• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Melbourne Dive Trips

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fitzy_1982

Underwater Ninja
May 7, 2010
I've been in Melbourne now since May and I've been meaning to start doing a few reports for a while so here's the 1st.

Got out for my 1st competition on Saturday morning. It started from Sorrento boat ramp on the Mornington Peninsula. You could basically go anywhere you wanted by land or boat as long as you were back for the weigh in by 3. Luckily enough I got on a boat.

We were signed in and ready to go at the mouth of the harbour by 9am. There was probably 5 boats and 2 jetskis. I have to say it was pretty cool when we all took off in our different directions. I was on a boat with 2 other guys, a russian and a kiwi, there's a good mix.

I didn't know where we were going until we got there, 1st stop was on the Western side of the bay(queenscliff). We were about 1km off shore in 10-13m of water. The bay was filling so the plan was for 2 in at a time and drift over the reefs, then jump back in the boat and back to the start again. Best fun I've ever had diving. I wasn't too succesful with catching anything as I hadn't done a drift dive while spearfishing before. I took a couple of fish but I had lost twice that from stupid mistakes. I shot a nice blue throat and it went deep under a rock. I tried to pull it out but I ran out of air, my reel ran out about 20m by the time I got to the surface and the current was running hard. I hung onto my line while I was breathing up hoping it wouldn't break. I didn't think I'd get the spear out and called the boat back to me because they were drifting further and further away. It took me 2 more dives to dislodge the spear but I got it in the end, minus a fish.

We had spent long enough drifting so we started making our way back to the other side of the bay a bit closer to the finish point. We pulled up at Portsea thinking there was no current and anchored up. It turned out the current was running hard here aswel, the tide had turned and was emptying. We decided to leave a line hanging out of the back of the boat. We took turns swimming up the line to the front of the boat then dive down and drifting back to roughly where the line ended. We pulled up in the right spot as it wasn't long before we started seeing the squid come in. One of the lads got a 1.6 kg squid that went one of the biggest for the day. I got a good shot on a nice big one and thinking the flopper would hold it I just started swimming in the direction of the boat line, :vangry flopper never came up and I lost it in a cload of ink. I keep asking myself why I didn't just grab it.

Swimming in the current proved how good a set of carbon fins can be, the lads had carbon fins and seemed to be getting around a lot better than me in my Omer Milleniums I think I'll have to add them to Santa's list.

All in I had a great day, when I seen the amount of species some of the other guys had I didn't even bother doing the weigh in, I'll do better next time though.

Here's a few pics, the 5.6kg stargazer was caught on another boat, and I only got a couple off the other pic, the rest were unwanted fish that I gladly took home for the table.

Loving it!!!:D

Attachments

• stargazer.jpg
    stargazer.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Ye pity their not all mine, going to try for some squid at the weekend.

Just to highlight from that report, we were always diving in pairs with someone watching from the boat, I wouldn't recommend anyone jump into that situation without a buddy and boat cover.

Nice report Fitzy,
I'm moving from the UK to Torquay (about 1 hour south of Melbourne) in January for work. It'd be good to catch up with someone in the area to give me the heads up on where to dive locally. I'm looking at getting a 110cm twin banded gun as I don't think my 75 and 90cm guns will cut it out there - sound about right for mainly shore diving in this area? Also am I right in thinking I need to buy a recreational fishing license to spearfish? Also what sort of fish am I likely to encounter from shore, obviously there are the Snapper, snook, king george whiting, flat head etc...but is there any thing else I should be looking out for which is good eating?
Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick,

Torquay is a good spot. You've got the whole Ocean road to dive. Lots of great fish to be caught, snapper, whiting, flathead, banded Morwong, sweep...... Diving for crays is also pretty productive. There's a club based in Port Fairy called Shipwreck Coast skin divers, look them up on Facebook. They hold regular social dives and competitions(spearfishing) along the great ocean road. The biggest club in Melbourne is the Southern Freedivers. They are on Facebook and they also have a web forum. If you put a post up there you will find guys out Torquay direction. They have regular competitions(spearfishing) all over Victoria.
A 1m-1.1m gun is the standard, twin rubbers is overkill for your day to day stuff. I have a 110 with 19mm rubbers which I use for general spearfishing, I also have a 90 with 16mm rubbers for working ledges and caves and I have a 1.3 woody with twin 16's for kingfish.

Here's a cray I got near Port Fairy.

Good luck with the move.

Attachments

• Killarney Cray.jpg
    Killarney Cray.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: skinnydipper
And yes you need a recreational fishing licence. You can buy one online before you get here or just buy one in any tackle shop.

Cheers for all the info mate. I can't wait to start exploring the whole great ocean road. We land mid Jan and I don't start work til the 3rd Feb so I have a few weeks to get some decent fishing done. Just trying to decide how much of my weight allowance I should use up on clothes and how much to use up with my dive kit...the wife is going crazy!

My advice is bring what you can. Diving gear is very expensive here.
Yesterday we had 30 degrees, offshore wind and low swell so I managed to get out for my 1st crays of the season. Looks like next weekend will be a cracker as well.

Attachments

• Diamond Bay Crays.jpg
    Diamond Bay Crays.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: Felix112233
Cheers mate, will pack what I can then!

Those crays look nice...can't wait to get over. Finished work here this week so now packing up my house in preparation for the move in January!!

Squid are another species to target. You'll get the odd one here and there but in late spring/early summer the big breeders come into Port Philip Bay to lay eggs. I've made 5 or 6 attempts to get onto them this year and then the other day I finally got onto a good patch.
Biggest went 1kg.
I have some good footage that I'll post in a few days when I get a chance to go through it.

Attachments

• Squid 2.jpg
    Squid 2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Squid.jpg
    Squid.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: winky
Good effort, looking forward to the video!

I've finally finished work here in the UK, so packing up the house this week then off to see family and friends over the Christmas period....can't wait to get 'down under' now tho!

I'm not one for telling long stories however here's a story worth telling.

I attended a spearfishing competition on Sunday at Philip Island, Victoria(where the moto GP is held) .Arrived via boat at Cape Woolamai for a 9am start. Conditions were not the best with a hazy 6-7m and a 1-1.5m swell. There was 18 people signed on for the competition in total. In the beginning everybody headed in the Woolamai beach direction. I went the opposite and headed for the 1st big bommie (rock/boulder). In the 1st hour I had 4 or 5 fish on my stringer and I had just dropped a fish to the bottom on my berly pin. It all seems like a blur but from what I remember I had dived down and missed a shot on a fish, I looked up and out of the murkiness a killer whale swam past me within 3 or 4m. I can't even explain what it was like. I was in awe and shitting myself at the same time. To see something that size cutting through the water is just awesome. When I got to the surface I started swimming around the back of the bommie as the ledge was too high to get onto, then a wave came in and I managed to clamber onto the ledge. I put my mask fins and gun up on the next ledge and then climbed up another meter to watch the orcas. After a couple of "what the fucks" I went back down to where my gear was and stupidly sat there watching the orcas breaking the water. Next thing a wave bigger than the previous ones washed over the ledge and took me back into the drink along with half my gear including the head cam with the orcas on it. I also ripped the arse out of my wetsuit.

After that I got right up on top of the bommie and watched the orcas proceed around into the bay where everyone was diving. There was an adult and a juvenile. The juvenile orca headed over to where the boats were anchored for a few minutes, then I could see the adult orca head towards the other headland where there was another diver. The adult orca breaking the water was cool. It's dorsal fin was easily 1.5m out of the water. It broke the surface 5 or 6 times and then disappeared. They definitely seen a lot more divers than divers seen them. Only myself and the diver on the other headland actually seen them.

I had lost half my gear at this stage and after a bit of good will from one of our sea sick club members he gave me his fins, mask and snorkel to finish out the day. He gave me his gear at 1st to look for my gear but I kept seeing good comp species so ditched the search and got back to the comp. Spent another 4 hours in the water with a sun burnt ass to prove it.

To add to all that my bungee snapped and my boat float nearly sank on the swim back to the boat. My luck was definitely running low.

Hopefully if I ever get to see an orca in the water again I'll be a bit calmer and enjoy the experience more. It just took me completely by surprise. I would have expected to see a bronzy or white pointer before seeing a killer whale. From reading reports on the net, they are very inquisitive and I haven't seen anything to suggest they would harm a human(in the wild). I never thought in a million years that I would see a killer whale that close without a glass screen between us.

Lucky for me one of our club members had the time to go back to the spot where I lost my gear the next morning with his Hookah. He ended up finding everything except my head cam. Hope it's not lost as he thinks the cam might be caught in rocks right up in the white wash where he couldn't get to due to the swell. The next flat day will give us a chance to have another look. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Cray Black Drummer Baded Morwong.jpg
    Cray Black Drummer Baded Morwong.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Ripped suit.jpg
    Ripped suit.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 235
Feckin awesome!! very cool experience, and ah... are those pics safe for a family forum like this :)

Wow. Awesome report. I only just started. And only been out off altona willy way. I do have a boat and will be venturing south as my confidence grows.

If you're looking for freediving buddies, you can now join the Melbourne Freedivers Club to attend regular weekly training, go on social dives and find more freediving buddies. Please visit us at: melbournefreedivers.com

We're also in the middle of developing a Geelong training group.

For spearfishing, you can't go past the Southern Freedivers club, that is for sure!

Cheers,

Finally got myself a Yellowtail Kingfish, it still has to be weighed but its around the 10kg mark. Video to follow.
Diving at The Great Glennie islands, Wilsons Promontory, 50m deep, 20m viz. A school came in on flashers and I managed 1. Awesome day.

Attachments

• Kingy Cup 2015.jpg
    Kingy Cup 2015.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Kingy Cup.jpg
    Kingy Cup.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 214
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT