• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Masks for narrow female face??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tamsin

Jul 23, 2016
hello everyone
Aqualung sphera? Tusa Panthes or even mako minimus?
I am so new to this I have not even done it before but I'm planning my ssi 1 in Indonesia in a couple of months. My problem is that I have a narrow face and I'm not sure which mask. my first choice would be the sphera but I'm worried it will be too big. Does anyone have any idea of the fit if these as some say it's good for small and some large Contradiction info on a lot of masks.
Please help
Tamsin

I guess fitting a mask is the only way to know. I've got a sprorasub mystic mask, for not any particular reason, but i noticed that it's a good fit for my kids. Could give it a try.

I guess fitting a mask is the only way to know. I've got a sprorasub mystic mask, for not any particular reason, but i noticed that it's a good fit for my kids. Could give it a try.
Thanks
This is one I read a review on actually. I will check it out again. So many to choose from

I'd also recommend the mystic, my sister fits it too but not the wider sphera.

The Scubapro (formerly) Subgear "Steel Comp" (aka the Foldie) fits the narrow faces of our customers relatively well, as does the Aqualung Micromask.

hello everyone
Aqualung sphera? Tusa Panthes or even mako minimus?
I am so new to this I have not even done it before but I'm planning my ssi 1 in Indonesia in a couple of months. My problem is that I have a narrow face and I'm not sure which mask. my first choice would be the sphera but I'm worried it will be too big. Does anyone have any idea of the fit if these as some say it's good for small and some large Contradiction info on a lot of masks.
Please help
Tamsin

Since you specifically asked about the MAKO Mini mask, I hope it is OK to respond here. The MAKO minimus mask fits a huge range of people and it is great for scuba diving (due to fit and unrestiricted visibility) and even better for freediving because it has a very low volume with the mask plate very close to your eyes.

It WILL fit, you will LOVE it.. or I will accept a return.

thanks!

dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm

MMM-2T.jpg

I got a really narrow face and i got the Mares Elite mask and it fits like a glove for my narrow face.

500.jpg

Online retailers in Japan routinely provide measurements to inform selection of diving masks, e.g.:
gull-gm-1002-info01.jpg

The image above provides no less than eight pieces of information about the Gull Mantis 5:

Frame height:
85 mm
Mask width: 178 mm
Mask height: 110 mm
Skirt width: 132 mm
Volume: 177 cc
Weight: 225 g
Vertical vision: 99 °
Horizontal vision: 117 °

Retailers and manufacturers might consider following suit when showcasing their own diving masks. The width of a mask skirt in millimetres (132 mm in the example above) seems to be a particularly helpful dimension to know when sizing masks to accommodate narrow, medium or broad faces. Of course, buyers would still have to try masks on for size to establish that they offer a leakproof fit, but knowledge of the skirt width would assist in eliminating many over-narrow or over-wide models.

The current state of play is reminiscent of a high-street shoe store where none of the footwear on sale has any size identification and the only way to find a pair that fits is to try on everything in the shop or to narrow the choice by asking the sales staff which footwear manufacturers tend to focus on making smaller or larger sizes.

Last edited:
Excellent idea, I have found that some of the low volume masks are a really small fit, so if your moving from a standard scuba mask, its easy to underestimate the size difference, the more information manufacturers can provide the better, fin stiffness is another area were more information would be more than welcome :)

Reactions: DRW
Excellent idea, I have found that some of the low volume masks are a really small fit, so if your moving from a standard scuba mask, its easy to underestimate the size difference, the more information manufacturers can provide the better, fin stiffness is another area were more information would be more than welcome :)

Glad you think so too. I've been pondering what forces are likely to lead to greater transparency in the release of basic technical data about underwater swimming products. One pressure will be a culture where purchasers are not only more discerning but also reluctant to part with their hard-earned money without full disclosure of the product's characteristics. Another is a military interest, where compliance with precise specifications is the rule.

Over the winter months I've been studying a Soviet diving book I bought on eBay:
Diving_Equipment_Serebrenitsky.png

The title translates to something along the lines of "Underwater sport technology" and the pages dedicated to diving masks contain the following information about ten models available in 1969 when the book was published:
Mask_Measurements_Serebrenitsky.png
Mask_Table_Serebrenitsky.png

I've roughly translated the headings from the original Russian. I find it amazing that a book about diving gear appearing in the late 1960s contains such detailed specifications about diving masks and the only reference point I can think of is the equally detailed specifications about swimming fins in W. G. Fischer's 1956 US Naval Experimental Diving Unit report Comparative Evaluation of Swim Fins, which can be downloaded from http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/780665.pdf.

Both Serebrenitsky and Fischer are addressing military audiences, which is the likeliest explanation why they consider precise specifications such as these to be indispensable. It is up to civilian practitioners of underwater sports to assert their right to be as fully informed by manufacturers about marketed products as our armed services are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinniped72
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT