• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

max breath holding

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
From the article:

"Hyperventilation before a prolonged breath-hold is also vital. This is because the brain monitors the amount of carbon dioxide in the blood to decide when to trigger the gasp reflex. Purging this CO2 with rapid deep breathing increases how long you can go before the urge to gasp becomes irresistible. Having large lungs is a natural advantage."

I disagree.

The more CO2 you have, and are able to endure, the more the body will conserve O2 extending the dive time.

Top athletes try to retain their CO2 levels during preparation and "breath-up"!

SAFETY

Also, by purging your CO2 from the lungs and bloodstream you'll postpone your warning signals. So much so that it will become surprisingly easy to land in a Black out. In fact it can strike you without warning out of the blue.

Never conduct long breath holds in water without a capable buddy dedicated to your personal well-being. Where long is relative to your level, I define it here as anything over half of what your Personal Best currently IS.

If you're interested, you can get in touch with us freedivers through the various ways of communication to learn and see if this wonderful deep helix sport suits you!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Kars when i prepare for a long breath hold may it be static or other... im trying to clear my lungs of CO2. but what your saying means i shouldnt do this and let CO2 build up? am i understanding correctly?

When I pre pair for static, I breath slow and shallow, finding the meditative mental state of "flow".

The last 2 breaths I exhale deep, indeed purging my lungs of CO2 and making sure I got fresh O2-rich air in my lungs. But these two last breaths do not wash much CO2 from my blood, and consequently I'll have some mild contractions early on, say from 2' in my 6' static.

The amount the CO2 is pretty personal, so I suggest you try different levels, and take note of the differences.

Also, by purging your CO2 from the lungs and bloodstream you'll postpone your warning signals. So much so that it will become surprisingly easy to land in a Black out. In fact it can strike you without warning out of the blue.
Postponing the signals is not the only problem of hyperventilation or low CO2. Much worse is the shift of Bohr saturation curve, which means the oxygen affinity to hermoglobin will be higher, hence it won't be released where it is needed as easily as normally. In other words, your hypoxic tolerance will be lower. Or if you want it even simpler, then you'll black out earlier. But there are are many other disatvantages. We were discussing them often in diverse threads about hyperventilation in the Science section.

Kars your breath up sounds pretty similar to mine. now what is interesting to me is that your contractions start before mine but you are almost twice the length of total time. i get contractions at maybe 2.15 and my max is 3.14 in static.

the more i read the more i think my static should be around mid 4's

I see you already looked into the http://forums.deeperblue.com/freediving-science/86127-how-flow-freediving.html tread, and you may have seen the Frog Flow video I posted there, I suggest you try that for your self.
The movements you do after the first contraction will help to relax and focus you on other pleasant feelings, such as the water gracing your skin.
It will help to teach you mind and body that high CO2 is ok.
Try not to push it in these frog flow dives; easy does it best. The goal is to find more relaxation, loose the sense of time, and than you'll surface with the feelings and idea you did say, 2'10, where the dive was in fact 3' . Don't wear a watch, and not even your buddy, first focus on getting a hang of it. Limit yourself to the enjoyable parts.

I find this method makes the 'struggle-phase' much smoother and easier, allowing you to avoid the sense of approaching doom and panic, and glide past that steep CO2-contraction 'barrier'.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
ok kars thanks for the tips ill have to try out the frog thing. although ill have to wear a weight belt because im quite boyant.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT