• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Marseille belts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fishstab

Jun 16, 2020
Just received a Picasso Marseille belt, I’m a 34 waist but have probably 40cm of slack hanging from my when the belt is done up tight.

I appreciate I need a loose end to work the quick release if needed but this seems excessive, is it common to trim belts down if needed?

Yes, it is common to trim belts. But do it with planning. You need to install all the weights you expect to use, and put it on over your wetsuit. Doing that will use up a lot of the slack. Be conservative, once you cut you can't put it back!

Yes, it is common to trim belts. But do it with planning. You need to install all the weights you expect to use, and put it on over your wetsuit. Doing that will use up a lot of the slack. Be conservative, once you cut you can't put it back!

What he said ^ and I'll also add that do what he said and don't cut it until you have dove with it a couple of times and you are certain of how much you need to cut and then cut it less than half of what you think you need to cut and try it again.

What he said ^ and I'll also add that do what he said and don't cut it until you have dove with it a couple of times and you are certain of how much you need to cut and then cut it less than half of what you think you need to cut and try it again.

As everyone else above stated, mine was very long and annoying so I trimmed 1/3 off when belt was tightened with weights On, then went for a dive then ended up trimming a bit more, i think 2 of ur fists length TAIL after tight is a good length, easy to grab, and not a nusence

I wanted to do it, then I bought a thicker suit, put more weights and was left with about 15cm.

I trimmed too much and I regretted it. I sold it to someone in Florida, as if you wear a thicker wetsuit and more weight in cold water, you will need more belt. I bought the same belt from Mako, I have not cut it and the extra slack does not bother me. The Marseille does not slide as the belts with a regular buckle do. I advise you to dive a few times with the belt uncut. My waist for jeans is size 31 inches.

As above, yes you can cut it. Just make sure you factor in everything that might go on your belt, such as:

Weights, D-rings, waist-stringer, Iki jime spike, knife, any attachment to weight vest, etc.

Esp. weights. And also your additional girth due to wetsuit.

Also factor in anticipated pie consumption for the next 10 years ;) And then leave a generous tail.

I use some loose, weak rubber bands to keep the end loosely in place. Leaving the end stuck out, it can knock against things annoyingly and could release unintentionally. Not normal practice, just what I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: floatingbeatle
As above, yes you can cut it. Just make sure you factor in everything that might go on your belt, such as:

Weights, D-rings, waist-stringer, Iki jime spike knife any attachment to weight vest, etv.

Esp. weights. And also your additional girth due to wetsuit.

Also factor in anticipated pie consumption for the next 10 years ;) And then leave a generous tail.

I use some loose, weak rubber bands to keep the end loosely in place. Leaving the end stuck out, it can knock against things annoyingly and could release unintentionally. Not normal practice, just what I do.
As per Mr X has stated. I have not touched my belt and simply tuck it in. Have had no problem in relieving my belt as one time needing to ditch the belt to get to surface quickly. I have different size wetties as well. 1.5mm for summer and 5mm for winter. It does get extreme sometimes so if you experience the same then my advice is to leave it be. It really is not that much of a hassle.

Reactions: Mr. X
I have a 2 belts a summer belt and a winter belt, 1 for 3mm wetsuit with weights the other for a 5mm with weights, my winter belt is a rob allen belt and it isn't that stretchy so I have a jockstrap to stop the 8.4kgs weight from sliding up when I dive deep, the other belt I use for 3mm summer suit is a Moray super stretch, its awesome dosent move with 4kgs of weights, i also have a beuchat weight vest but find it cumbersome and awkward so I don't use it, here in nz especially hanging upside down in the swell while getting crays or fighting a 20+kg kingfish I'd rather have nothing around my shoulders so I put all my weights on my belts with a Dring at either end, IMPORTANT POINT, uwhat ever makes u most comfortable and relaxed,, TIP!! take 2 knives incase u drop one, i have 1strapped to my leg and 1 strapped up side down on my arm, AFTER ONE DAY, I shot a kingfish and having it shake the knife out of my hand, it's not much fun trying to iki a kingfish with the end of ur spear hahahahha trust me,it's alot safer having 2 knives

I keep a spare Marseille belt, just in case I have to drop mine or it tears. Also handy if somebody else doesn't have one. I carry some of my lead on a vest and keep a few weights spare. So can usually cobble something suitable together.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT