• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mask Questions/Help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rock Shooter

Sep 1, 2016
Hello all!

I am thinking of buying a new mask for my younger brother as my old one (the one he is using) is starting to show signs of wear and tear.

If a mask produces a perfect seal now, what will happen in, say; 5 years time? Will the seal fail because his face grows/changes? To what extent would the change be?
I don't want to buy him some $75 mask and find out in a year (or less :( ) that his mask doesn't fit him.

What would you suggest I do?

Any insight would be greatly (y) appreciated,

Thanks,
Rock Shooter
:D

Technisub MicroMask - fits my quite large face well but would probably fit a smaller face better. Best mask I have tried so far. Seems ideal, although most spearo masks are similarly small but fit bigger faces too.

Reactions: Rock Shooter
That mask looks pretty sweet Dano. And at that price :greedy: hahah. Only problem is that I live in Australia, so shipping and returns may be a hassle.

Please take a look at the MAKO Minimus mask. We guarantee that it will fit you perfectly - or we accept returns. Don't be put off by the low price, this is a quality mask. ( we sell guns too, if that muzzle gives you too much trouble).

http://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm
Already had a look at your guns :D, was sold on one of the 'predator' ones (if that's the name) then discovered that you don't ship guns to Aus, so was a little bummed!

Thanks all for the reply,
My local dive stor had a mask for about 70 aud, the Apollo black demon or something like that.
Any thoughts?

Thanks to all who have replied on this thread so far, your input has been very helpful
Cheers,
Rock Shooter

... then discovered that you don't ship guns to Aus, so was a little bummed!
Really, perhaps there is a local "franchise"? Dano mentioned in a recent post that the manufacturer is Taiwanese but lives/lived in Australia - or something like that. Also Rabitech sell similar (but not identical) products from South Africa, which may be closer/more convenient - but if there is an Australian supplier, that may not be permitted either. The local supplier - if one exists - would likely be cheapest, quickest & simplest for you under the circumstances. BTW We have seen on the forum on numerous occasions that good service counts for lot, especially when things don't go as planned/expected.

Hello all!

I am thinking of buying a new mask for my younger brother as my old one (the one he is using) is starting to show signs of wear and tear.

If a mask produces a perfect seal now, what will happen in, say; 5 years time? Will the seal fail because his face grows/changes? To what extent would the change be?
I don't want to buy him some $75 mask and find out in a year (or less :( ) that his mask doesn't fit him.

What would you suggest I do?

Any insight would be greatly (y) appreciated,

Thanks,
Rock Shooter
:D

If I were you I'd wouldn't buy a mask online. Masks are one of those things where I wouldn't chance it. Take him to a shop and see what mask fits his face correctly. I've used mask that don't fit me correctly and it's the most annoying thing especially when your all geared up and out in the water already. I try letting my brothers use my mask and they end up dumping water from them every 5 minutes. I went to a shop and tried a bunch of mask and a $30 dollar sea sport mask fits me perfect. I dove for 5 hours once and it didn't bother me at all. Spend around $30 for a mask and in a few years when his facial structure changes, just buy another one for around the same price.

Yes, trying a mask is a store is a really good idea - it can completely change your mind. A trip to Portland Oceaneering put me off the Cressi Lince 2 (too small) & made me consider the Cressi Matrix - and even the CressiBig Eyes - instead. That said, I bought my last 4 masks on-line and all worked well enough. If I had a well equipped spearo-oriented dive store nearby though, I might well have chosen differently and ended up with better choices - it is worth paying a few quid more for that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT