• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mediterranean Sea speargun setup

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
Hello,
I'm planning to buy a speargun for the Mediterranean sea.
What would you recommend?
speargun size?
shaft thickness?
The Fish Species saragos, mullet, red snapper , dentex...weight 500 gr to 1 kilo and gropper 2-3 kg.
Thanks

It depends on your preference and skill and water clarity. I use classical 100 aluminum speargun with 2 bands for sneaking in water with low visibility and I have really good results. I also use it for ambushes and I have bad realization because it has a very small effective range(3.5m). But even with bad realization I get a lot of big fishes. For deep ambushes I have a 110 wooden speargun with 3 bands and a thicker shaft which is pretty much a laser. It has 6m of range, low recoil and is very accurate. I think also some rollers would suit your need but for those fishes it is not needed. If you want to decide between roller or classic speargun look at YouTube and . First gun(classical 3 band) is around 550 euro and the second one(de-multiplied roller) is around 2000 euro.

Reactions: Mr. X
the problem is u need more than one gun ... a short 80-90cm for with 6.75mm shaft to go in holes and when the viz is low and a 120 cm single band or double band with 7-7.5mm shaft aspeto in good viz. would be my general recommendation but also you have to take in consideration what is your prefered method of fishing, fish you like to catch and the season u are going as the viz in the winter is generally worse than summer... and obviously your budget.?

Reactions: CurrentlyFishing
I'm in Greece, I carry 2 guns which I take on each dive. I have a small 75 that I can go easily around rock and shoot in the shallows and I have a 105 that I use for open spaces and deeper water.

My 75 is a basic aluminum tube, 1 band gun (which I want to upgrade for a 75 carbon) and my 105 is a pathos sniper, with the cuttlefish body which makes it much easier to move around in the water and reduces recoil

That describes 80% of the hunting I do.
The best setup is:
100 cm +- 5cm rail gun with double 14mm bands, so you can reduce power if required . 6.5 or 6.75 shaft is fast and perfect for that fish size. Go for a short spear overhang. Salvimar Heavy Metal ticks all this boxes for example.

The best thing you can do is fork out 60 quid and get also a short hole gun, 60cm with normal overhang for example. This will improve your catch quite a bit in the med, specially holed up fish in tight spaces. A short flopper helps.

I’ve used several permutations of this setup over the years and it works very well. Whatever you do, avoid the temptation of overpowering 6.5 mm shafts over 120cm long, otherwise accuracy goes out of the window .

If you are on a budget go for a Salvimar heavy metal 105, and a Decathlon Subea 60cm. You can het both for under 200 quid online .

Hello,
I'm planning to buy a speargun for the Mediterranean sea.
What would you recommend?
speargun size?
shaft thickness?
The Fish Species saragos, mullet, red snapper , dentex...weight 500 gr to 1 kilo and gropper 2-3 kg.
Thanks
Hi,
If you are going to dive in typical rocky bottoms of Mediterranean sea with the depths of 0 to 15 meters, I think you will need a 80 cm to 90 cm speargun with 6.5 mm shaft. Shorter ones works under the rocks perfectly. If you will lay down on the surface and wait for the Saragos than you must go for 90 cm. For weedy and rocky mix bottoms under 15 m you will need 100 cm / 6.5 mm.

Reactions: Mr. X
I am spearfishing here as well in Mediterranean Sea. I formerly use a 90 cyrano air gun but transitioned to Mares 90 cm sniper pro. It does the job, even landing a 5-8 kgs amberjacks. However, I do bring with me a mares 70 jet in case I got a dusky grouper and lodged itself inside the rocks. I use it as a follow up shop so I could retrieve the fish. Likewise, take caution when shooting groupers inside the rocks. Make sure you got it stoned else you will be in for a long fight :LOL: . Ditto with sargo, big ones usually are inside crevices and when you speared them, have a nasty habit of lodging their heads is cracks thus retrieving them is quite difficult.

Reactions: CurrentlyFishing
Hello friends,
Thank you very much for the help I want to buy salvimar predathor vuoto and I dont know what length to buy given the spicies of fish, their weight, diving in shallow water in depth of 3-10 meter and visibility 10 meter approximately at reef area.

thx

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT