• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mask reforming

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sebastian

Oct 9, 2001
Hi guys,

I just bought a cressi big eyes mask, and tried it in about 4 dives.
Field of view is wonderfull, but the nose pocket is too short downwards, so my nostrils are shuted off by the bottom of the nose pocket.
That bring 2 problems:
I cant reinhale the air from the mask when I go up.
It gets painfull after a while.

Before giving it as a gift to my wife (in the process of learning to dive), I would like to know if silicone is reshapeable through heat, diluents or anything.

Any experience?

Many thanks in advance,

Sebastian

ditch it

Hi Sebastian,

The problems you mention are important, besides that, a bad fitting mask makes a bad first impression. I suggest getting a mask that fits better to start with. My scuba mask does both of those problems, and it is hard to equilize.

Best wishes,

FD48

Lose the mask amigo.

I liked the view from that mask also but the nose and the mask seemed better suited to a rounder face. Seeing as how us Swedes are square-headed, I've had better luck with early Dacor and Scubapro masks and like my new OMER.

sven

Thanks for the replies, even though I hoped that somebody would know a technique to fix it. Now I´ll have to move back to my old black rubber cressi again, and let my wife enjoy the big eyes.:(

best regards,
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Does the big eyes collect bubbles on the face plate? A friend of mine loves his except for that problem. If you are shopping around there is a new mask that Mares makes called an o9, or 07 that is getting rave reviews locally, you might want to give it a try.

Best wishes,

FD48

Hi Doug,

No, I havent had bubble problems with the mask. Besides the nose problem, I noticed that it fogged much more often that my other mask. Dont ask me why, maybe it was the lower volume or that the glasses are closer to the eyes?
I´ll be looking for that mares mask, the thing is that there is not a good supply of diving equipment in Argentina, so I have to buy things on the internet (what I did with the big eyes), and after this experience I think that some items (ie: masks) you have to try them before buying.

Best regards,
Sebastian

fogging

Hi Sebastian,

The fogging may be because of silicon grease on the mask,s glass, some masks come with a lot more than others, my Beauchat was super greasy when it was new, and still needs cleaning after a year of intermittent cleaning, my Mares Target cleaned up real fast. The standard method that I use is lots of tooth paste rubbed onto the glass surfaces, then flooded with hot water, then coke. I'll treat a new mask to a minimum of 3-5 cleanings before they ever see the salt water. The 09 seems to fit darn near everyone and has a real big nose pocket, it is not a super low volume mask though.

Good luck,

Doug

silicone mold release removal

Hi guys,

Here's the hot ticket with removing the various mold releases from rubber and glass. Take a rag wet with white gas, like that used in camp stoves and lanterns, and wipe the areas real vigorously. Wash really well with regular soap and water and you're done. This also is the only way to remove that crap from fin straps, so they don't pull through the buckles, leaving you fin-less at the worst moments.

sven

Another problem that causes fogging is that after a bit of use, natural body oils from your face will adhere to the lenses, causing the same problem as the silicon grease when your mask is new. Use any of the above-mentioned methods for cleaning, but don't bother getting ripped off with "Sea Drops" or some other over-priced junk from a dive shop.
Too bad about your Big Eyes mask; my wife loves hers!
Good luck shopping,
Erik Y.

silicone moulding

has anyone filled their voids w/ xtra silicone? :D

seriously, you know how people put in the two dowels where their eyes would be and then fill the rest up w/ silicone? well, i've just acquired the 'big eyes' and see that it has alot of dead space above my eyes/around my forehead.

what types of silicone do they use? just the silicone caulking? can i just start gooping this stuff in the dead spots? or would it be better to put some in first, put wax paper over it, and let your forehead/whatever mold it?

thanks,
anderson

use your rubber

Head to the yellow pages and look up places that sell sculptor's supplies. They'll have many different types of silicone rubber and will or should have a fast set gel-rubber for macking molds off body parts, like the face, and uh, well... The release agaent is usually vaseline or something similar.

Better yet, get a mask with lower volume that fits. CJB and I are happy with our OMER Abyss's. I was yakking with Bill here about molding some nose plugs in the nose pocket and am just going to glue some neoprene mounds in there and see what happens. The idea of having a couple of hard "posts" in there doesn't sound real appealing as I tend to take my mask back every few dives and relax a bit, kick back to my matt or board, get my bearings...

sven

abyss's

i have the abyss as well. when i put on the big eyes, i'm so much more relaxed for some reason. i'll be using the big eyes for most of my uw photography. so it's only to about 40'. if i like it, then i think spearfishing with it would be pretty interesting since there's always those fish that like to hide in your blind spot. also seems it would be easier at dodging the toothy critters. :cool:

i'll see what art stores are around here. thanks.

anderson
..._[:]p

which model?

Hi,

I just had a look at the Abyss, and it looks like they have quite a few models, which one(s) do you like? I mostly use a Mares Target, which is very low volume, and I like it a lot.

FD48

same 'ol, same 'ol

mares target, omer abyss, sporasub samauri, cressi superocchio are all off the same frame. same volume for all.

i have the yellow coated lens 'abyss' for spearfishing. it actually does a good job of outlining things better.

anderson

Yep, and the coated lenses make the visual adjustment of sunlight to below the surface much easier, as your eyes are already used to the just slightly dimmer amount of light they allow.

I had tried the Big Eyes as I liked the design and figured that it's visibility would just be nuts, but the thing just won't fit my mug.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT