• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

measuring euro guns true length

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

HSD

Oct 30, 2003
Are euro guns measured in barrel length only or total length of the gun. 110cm =43.3 inches. My friends 110 omer is the same length about as my 55 inch gun. Looks a lot bigger than 43 in. Whats the total length of a 120cm euro gun in inches (sure isn't 47 in.)? Just curious. Mahalos

Howzit cuz,

Euro guns are measured by barrel length. Sometimes it's difficult to take a tape measure to them since they include part of the barrel inside the grip or muzzle.

I attatched a picture below for your reference. It's kind of old, but you can get the gist of sizes.

From top down:
120cm Omer
106cm Omer
50" CF Wong
100cm Beuchat(Maybe a little shorter, was trimmed)
75cm Beuchat
60cm Esclapez

Attachments

• tn_pc150008.jpg
    tn_pc150008.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 331
Old omers are specified according to band pull legth. Like 100cm omer is equal to the Riffe comp. 3. But now i think its measures according to the barell length.

Nice guns Fuzz. I'm thinking of getting a euro gun but I'm debating about the size, I feel a 110cm gun will be more versatile for reef but need the range for those long bombs. Never shot a euro before. How's the 120 omer work for you, looks sweet.;)

HSD,

For Hawaii, I think a 110 is perfect for general reef hunting. This is just personal preference. I never knew the 10cm increments made such a big difference until I started using euros regularly.

120 or longer(sometimes use a 140) I sometimes use in deep water for dive-bombing fish - drop down with the gun fully extended in front of you & use your fins as a rudders(like in the Ayau video). Easy to shoot, accurate, and streamlined. I also used the Omer as a reef gun & it does rather well due to it's lightness, but my style of diving is more conducive to shorter lengths - you may be suited for a 120 or even a 130.

I use a 100 as my goat gun & it's probably the easiest gun to use. Enough length to aim easily & short enough to swing with comfort when those pesky buggers come in. Sometimes I need a tad bit more range, but I chalk that up to my diving/stalking inadequacies & figure I have to work on that :(

I'll be back in Hawaii soon & have a variety of different guns not pictured including other Omers, Picasso, & Rob Allens you can try out, so send me a Private Message & we'll meet up to go diving sometime. I'm probably selling off the 120 omer & a couple others(Rob Allens are a bit too strong for my taste), so if you like one, I could cut you a good deal. ;)

BTW, have you seen the Epic video yet? Sterling charged my card a bit ago, but it hasn't shown up yet...

Just a note, OMER Alluminium is very light gun. Its lighter than any omer i had used. So you can swing and use bigger size easily for open areas.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT