• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mask for UK spearo

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I tend to collect gear, and I have about 12 different masks. I wore and swore by the Superoccio for many years and I also have an old Mares Solana that was a personal favorite as well.

My Omer Alien is the finest mask I have ever owned. My Omer Abyss, although very similar looking to my Superoccio, is far more comfortable than my Superoccio.

I have tried the Cressi masks and they are nice, but the Omers were clear winners in my opinion.

........Oh, there is an honorable mention, I use the Sphera 90% of the time for freediving. It is by far the best for freediving, but I use the Omers for spearfishing because they are available in mirrored lenses (which I have).

P.S. I have a Cressi Minima that should arrive in the next day or two, so make that 13 masks. rofl

Jim

The Alien's field of view is comparable to the lince - I own both - got the lince as a spare for my daughter. The Alien's field does improve with compression - as the lenses move closer to the eyes.

The only thing that compromises the comfort on the alien is the upturned nose - not a big issue for me - but definitely noticeable. The matrix, on the other hand - is a little more inclined to leak with changes in facial expression - having slightly thicker and less flexible silicone.

jimdoe2you said:
P.S. I have a Cressi Minima that should arrive in the next day or two, so make that 13 masks. rofl
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that I also tried on the Minima in the store. I didn't like it compared to the Matrix. It was much like wearing a pair of swim goggles -- there is peripheral vision but it is through the side wall... which just is not as good IMHO. I wear swim goggles 3 or 4 times a week -- so I am used to that view...just prefer the view through a mask with good peripheral vision. Might be good for deep divers I suppose.

We usually don't have enough sun light for mirror lens in the UK -- at least they are not readily available. I would like to try yellow lens though -- again, not readily available here.

Last edited:
Re: Mask for UK spearo - there's a new mask on the block: Seasub Combat

As you may know, I ended up getting an Omer Alien and I love it:inlove - although I paid too much for it (grizzle, grump:D - the downside of this sceptred Isle). It is much smaller & lighter than my old Typhoon "Visulator"-style mask (which has fantastic viz & may still be best bet for surface work). The Alien's lower volume makes diving significantly more comfortable, as you don't need to blow lots of air into it to counteract compression and the viz is excellent but not full.

The Alien's soft silicone is very comfortable. The first time I used it, after 2 hours of problem-free use, it suddenly started leaking a lot of water. I have speared longer with it since w/o problem -- I think the problem was that my face got particulalry cold that day. Last time out (3+ hours & no problems), I was left with a mask imprint on my face for more than an hour after leaving the beach -- apparently my face is forming to the mask as much as vice versa!:D

Anyway, a friend recently became a Seacsub dealer. I wanted to help out with his first order. As I am the only spearo he knows, so he gave me his apnea catalogue & they have a new "combat" range (mask & snorkel) especially for spearos. I was going to order the regular Seatil snorkel but the camo one is the same reasonable price, so I ordered that (always liked the look of the original black & clear one, nice clip & flexible too) & the combat mask too (as the price was half what I paid for the Alien, I like to have a spare & I figured you'd all want to know about this new product).

The Seasub "X-Low Combat mask" (Item code: 906C), to me, looks fussier than the Alien (I think they got the design pretty close to spot on there -- Italian design:inlove is another plane), however, it is similar. Perhaps a little closer to the Omer Bandit / Supernocchio. It has strap wings coming off the frame -- this is the fussy bit, however, the wings (as well as the frame) are all green camo'd (the camo on the Bandit & esp. the Alien seems rather minimal & token). The mask's skirt is however black (rather than green or blue) - & the top of the skirt appears to be matt black. I can't wait to try them out.

Other products:

Stangely no camo or clear fins - yet - though (although the black Genesis & X-Pro fins look good).

The Extreme mask might interest freedivers(?).

3 nice, reasonably priced wetsuits designs too. The new Race/Flex400 looks particularly cool:cool:, the Seamate too (as I'm not a big fan of beaver tails); again no camo. Some inexpensive spearguns, Asso:D pneumatics and the fancy X-Fire -- one of the more interesting designs out there. No buying plans there though -- still happy with RA & Eliossub].

Last edited:
AFter diving with my alien all winter I've been likin' my Cressi Matrix again. The peripheral vision is awesome.

Fondueset said:
AFter diving with my alien all winter I've been likin' my Cressi Matrix again. The peripheral vision is awesome.

IMHO, the new Cressi Lince is an excellent compromise between wide peripheral vision and low volume. But apparently some people have problems fitting it on the face. The Lince is basically a reduced-size Matrix (or Big-Eyes for that matter). I loved it and it's first mask I really liked since my prehistorical Mares Viso (sold in the US under Swimmaster Balboa) fell apart many years ago.

BTW, some of you out there may think "new Lince? It has been around at least for a year." There was another Cressi Lince, a classic in its own time, the mid-60s. The Lince was the first extreme low volume ever devised. BTW-2, it's amazing how many classic trend-setter masks Cressi have been designing for almost 50 years.

Last edited:
Mares Solana

Ooohhh, I used to have, and loved, one of those- until the frame cracked and I couldn't find a replacement. :head

I use my sphera most of the time, but always keep my Alien as a back up- and for spearing. I have an Abysss, but thought that my buddy's Superocchio fit my face better. I had a chance to try on a Bandit in a store a while ago, but would love to try one in the water. It seemed to fit my face a bit better than the Abyss- although a very similar style.

I used to own a Minima and hated it- too claustraphobic.

BTW: Lake Michigan is an awesome place to freedive these days. the vis is way up, over 50' in the summer time and well over a 100' in the winter. Lots of wrecks to dive- just pick a depth and an age. Here's one I was diving on just last week.

jon

Last edited:
Reactions: jimdoe2you
I'll second that - Lake Michigan is AWESOME!!
Hey Jon - have you heard of Blue Pike? It's a supposedly exinct Walleye varient. I was reading online about a hybrid walleye/blue that was caught I think over in your neck of the woods. This HUGE Walleye was on it's way out - but had a definite bluish tinge - and no distinct patterning - unlike another very large, also sick, one I saw a few minutes later on the same dive.

PS - check my site for Lake Mich pics

Last edited:
Ted Budion said:
IMHO, the new Cressi Lince is an excellent compromise between wide peripheral vision and low volume. But apparently some people have problems fitting it on the face. The Lince is basically a reduced-size Matrix (or Big-Eyes for that matter).

... it's amazing how many classic trend-setter masks Cressi have been designing for almost 50 years.
Hi Ted! The Lince did fit me with a good seal and I would be able use it but it just seemed physically too small for me. I tried the Matrix the same day & found it to be a very good (although I tried a clear one in a different store which would not seal -- perhaps the silicone was old or different?). Surprisingly to me, the slightly higher volume Matrix had a noticebly larger field of view than the Lince. I would be happy to use a Matrix. (I agree with John about the Minima).

Cressi masks are probably the most expensive brand in the UK, making them poor value IMO. You can get some great branded & unbranded masks off ebay these days; there is little difference perhaps because they all seem to be made in Taiwan, no matter what the brand is. For spearfishing though, Omer seems to be the current market leader to me - in general & esp. for masks; they seem to be innovative (even if several of their masks look like the Cressi Superocchio!). However, that doesn't mean you can't get great products & value else where. I am glad to see other companies, like Seacsub, stepping up & providing choice & competition. Hopefully it will encourage innovation & reasonable prices.

Seacsub X-Low combat mask:
xlowcombatg.gif

ref. http://www.subprof.com/tienda/product_info.php?products_id=4786

Last edited:
I just got my X-low combat mask. It is very nice...very low profile, very much like the Alien. Haven't had time to compare them next to each other yet. They are very similar in concept & execution though. I suspect the Alien might have a smidge more viz but I could be wrong.

The X-low has a soft, all gloss black skirt (not obvious from the picture), which should merge well with a black wetsuit. There is more camo on this mask than the Alien mimetec, although it is still fairly token. The Mask frame is camo & has hinged side extensions that are also camo -- seems like unnecessary complexity (2 extra moving parts) but it appears to work well.

It comes with a good plastic "tupperware"-like mask box (unlike the Alien with comes in a cardboard box) and both the mask & strap are marked "made in Italy" (the Alien strap is marked "made in Taiwan").

Seac Sub Combat Mask

Finally got to try out the Combat mask yesterday.

Result: v. similar in size, softness, weight to the Omer Alien. I could be wrong but I think the Alien has a tad more viz. The Combat looks more like an Omer Bandit/Cressi Superocchio/Samurai.

I was very impressed, the plastic hinged side section makes putting the mask on & adjusting it extremely quick & easy. They also kept the head band in place well -- even with a mask torch fitted. The mask worked faultlessly - a genuine pleasure to use.

Possible improvements: I wonder if making the mask skirt clear, while retaining the camo frame & side plates might offer a beneficial degree of peripheral vision (the hinged parts would obviously get in the way to some degree) while still obscuring the eyes & providing some shade.

I found looking forward (i.e. up on the mask) while swimming required the head to be raised uncomfortably high...I have not noticed this being an issue with the Alien - but will look out for it next time out.

I think the camo works, at one point I had around 10 wrasse swimming around my head within a foot or two. Weird!:)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT