• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Metal Muzzles?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

watermanlou

May 13, 2005
Hey all,

Has anyone made their own metal muzzle (e.g., Wong, Alexander)? I wondered if anyone has some ideas, or even better, plans on how to do this. If not, should I just try to purchase one?

As a related subject, is a metal muzzle even needed? I'm using a 60 inch, enclosed track, laminated Teak gun stock (1 3/4" High X 1 3/8" thick) with three to four bands. I've read that having the metal muzzle will prolong the life of the gun by preventing wearing and tear on the wood due to inserting the shaft.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Lou

Don't reinvent the wheel

While I've not made my own aluminum muzzle, I've certainly used and modified Steve Alexander's very well made muzzles.

While it's debatable whether a metal muzzle is necessary for your particular setup, i.e., 3-4 bands, as the number of bands increases and the stress on the grain of the wood grows, it's a nice feeling to know that you have what is in essence a metal girdle up there keeping things together.

Wear on the wood-wise, releiving the end of the gun's track 2-3 inches will allow you to fiddle with loading the shaft without undue loss of accuracy, and speed your loading as well.

Reinvent! Not If I don't have to!

Hey Icarus,

Believe me, I don't want to make my own muzzle if I don't have to. However, I talked to Steve Alexander a couple of weeks ago, and he basically told me there was no way to get a muzzle from him. First they are too expensive, and second he uses them all on his guns! So, I thought second best was to make my own. If you have any leads on how I could obtain a used S.A. muzzle, I would appreciate it. I'm sure I could modify it to suit my needs.

Lou

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT