• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mask best suited for small face/nose

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

iceselkie

where did the summer go?
Jun 27, 2003
OK, my husband just got a new Omer Alien mask today and I had to try it on. The first thing I noticed (besides the huge field of vision) was the small nosepocket..! I have a Cressi minima, and I'm thinking of getting a second mask with a bigger field of vision, but I still want low volume. The minima's small construction was, to me, a contradiction for all the space the HUGE shnozpocket was giving me. Alien's skirt was still too big for my face..any suggestions?

Brianna
i tried many mask and used .. last find out cressi ochio and focus suit my face very well and the silicon material is good, too..my idea is to try all models in shop..i am happy with my masks...for deep ochio for swallow i use focus ..

I'd love to be able to try before I buy too, unfortunately, I end up having to buy online and it's a bit of a guessing game! Is the skirt for all the cressi masks pretty much the same? if that's the case, i'm looking for something a little more snug fitting. What are people's opinions on the Oceanic Shadow Mini?? http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/OCNMBS.html

looks great! it is really really very cheap 31 $ ...
i bought mine Ochio 1 years ago 50 $ focus 45$ ..if it fits your husband ...my idea buy it! :D

Reactions: iceselkie
Hi Brianna. i had and loved the cressi superochio,(broke and couldnt buy a new one cos they dont stock anymore) i find the the cressi range have almost the same size nose pocket "big" (its an Italian thing) and skirt, i now have a Mares seta, cheap, and so far very good, also a large nose pocket but a small skirt, damn Italians, so my advice, buy a non Italian mask if you want a small nose pocket.

Reactions: iceselkie
Groupermadness said:
Hi Brianna. i had and loved the cressi superochio,(broke and couldnt buy a new one cos they dont stock anymore) i find the the cressi range have almost the same size nose pocket "big" (its an Italian thing) and skirt, i now have a Mares seta, cheap, and so far very good, also a large nose pocket but a small skirt, damn Italians, so my advice, buy a non Italian mask if you want a small nose pocket.
SuperOcchio is still available in the DeeperBLue store. Cressi Lince 2 is small, low volume although peripheral vision is a little impaired -- it fit me well enough but it would really be better suited to a smaller person/face. Both masks are available & reasonably priced (despite recent price rises) in the DeeperBlue store. Factor in shipping though --it can make a big difference.

Are you saying the Omer Alien has a small nose pocket - or did I misread that (it contradicts the Italian comments above)? I hope not, as that is the mask that I am currently interested in & I cannot try it out (the UK dealer is in the Channel Islands!).

BTW there are occasionally some interesting masks on ebay. A friend got a new mask (called an Atom I think) that seems a fantastic deal (he paid 99p I think in an auction -- they normally go for about 10x that, still not a bad price). Soft black silicone, "frameless", single glass although very low volume despite that & came with a proper mask box (the box alone would cost more than the mask, box & shipping in most shops) -- quite "high performance" in design & the quality seems good. Indistinguishable from any other modern spearo mask really. Fits both of us well too.

Last edited:
For Iceselkie: Omer Aries 45 has low volume, small skirt and medium/small nosepocket. It's good: lenses are not very wide, but the field is good because it's a frameless mask and lenses stay close to the eyes. Also available in clear silicone or with mirrored lenses.
For Mr.X: the Alien has a small nosepocket. Some think they took Michael Jackson as a model (I mean the recent post-surgery Michael Jackson)

I have a pretty big nose and the alien fits me really nicely. But I guess it's the bridge of my nose that is bigger, not neccessarily the length.

bigdiver said:
I have a pretty big nose and the alien fits me really nicely. But I guess it's the bridge of my nose that is bigger, not neccessarily the length.
Well the alien fits me too even if we've got it different: mine is long but slim, yours is short but big and...what are we talking about?rofl rofl :ban
sorry: i forgot this is a lady's thread...:head

spaghetti you italino you must know...
from now on.... focus and ochio mask of cressi' s will stop to produce?
you have info?

SEDATE said:
spaghetti you italino you must know...
from now on.... focus and ochio mask of cressi' s will stop to produce?
you have info?
I dont' know for sure, sorry: I should ask my friend who owns a gear shop. All I know is that focus and Superocchio are still in the catalogue. I'll make a whistle to you if I get some news.

Thnx...
other masks making me unhappy..i ll get 2 for stock before the escape the train...

iceselkie said:
I'd love to be able to try before I buy too, unfortunately, I end up having to buy online and it's a bit of a guessing game! Is the skirt for all the cressi masks pretty much the same? if that's the case, i'm looking for something a little more snug fitting. What are people's opinions on the Oceanic Shadow Mini?? http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/OCNMBS.html

I have a Superocchio and a Mini Shadow. I don't consider the Mini Shadow a freediving mask but is my favorite for scuba. I don't think the field of vision you get can be beat. Great for use with a camera.

I only have a handful of dives with the Superocchio. This is my first freediving mask so don't have a lot to compare it to. Vs. the Mini Shadow it only takes a 1/4 of the spit to defog.:) Both of these fit me fine but find the Mini Shadow more comfortable. Sometimes I just about forget that I'm wearing a mask. If one fits the other should too.

The Alien works for me - though it does scrunch my nose upward a little. Cressi lince is too small for my face - I think the silicone on the cressi's I've tried - big-eyes, matrix and lince is stiffer than the alien's. I have a matrix also - which I like very much.

Well, I just ordered the Alien the night before I saw this thread, so I will get to try it out myself soon enough. I hear Michael Jackson is in the UK currently looking for a mansion -- so maybe he'd buy it off me if it doesn't fit?:)

Mr. X said:
I hear Michael Jackson is in the UK currently looking for a mansion -- so maybe he'd buy it off me if it doesn't fit?:)

Well Just what England needs another famous Pedi. Garry Glitter away locked up in Vietnam and Michael Jackson to take his place.:rcard :rcard :rcard.

Oh back on thread, a Large whale shouted in my ear that Superochio 's are still available!! , if anyone knows where i can mail order one i would be very very happy.(and i may give some rep).

Peter.

Groupermadness said:
Well Just what England needs another famous Pedi. Garry Glitter away locked up in Vietnam and Michael Jackson to take his place.:rcard :rcard :rcard.

Oh back on thread, a Large whale shouted in my ear that Superochio 's are still available!! , if anyone knows where i can mail order one i would be very very happy.(and i may give some rep).

Peter.
Hi Grouper Madness,
I already embedded a link for the Superocchio above, from this website's own store -- that wasn't shouting, it was an embedded link:duh.(THIS IS SHOUTING). Here is a more specific link: http://www.scubastore.com/producte.asp?id=32&id_modelo=3192&desde=1&fromhbx=frame.

They also have this similar mask (mirror version popular in Hawaii I believe): http://www.scubastore.com/producte.asp?id=32&id_modelo=3272&desde=0&fromhbx=frame (cool matching snorkel).

The Gary ("do you want to be in my gang?", oh no!:rcard) Glitter exchange angle occured to me too (perhaps we have to take so many as part of our asylum quota?) -- but then it occured to me the Michael was found not guilty...and I might want him to buy my mask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Groupermadness
OK Mr X, i heard it this time, didnt read back as usual,i really should make it a habit of doing so, anyway thanks for the tip but i had looked and the postage is more than the mask so i left it at that, my parents still live in the UK so if you know of a decent priced one there i can buy on credit card and deliver there.they come out or someone does(one of the things you have living in Cyprus is lots of Visitors) in the year.
Thanks again

Peter.

Fondueset said:
The Alien works for me - though it does scrunch my nose upward a little. Cressi lince is too small for my face - I think the silicone on the cressi's I've tried - big-eyes, matrix and lince is stiffer than the alien's. I have a matrix also - which I like very much.
I completely agree with you Fondueset. My Alien arrived today (my first piece of Omer gear) & fits well, despite my fine but not insubstantial conk. I can't believe how small the mask is, nor how good the vision is (much better than the Cressi Superocchio, for example), comparable to the Cressi Matrix -- very good. Very soft silicone too. [Sorry M.J., this one is a keeper!]. No mask box though :hmm.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT