• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mash, SpringOnions, Fish + Fry it!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
Got the idea from the Riverside Cottage Book.
Mash Spuds, chuck in fried spring onions and poached fish (I used a mullet and some dabs mixed).
Mix it all together and Fry until crisp!! (I love fried food).

Chuck a fried egg on top of it. :t
Quick, easy and tasty!

Damn, man, let there be breakfast! You just wait until I lose another 20 lbs. Then, there'll be cooking!

Hey Oldsarge...Now that you mention it...Is that a "skinnier" avatar? I seem to think your last one (if there was one) was "the same but different" meaning: same pose, same hat & gun - but a different and newer pic with a thinner face?

I could be wrong - but I am usually fairly observant of things...Am I right?

No, I just switched over to the full color one instead of the sepia. And the image's bigger. The only pict I have of my new weight is legs only. (don't ask!) I'm aiming to weigh no more than 180 and have another 20 to go. Then I may post a new avatar.

I like the sound of this - and as you say quite simple (important!). It sounds like a cross between seafood bubble & squeak & fish cakes. Although I rate mullet too highly for this, I reckon it would be a good recipe for pollock.

Sarge, how are you loosing all this weight?

Reactions: Pav
Ye OLDE SARGE'S SUFFER AND LOSE WEIGHT PROGRAME

1. Stay away from the school secretary's bowl of chocolate candy.
2. Breakfast is oatmeal with fruit.
3. Lunch is an apple and a carton of yogurt.
4. Dinner has neither second helpings nor dessert.
5. (Possibly most important) I purchased a Weight Vest (V-Max Weight Vests - Ultimate Strength Training Weighted Vest) that has 40 lbs. of iron in it. Also I have a pair of 6 lb. dumbells that for my hands. When the weather permits (it's been too cold and rainy for my weatherwimp self lately) I fasten the terrier's leash to the center of the vest and go for a walk . . . about 3 miles at speed. Do this about 3-4 times a week and I can lose about 10 lbs./month.

There, I told you it wasn't any fun. I'm slightly crabby with it but weighing 30 lbs. less has done wonders for my love life.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks Pav,

I'll have to try this recipe with some leftover Cod from today that we had for dinner! Sounds yummy for breakfast...:p

Oldsarge...I knew SOMETHIN' was different! Good job on the weight-loss! You're at where I wannna be! roflI still got almost 40 pounds to go! I lost 30- pounds over the spring & summer ...But with the holidays I gained most of it back...:hmm Also there's not been ALOT of outdoor activity goin' on around here for me lately. Just alot of hangin' out in PJ's because of my TWO new girls...It seems that pajamas or work clothes have been my usual attire for a few months now....That, and it's winter here. Still workin' on gettin' me a 5mm Elios to beat the winter blah's.

Please God...Turn up the heat, melt the snow, and make the sun come back! :(

Yup...Gotta love Wisconsin...We got two seasons here basically...Hot & humid & freezin' damn' cold!

I wonder how that recipe would taste with salmon...Love salmon patties....MMMmmmmmm:p

Ye OLDE SARGE'S SUFFER AND LOSE WEIGHT PROGRAME

1. Stay away from the school secretary's bowl of chocolate candy.
2. Breakfast is oatmeal with fruit.
3. Lunch is an apple and a carton of yogurt.
4. Dinner has neither second helpings nor dessert.
5. (Possibly most important) I purchased a Weight Vest (V-Max Weight Vests - Ultimate Strength Training Weighted Vest) that has 40 lbs. of iron in it. Also I have a pair of 6 lb. dumbells that for my hands. When the weather permits (it's been too cold and rainy for my weatherwimp self lately) I fasten the terrier's leash to the center of the vest and go for a walk . . . about 3 miles at speed. Do this about 3-4 times a week and I can lose about 10 lbs./month.

There, I told you it wasn't any fun. I'm slightly crabby with it but weighing 30 lbs. less has done wonders for my love life.
Don't think I'd feel too happy about such a meagre lunch ("what no claret!":D). Not worried about deserts - :hmm no seconds -- good one. Walking/running with weights - interesting, sounds military. Ironically, one of my family needs feeding up (obviously not me), which means there are usually more goodies and deserts around the house than there would otherwise be. My brother has lost loads of weight over the last year or so - he reckons he just cut out potatoes in the evening (oh, and had a child!).

You think I am? No claret for lunch, no beer until dinner . . . Like the title says, Suffer and lose weight! But the weather is warming so I can get back on track again this weekend.

(oh, and had a child!).

What he ate a whole one and still lost weight, what a guy!rofl
rofl
(They're ok as long as you don't deep fry them;)).

Find the idea of cutting food intake unappealling but have managed to ramp up the exercise side of things since Christmas - not having the Christmas food around any longer helps - & managed to loose about half a stone so far. Will probably start cutting back on the cake/biscuits/chocolate & second helpings soon...oh joy:(. [Could be worse, I could have just bought Northern Rock...oh, we did? Urh:(].

BTW planning to try this recipe with pollock soon.

Last edited:
Just made this recipe with some pollock. Made way too much (not my fault) and made it too hot:eek: & a few bones made it in (my fault:() but it was very tasty:p.

I added a carrot & sprouts (1 per person) to the potatoes (1 per person + 1...a little too much). To the fish (which I fried in olive oil, rather than poaching), I added a couple of mushrooms, a little red & green pepper & celery (supposed to be a taste enhancer, an alternative to salt).

The above was all great, what I messed up was the seasoning. Ground pepper corns, garlic, cayenne pepper, fresh basil, dried mixed herbs, just 4 corriander seeds, ginger powder, dash of tabasco, pinch of salt. Would have been fine, except for the extra dash of cayenne pepper (must have watched the Cajun chef too many times).

After cooking the first batch, I added some pre-cooked basmati rice to the mix. This added some additional texture & taste & thinned out the seasoning, making for a more pleasant warmness. I fried it in a mix of olive oil & canola.

If I did it again, I'd significantly reduce the amount of pepper in the seasoning (I love the taste though) & use less fish & potato (could easily have fed 2 more people).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT