• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

MAy in Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
Woke up yesterday with a haed cold and snow! THings didn't look to great to start with, buthte lakes are going clear and it's time to get some diving in.

Jon

Last edited:
By time noon rolled aorund things warmed up bit, which melted the snow, and Ted and I got to jump in for a few hours- like 4.:D

Last edited:
We ended up diving some new spots that had lots of structure, where the little guys kept hiding from us.

Last edited:
Eventually we moved off into a little deeper water where the weeds are down for the winter, but still high enough to provide some habitat. This is where Ted had the shot of the day- two fish at once! Yeah, I didn't believe it either, but here's the picture.

Jon

Last edited:
THis is whne my ADHD kicked in and I started taking more photos than shooting fish. I also found two nice anchors, which just about sunk my float and made for quite workout on the swim back to the lab. Here's a shot of one of the nice Walleye which where swimming around.

Jon

Last edited:
Here's a white bass that I was photographing, instead of shooting. I guess that by time I figured out he was leagal to shoot, he was long gone.

Last edited:
By the end of the day we had a collection of anchors, a stringer of fish, of which a few were acutally mine;), and a card full of images.

Last edited:
Great Fotos Jon. Unlucky that you guys still get snow in May but apparently you guys make the best of it anyway. Were those fish holed up?

Here's a better shot of the fish.

After four hours my ears were done and we both had a bad case of the munchies. The water was high 40's to low 50's and I never got cold in my 6mm Elios. We even switched over to 3mm 5-finger gloves for the season- which are a lot easier to use than our 3-finger winter mitts.:)

Jon

Last edited:
Here's on last shot of Ted, on one of his best spearing days ever.;)

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: Murat
Hey Jon, once i get good (and a car, and when im 16) Im going to go with!!!!! Ahhh! That looks like an awesome time. Up in these parts of wisconsin it was 22' degrees last night, it's about 50 some now, i think. I have no wetsuit YET, so i'm out of the water for about another month..... keep posting more pics, makes me feel like im there :)! Oh yea, my internet is VERY messed up, we're taking our computer into get checked out. Could you post the Deeper Blue phone # and website maybe? I can't find it here at school..... stupid access denied. I want to call your friend Gert and figure out what the cost is on the OMER 5mm mimetic. I made $50 yesterday cutting and hauling trees, im applying for a job soon too. Do you remember what weekend the freedive clinic was again, i spaced. And im not sure if its possible. but if i did like a down payment to Gert or something, do you think i could pay it off over like a 2 month time? I know for a fact i wont have enough for a wetsuit AND the clinic, and i need the wetsuit FOR the clinic, so yea. I know i could work it off and send you or him checks and stuff along the way.

I know it's a long shot, but i really want to get good at this! I love water!

Respect for your dedication to spearfishing! that gun looks thermo-nuclear for shooting fish that size.... lots of rubber.

Keep up the good work, great pictures

David

Originally posted by tamoshee
Respect for your dedication to spearfishing! that gun looks thermo-nuclear for shooting fish that size.... lots of rubber.

Keep up the good work, great pictures

David

hehe. I use three rubbers because I need the speed. Those fish are pretty spooky and require a fast, long shot. One band is enough to go through the fish, of course, but only if you are lucky enough to get close range. Also, more bands makes for a smaller (entry/exit) hole in the fish. Low speed can have a 'tearing' quality. At high speed, that hawaiian zips through em like a bullet. So why not just use a longer gun with fewer rubbers? Because viz isn't always so good. You need to be able to swing fast, and that little wood gun handles like a pistol. It is even ballasted for fresh water.

So what looks like overkill is actually the best method (so far;)).

Ted

Last edited:
Plus, it takes 3 bands to get through a carp's skull.;)

Last edited:
My finger is getting twitchy......:D . Get pic's, and one nice stringer of crappie, all look of very nice size. School is almost out for me:cool: , and the lakes are getting clear. Hope to post some pic's soon.

Keep it up guys, always like your stuff.

Enjoy,
Justin

Hell, the visibility looks better than La Jolla was yesterday.....but it wasnt snowing either:) Nice stringer. Those guys are a very tasty fish.

Very cool stuff Jon and Ted. I'm looking forward to diving and fishing soon up here. The pics will hold me over for a while :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

brass b@11s

hell Jon

you've got big ones and brass ones.

wayyyy to cold for me.

GREAT photos! Are those specialfins? Anway good job and keep it up, I love the photos

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT