• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

max DYN after max STA in competition: is DYN negatively affected?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Scorp

Dec 15, 2006
Hi guys!

I wonder how much a maximum Dynamic attempt in a 1-day competition might be negatively affected by a max Static hold shortly (1-3 hours) before the DYN performance. From your experience, how long at least should the interval between the two disciplines be if one wants a 100% performance in DYN?
I consider skipping the STA since I don't care too much for this discipline ...

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,
Ivo

Hi guys!

I wonder how much a maximum Dynamic attempt in a 1-day competition might be negatively affected by a max Static hold shortly (1-3 hours) before the DYN performance. From your experience, how long at least should the interval between the two disciplines be if one wants a 100% performance in DYN?
I consider skipping the STA since I don't care too much for this discipline ...

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,
Ivo

For many top athletes, they would consider even one full day insufficient. It depends on how far into oxygen debt you're getting.

Just subscribing to the thread really but even for me as a beginner at my first competition I remember vividly that I was quite tired by the time I got to my DYN. I am sure I didn't go into any significant oxygen debt as my STA was quite short but even the process of warmup holds, getting ready, some stress before STA, lack of food for many hours etc etc was fairly tiring (especially since I also had to coach another person in static and dynamic)

If I only had to worry about DYN I am sure I would have been a lot fresher so if you are really serious about a max DYN I would skip STA. But if a non-serious competition why not experience both?

I'd go for it if your main focus is having fun and experiencing as much as possible. If you do a 80% of max static, you shouldn't be too impacted for your dynamic.

For a serious max, a breath hold to samba say, you'd want 24 hours plus like Chris mentioned. Doing a dynamic or depth dive before a static will have a lot more of an impact, because you're using similar muscle groups obviously.

Good luck!
Guy

Do you guys know the exact physiological reason it takes so long to recover if you push static to max?

Also, it seems that some people at comps have a nap between STA and DYN, do you know if it helps the recovery significantly? (if yes, why?)

Hi!

Thanks for your posts! Eventually I decided to skip the STA and did only DYN today. I did well, and I would have won the DYN discipline if my girl friend had not enthusiastically grabbed my arm before the judge had grabbed the white card - so I got a red one :blackeye :blackeye roflrofl

Still I am not shure about how to handle this thing with static and dynamic on the same day. A friend of mine had two strong performances today and said that the good static which he quite pushed gave him lot motivation and even kind of preparation for the dynamic. Don't know, will try as Guy says next time: 80% static and then max dynamic.

Hi Ivo, I had the same dilema before our pool nationals in April. I decided to do all three disciplines to have the full experience and i am glad i did.

My DYN was not affected much from my STA which was 1.5hrs earlier; truth is i did not push the STA much-about 80-85% as Guy said. But my DNF was certainly affected: it was 1.5hrs after my DYN and i did about 80-85% of what i was capable off.

I think the effect is larger the more experienced the diver is b/c, as Chris said, u go into oxygen debt in a bigger way. If you are not very experienced, a positive first dive may affect your confidence in a big way and u may even end up with PBs in all disciplines.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT