• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

men or women? who's better?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Who dives better?

• Men

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Women

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Both the same

Votes: 32 43.2%

• Total voters

firefox

depthcrazy wreckhunter
Nov 11, 2002
men or women? who dives better?

Do you remember the time, when women in sharped dressed rubber suits with oval panorama masks only posed in front of the cameras, while the hero went to kill some sea monsters with an overdimensional speargun? Well, I guess times have changed and I also guess it's time for another funny poll!

Last edited:
Are we talikng about freediving or spearfishing? As far as freediving, the ladies are right up there. Do the names Tanya Streeter or the late Audrey Mastre ring any bells? These ladies are/were diving deeper than most men ever will. Men's physical strength is not as much a factor in freediving as it is in other sports. Remaining calm, knowing how to conserve energy/oxygen, having good kicking technique count for more than having huge legs that can bend a really stiff fin.

For spearfishing, yes the men are still dominating. But, think about the ratio of male to female spearos. What is it; 50:1, 100:1, more? The ladies are stepping up though. Brandi Easter, Jules Lum, Julie Riffe. They can spear with the guys and in a lot of instances out fish the guys. I'm not saying that they could compete against guys like Marco Bardi and Pedro Carbonell, but they can definitely hold their own. Who knows? I would love to see a woman who can successfully spearfish at 100 feet or more. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Brad :martial

boy did you ever open up a can of worms! :head

Brad.... You Forgot to add Miss Spicer :inlove

Willer

Originally posted by Amphibious
You Forgot to add Miss Spicer :inlove
Apparently Loopy has dibs on her..:D :chatup

I'm not aware of single female (4 or 5 signed up) on Adrenaline that is really into spearfishing, thats out of a 300+ total membership...:(

Although Tanya & Audrey are/were great divers, they did not surpass their male counterparts. Loic Leferme dove 175m in no-limits and Sebastien Murat over 180m. Audrey's best in training was 170m and Tanya's best was 162m. However, this is a category where women could surpass men eventually. In the other 'physical' categories, the women's records hover around 80% of the men's time/distance/depth.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Originally posted by Amphibious
boy did you ever open up a can of worms! :head

Brad.... You Forgot to add Miss Spicer :inlove

Willer

Who is miss Spicer:confused:

Isn't the question more a matter of who handles stressful situations better? ;) I've seen some unbelievable women and men divers who under similar situations responded very differently.

Admittedly diving has been a male dominated field for quite some time, but who wrote the books for most of NAUI's tech classes? A woman. :cool: Women are finally catching up in the sport, but few of them share the "deeper, further, exploration" bug that the guys seem to have.

Strength and powering through a dive will only get you so far - usually into trouble. The best divers (male or female) are the ones that use finesse to solve a problem - they are the divers who learn something new on almost every dive, and are the guys/gals you want to share a dive boat with.

Reactions: Lockedin
Was Miss Spicer at the Pacific Cup of Freediving? I met a couple of freedivers from Australia including a Sasha (can't remember her last name). She was actually really cool, taking time to talk story with a scrub safety diver like me :eek:

No wonder all you guys keep harping about her, she's a good looking lady. I don't think she was at the Pacific Cup. I'm pretty sure I would have remembered her.

Now if we could just turn Shannon Elizabeth, Gwen Stephanie, or a few others into Spearos... :D

Willer

And of course, the discussion turns to spearfishing and women.

I don't really know enough about either sport to say who's better, so I say 'both the same'.

Reactions: loopy
OMG!!!!!!!
Babe!!!!!!!!!!!
Even better in a wet suite!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Reactions: loopy
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT