• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mifsud announces STA WR attempt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
Stephane Mifsud announced he is going to beat the current world record in static apnea held by Tom Sietas (10:12). The attempt is planned for the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Ocean_Day"]World Ocean Day[/ame] on 8th June 2009. More details here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZoN6uyKoXE]YouTube - video sponsor Stephane Mifsud[/ame]

Not sure if he invites AIDA international judges this time. Usually he does not.

Pretty nice clips, intersting to see how he goes... still boggles the mind that someone can hold their breath for so long.

Good luck Stephane

DD

Is it known where the attempt will take place and how? It would be great to see a new record, especially if it is with AIDA international judges. Good luck!

Nope. Gotta follow the rules if you want to set an AIDA record i.e. announce it with AIDA, follow AIDA protocols during the event, take a doping test afterwards. You can't just ask them to pop down to the pool and check out your static!

I didn't understand even 1 word but this isn't improtatnt. This will be amazing achievement, to beat Tom's record. I wonder how many seconds will he add to the record.
Second the Aida, i hope they will come. It is nice to see that all record attempts ale clasified. It was the same with Patrick Musimu and 209.6m..

Second the Aida, i hope they will come. It is nice to see that all record attempts ale clasified.
Well, AIDA will be there almost certainly, but the last time it was only AIDA France. I remember Bill was seekeing to contact Stpehane after his last record, but am not sure if he managed to iron out the rips in the relations. However, seing there is interest at least on the side of AIDA International, there is a hope. It would be definitely better also for Stephane Mifsud, because with his repeated false claims of World Records he makes him appearing rather ridicule, childish, and unfair.

Second the Aida, i hope they will come. It is nice to see that all record attempts ale clasified. It was the same with Patrick Musimu and 209.6m..
It's not a case of AIDA coming, it's down to Mifsud going through the same process everyone else has to. If he does, the record should be ratified. If he doesn't, it's not a record.

Back here in NZ, we've had world records drop without an A-level judge present. They only were valid as ranking and national records. Equal treatment must be given to everyone, no matter what history is bubbling behind the scenes.

Yep, it's entirely up to Mifsud whether he claims a AIDA world record or not. Hope he does, Tom could do with a bit of competition

I understand but as Trux said it is a bit childish..all records should be clasified. And the AIDA, I think, should come there even not invited. It is very important to see the numbers, they push the "pro" side of freediving to the next step. Imagine how would look Musimus's 209 when it would be an official record. I know he had some kind of conflict with THE Guys but you can't fight alone. What do you think about accepting the records without judges. There would be videos from up and below to prove the atttempt, protocols that have to be done..but it is XXI century and the ineternet gives a wide variety of possibilities of making sure that the record is made.
It is useful especially at the no limits or variable weight atempts, cause they are normally made alone. And the $$ are very important..especially now.

If AIDA was to accept records without judging them and just turn up when they hear a big performance is going to take place (Karori pool in New Zealand, next Saturday please guys) then there would be no need for AIDA. It would be better to just have a wiki-style database that everybody added videos/pictures/affadavits to. AIDA exists to standardise and lend credibility to performances, and freediving needs this control in order to be a recognised as a legitimate sport. Would a video of somebody running 100m in 9.4s in their back yard be recognised as a world record? I mean, it's video footage... right?

I did 12.03 yesterday in an inflatable kids swimming pool in my backyard. And then ran 100m in 9.32 seconds. Damn..... no video. :head:head

Mifsud may be an amazing athlete but there is lots of those around. Then there are the few that can perform under pressure.

Reactions: island_sands
That does make sens but what about the video conference. Let the pool be the example? The athletic competitions mentions by you are more popularl over the world and well known. In freediving the numbers could atract more people to it.
And I wonder why not every contenders asks AIDA when he does a world record attempt?

That does make sens but what about the video conference. Let the pool be the example? The athletic competitions mentions by you are more popularl over the world and well known. In freediving the numbers could atract more people to it.
And I wonder why not every contenders asks AIDA when he does a world record attempt?
If you believe AIDA should ratify Mifsud's attempt should he be successful, can you also explain to guys like Dave, Kathryn and others that paid thousands of dollars to fly AIDA officials over from across the world and stumped up US$500 each for doping tests why Stephane deserves special treatment?

If he doesn't, could you explain to me what's stopping me doping up to the eyeballs in betablockers and setting a new world record (with video!) at my next training session? Or maybe I should huff O2 for a quarter of an hour, then put Tom AND Stephane to shame.

Records not overseen by a governing body will always have doubt associated to them, as no controls are in place to ensure there is no cheating (among other things). If you're happy to take them at their face value, then you're welcome to recognise the attempt. Just don't expect a governing body, in any sport, to agree with you.

I already posted how Mifsud's win at the World Static Apnea Contest of Monaco in 2005 was highly suspicious, and considered suspicious by every other competitor there! The day before, he did 7'00" with an oximeter and went down to 50% SaO2 (borderline), and had a hard recovery. The next day at the competition he does four straight huge statics (way over 7') finishing with 8'28" while walking underwater and clapping his hands, and comes up looking like he didn't even do a static. The other anomaly in his performances is that if you look at his competition history, he has never even broken 6'30" in any competition outside of France. For some reason (!) he needs to be in France to get a big static.... Similarly in dynamic, despite huge 200m-213m swims in France, in his last international competition in dynamic he did only 99m.

I am not necessarily pointing fingers. It could all be legitimate. We just don't know, and may never know.

Reactions: bite ya
I already posted how Mifsud's win at the World Static Apnea Contest of Monaco in 2005 was highly suspicious, and considered suspicious by every other competitor there! The day before, he did 7'00" with an oximeter and went down to 50% SaO2 (borderline), and had a hard recovery. The next day at the competition he does four straight huge statics (way over 7') finishing with 8'28" while walking underwater and clapping his hands, and comes up looking like he didn't even do a static. The other anomaly in his performances is that if you look at his competition history, he has never even broken 6'30" in any competition outside of France. For some reason (!) he needs to be in France to get a big static.... Similarly in dynamic, despite huge 200m-213m swims in France, in his last international competition in dynamic he did only 99m.

I am not necessarily pointing fingers. It could all be legitimate. We just don't know, and may never know.
I didn't know about anything like this, sad to hear because i thought this sport is still pure of cheating. But as i read this i start to think that i may be a dreamer.
I just wondered how would it be if the costs of an record event could be lowered. Second i thought about making it a bit more from XXI, but as i mentioned there would have to be procedures covered, such as all the important surveys: doping and all required.
But still this is only "thinking aloud".

hmmmmmmm, that looks almost impossible.... if that realy is the video of an 8min+ static something seems a little strange because even after watching other GREAT divers statics even not max attempts they cant do that... not saying its bulls..t just very confusing.

DD

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT