it might cause damage)?

Thanks for the reply. The silicone spray didn't seem to help much but on closer inspection I found some grit inside the mech. I got out the hose and forcefully sprayed into the mech from different angles. After that I could get the spear to release and it's back to normal. Seems I must have got some sand inside it after coming in from the surf.

Alan

Yes, I used to get little tiny pebbles, maybe 1mm diameter, sticking to the inside of my speargun - it is just in the water in some locations.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT