• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Martin, Mandy, and Dr. George Lopez in the Caymans

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

donmoore

Aug 19, 2002
How about a thread to keep abreast of this?

In case you didn’t already know, the Performance Freediving Team is in the Cayman Islands preparing to go after some world records. Kirk Krack is writing a daily update as they prepare and sending it to the PFD group. I believe one of Martin’s goals is to be the first person to make the magical 100-meter constant ballast depth.

One interesting note is the question, is Martin going to use a mono or bi-fins? Incase you didn’t know Martin Stepanek is a former world record mono fin sprint swimmer, who became a freediver and set the world record constant balance last year using bi-fins at 93-meters. Hebert Nitsch later in the same year broke it at 95-meters.

Mono fins have pretty much ruled freediving the last few years, but Martin, who although has the ability to use a mono, has broken the norm by using bi-fins. We have talked about this here on db and some have speculated what he might be able to do if he switched to a mono, so I asked Kirk what it was going to be. Kirk wouldn’t tell me. :confused: He is building the suspense! :p

Sunday Martin did a targeted 83-meters practice dive. Kirk wrote, “with his fin(s) :>)” :D
don

Last edited:
Reactions: stevevidar and thud
Updates on Website

Hi Don,

I have just posted Kirk's daily updates on the Performance Freediving site. You can see it all at http://www.performancefreediving.com/news/news_2004.html

Kirk has also sent me several photos which I will put up on the site later today. Some of the photos may help to resolve some of the speculation. I won't say anything about the fin situation right now but let me say this: The new wetsuits are VERY shiny.

On another note, Tony Marcuccino is down there taking LOTS of video. We're hoping to be able to post some of that video in the next day or two so stay tuned!

Tom Lightfoot
Webmaster
www.performancefreediving.com
www.freedivecanada.com
www.aidaworlds2004.com
www.tomlightfoot.ca

Tom,
Thanks for the link to the daily updates. Its very exciting reading! Sounds like if Martin isn’t able to break the constant record this time, it will be because of his ears, which is an unusual problem for him. Maybe the extra speed of the mono-fin is adding to the ear equalization problem.
Jody

hi

Id guess a specialfins mono, but Ive still got my fingers crossed that he is sticking with bi fins :cool:

cheers

Reactions: bobbybuttr
My guess is a Specialfins mono too. Specialfins has been courting most of the top divers and Jyri and Mikko, I was told, know Martin from his mono sprint days and really want him using their product. The monos in the pictures of Kirk and Mandy definitely look like Specialfins with the logo clearly visible on Mandy’s.

Looks like the days of records with bi-fins are over. Maybe we will get a sense of how good Martin really is and how much of a disadvantage (if any) he had last year using bi-fins at the Cyprus.
don

Specialfins and PFD rock!

Reactions: stevevidar and thud
The fact that Specialfins is listed as a sponsor on the Performance Freediving, Cayman 2004, page that Tom has a link to above, is probably another good indication. Getting the World Record Constant balance title, especially if it’s the first over 100M, would have to be a pretty good feather in Specialfins’ credibility.
Bobby

Reactions: donmoore
Day 9 is on PDF site now. Martin Stepanek was going to do a 87 meter free immersion, but due to a miss measured rope line, did 93 meters! What is the current free immersion world record now?
Bobby

It's possible to download the video to see it off-line?. How?
Or it's copyright protected?.
TIA for the answer.
BTW I hope that Mandy and Martin, surprise us again, I love the daily updates. Very good work Kirk.

Frank,

I believe it is setup as a streaming file, which means it is unlikely to be in a format you can directly download.

Thanks Stephan, I wanted to keep in my HD. ;)

Ulf, Try to update your version. I view both with it.

I've just spoken to Paul Kotik and can confirm that DeeperBlue.net is going to be in attedance in Cayman to cover the Record Attempts! Stay tuned to DB for more info!

Reactions: thud
The fin/(s) suspense is building! The day ll news has a picture title "Martin descending to 92m" that clearly shows bi-fins. The day 12 news, wasn’t posted as of yet, says Martin did 96 meters (a new world record!) in 3’02”. Congratulation Martin and PDF team! :friday

Didn’t Herbert do his 95 meters much quicker than this? Does 3’02” sound like a time for bi-fins?

It looks like the world record constant is going down. Now that question is by how much and with bi or mono fins?
Don

96m for Martin -- congratulations. However, Herbert did 98m in practice and 100m with a samba, so Martin still hasn't surpassed his rival yet.

If I recall Cyprus, Herbert's 93m (b/o) was 3'02", and Martin's 93m (WR) was 3'24".

My guess is that Martin is going back and forth between the mono and bifins trying to find which he likes better.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi

Anyone know what bi fins he's using Im guessing C4s ?? :cool:

cheers

Reactions: thud
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT