• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

meditation and freediving.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

XyseR

Dec 3, 2005
Okay, I'll try to explain what happned as cohearently and indepth as possible. Some back-story:Few days ago my teacher told us to close our eyes and think of nothingness. This lasted for 15 minuites, but for some people it seemed like an enternity. I personally enjoyed it. I didn't want to hear nose, and when my teacher said, "Okay, times up," I wanted to "meditate" for longer. Later that day I looked up meditaion online and did some personal homework, since it sounded at the time very intresting - and still does. (for people who do not know what meditaion does...it can release stress and other stuff...there are many types of mediations,old and new.

I normally listen to music while static breath holding. I used to find it easy to get into the music and forget time. This time when I did static tables(5 second intro,3 minuite inital berth hold,1 minuite rest, each loop:30+hold and 30+ breath , untill i reached 5 minuites.) Let's just say before the table my breath holding wasn't at it's highest point. The reason? I have no clue. This time I decided to have NO music and watch the table's timer tick down.(Normally the timer goes down very,very,sloooowly. 5.............4............3.......,ect) This time, I decided to concentrate/meditate on the timer. In the begining, time was very quickly - at least it seemed like. My first contraction was at 2:30. I freaked out and was 98% it was true. My normal first contraction is 1:00-1:30 and rare occasions at 2:00. I doubled-ish my first contraction time!! time seemed like very quickly. I basically zoned out, but i consider it meditating, 'cause i thought about one thing, one thing only - the timer. The really raw monks can meditate with their eyes open.

I don't know what it's called, but my "breaking" point when my body gets warmer/contractions start to get harder is around 3minuites, which wasn't the case anymore. It was around 3:30-4:00.

My last 30 seconds on my final hold was crazy-like. I didn't belive myself, but I was pushing myself to samba. Before I got 5mins I decided to pass 5:00 and go to 5:15 or 5:30. I didn't get 5:30, but did get 5:15 - which is my PB and still my PB if I remember right, lol. The last 15 seconds were samba for sure, and even before that i had some samba. IMO I don't think sambas are good on a regual basis, but they're okay sometimes, unless you BO and hit your head/SWB(I haven't had SWB, but have hit my head while messing around...I was for sure being dumb,haha.)

Tomarrow I'll be doing the same table...I want to do another before bed, which I might. Not at intense though.

So, I would strongly recommend trying to meditate/"zone-out," since it's very helpful.

Questions I thought of:

Q:When will I "zone-out?"
A:It's hard to describe, but you'll know. Things around you seem irrelevant. While listening to music, for me at least, I knew music was on...but it was there...I didn't hear a beat/lyrics.

Q:Does zoning out feel like anything is different?
A:Yeah, for me my body got numb-ish and tingled.

Q:Where can I learn about meditaion?
A:www.google.com If you struggle at finding it by yourself, I could post a few very good websites later.

Please do write about: suggestions/opinions/experiences are -- if you have any that is.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT