• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monastery Cemetary

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MTY Freediver

Kelp Gazer
Jan 22, 2003
Just thought I'd note that Monastery claimed another life last week. That's two scuba-related deaths this year that I'm aware of. Anyone have any thoughts on the high death toll at this site?

I'm tempted to blame the depth, but both deaths were in relatively shallow [40-60 feet] water.

Originally posted by MTY Freediver
Anyone have any thoughts on the high death toll at this site?

As a longtime local diver, fan of and survivor of Monastery, I'm going to put the blame square on the Instructors/shops that take their open water classes there for the final final, when the weather permits.

After passing the rudiments of the course, the divers know only two places- the Breakwater and Monastery. And seeing as how the Breakwater is nowhere near as nice and potentially intersesting as Monastery, they jump there. "...Gee, it's only a little bigger than the day we went out..." The two are worlds apart in every respect and it's that respect that Monastery isn't given by the neophytes. New divers have no business being there and even for experienced types it's a no-bullshit area for entry/exits. The steep drop just off the beach makes the place one that I tell newbies to try sans gear excepting their weightbelts to get a feel for the place.

I've collected a lot of gear there in the past following a weekend filled with classes and sunk 6 feet worth of fiberglass paddleboard there by not paying attention and the number of times I've waded in to help someone buggered in the lineup is as long.

Nice article. While I'm surprised it made it to print there in a community that garners more than it's share of annual dollars from the diving community, I'm not surprise that a copy of it isn't pasted on the various dive shop bulletin boards.

I've not heard or seen Wobber's name in ages. He and I were diving at Jade Cove before it was called that. He's a talented and knowlegable character!

excellent article, MTY!

This article might be a good one to post under 'beginner freedivers': It occurs to me there are many newbies (like myself) that need to hear a healthy number of cautionary tales.
Well written!

Jade Cove......my Gosh, I remember camping at Little Sur Creek after a lovely day at Jade Cove. That would have been in '74 or '75....is it still just a dirt trail head, unmarked, with a winding path to the water's edge?

Very excellent idea, I'll see about moving it over there!

There's a small California State Parks sign there at the Cove and the trail is certainly more worn-in, but yes, that's the place. :cool: spent a few nights at that camp myself back in days when I could get by with a VW. My mind reels... :waterwork

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT