• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mixing different band thickness on the same gun.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
So then one band just provides less force. If it is that simple why not adjust the bandstretch instead?

I am thinking, when you lower the band stretch, you also shorten the power stroke. For the same load on trigger mech, you get less velocity, and carry more ballast. So, maybe this is the reason for thinner band. Or perhaps, not just extra weight, but handling, tracking fish etc. Perhaps some empirical "feel" for it? Kind of a sweet spot for the particular barrel/shaft/bands combo?

Reactions: Kodama
I'd say the main 'advantage' of two different bands is that you can adjust the gun's power during the hunt, which I am not sure is a good thing. Two bands and three loading tabs makes many more combinations than Keep It Simple allows.

An understretched thick band would really do the same as a thin max-stretched band. There's some difference in accelerating mass, but you can adjust the stretch to make up for that. The understretched thicker band would also last much longer, but it won't save you from buying two bulks of rubber since you probably have to colour-code them.

I keep with the opinion that it's mostly a marketing thing. It expands the list of 'features' as to sound cool, in the same way as that they slap you with technical talk when you go buy a computer for typing.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
An understretched thick band would really do the same as a thin max-stretched band.
it is rather academic question, because like I said earlier, the difference is probably not very big. Let me show it on diagram, don't mind my drawing skill eh
Bands Fxlb.jpg
Bands Fxlb.jpg

shaded area represents the energy, or work done by rubber band. For the same load on trigger mech and the barrel, thinner band at full stretch gives a smudgen more energy. Say, if you are designer and want to max out on performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: xristos and Kodama
It also stretches recoil like it stretches energy in the graph making it more manageable ?

Also rubbers and springs exert most force when they are at start potision so they could accelerate the shaft to terminal velocity and then on they just try maintain same speed. The thinner will do so for longer before shaft leaves.

With speed increase you have more energy lost (square of the speed), the thick band will get the shaft to max speed for longer for the same shot and will pay a penalty for that in kjs. Maybe there are some marginal gains on thin bands .

i mix my bands i use 2x 5/8 bands at 27" and 1 9/16 band at 27" on my riffe marauder with a 8mm shaft double flopper seems to shoot more flat at longer distances.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT