• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monofin footpockets lubrication

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dimitris33

Dimitris G.Maroulakis
Nov 30, 2009
Hi all,

Have recently bought my new monofin and althought I have managed to get in the footpockets very easily with soap and feel very comfortable. After a while however when the soap leaves the pockets I feel the rubber squeezing my feet gradually upto struggling to keep my feet in there..

Does anyone knows a type of soap which will remain in the footpockets for a long time (the longer the better).

A friend told my to put vaseline inside. Is this good for the rubber and my feet or not?

Lets see, you need something slippery that sticks to rubber and/or feet :) Seriously, I've had some success with baby oil. I heard that vaseline is hard on rubber.

For the 24 hour distance record just done last week, he said he used xenofit second skin creme (check post #62 in that thread) which I gather is a lanolin based product. So anything that won't dissolve in water, and isn't petroleum based (ie vaseline, petroleum products will eat away the rubber) will do the trick. I used to use lanolin when I was swimming for bather chafe. Baby oil would be fine too, but because lanolin is a paste (smells charming as well ;)) it should stay where you spread it. You'd want to clean the pockets every now and then, as any oil-based product that builds up could eventually go rancid.

Last edited:
I've had some success with silicon grease. Just apply a tiny amount (tip of a finger range) stays in there for a couple of dive sessions as a thin "coat" that is slippery enough to get the foot there, but not too much to move around or loose grip.

hi dimitri,
did you ever try to put on very thinn half food neopren socks, the ones you wear only on the front foot?
greetings, silvia from germany

I think silicone spray or grease is your best bet, and silicone is actually good for the rubber.

I use a water-base silicone spray that you can get from most dive shops.

Jon

Silvia, I feel there is not enough room for the half socks so havent tried these although I have them in my bag.. I will try them but dont think its gonna be better. Its not the point however. The point is to lubricate footpockets and foot and to remain lubricate for long time thus giving the sense of more comfortable.

I have ordered the Xenofit today and will try it. I have various options to try upto now: baby oil, silicone spray and Xenofit.

I can even make a coctail out of them! :))))

Thanks everyone for the responses. Will come back with the results.

oh my good, iam actually waiting for my monofin from spain to come you giving me really courage:crutch:crutch.......so ill be back with my experiences coming up soon....
silvia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT