• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monterey Bay Dive Ideas

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MTY Freediver

Kelp Gazer
Jan 22, 2003
Hey all:

Thought I'd tap the tremendous amount of collective dive knowledge of Deeper Blue. I write regular dive features for The Monterey County Herald and am always looking for new stories and angles on diving around here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

not that I know much about these things, but...

How about the community's actual financial take from the diving community; the travesty that is the public access to Pt Lobos; the the farce that is PG's self imposed ban on spearfishing; why the dive boats there get away with what they do and why they aren't making it, the hammering of the above and underwater areas of the Breakwater and Lovers...

just for starters. :hmm

Interesting thoughts. Could you elaborate some?

• Why is the public access to to Pt Lobos a travesty?
    There's a ban on spearfishing in PG? (Uh-oh, I spearfish at Otter Cove all the time)
    What are dive boats getting away with?
    By "hammering" do you mean overuse?

Thanks, icarus!

"Could you elaborate some?"

Sure, and I could also write you the story! :D

The ramp at Whalers Cove, the main entry point at Lobos is a real good imitation of what happens to a too narrow sidewalk when a tree really gets it's roots going. And then an earthquake hits. It was never real great, but now to launch, it better be a real high tide or you have lots of friends there to help lift the boat in. And the whole thing about limiting the number of divers and having to have a reservation is crap, especially when some divers get the subtle nod and get in regardless.

Uh, yeah... PG types frown big time when you lug dinner across the beach.

The dive boats and in particular the Express have a quaint way of always landing on the same exact spot, and I'm talking as in you go down with a pinger and land on it, same same spots. The bottom just gets blown over with newbie fins and you can forget seeing anything more that 6 inches alive, including the metridiums. They also have a shit record for injuries and a habit of just whipping out the O2 for any little deal and then not calling in the EMS which is pretty much SOP. Call the chamber in PG. I can appreciate their not wanting to head around the point if it's blowing, but even then you can't shoot fish on them and who's act of God was that??!

Hammering- verb, as in to overuse, over harvest, not reclaim, deny fault.

And the % of the Monterey dollar that comes from the divers can be sourced out with a call to Carol Rose of Cen Cal and UsofA fame. Ask her about the time we had to put little dive flag stickers on the dollar bill we spent so the shop owners would get the idea. Tell her Sven sent ya and prepare for the laughs.

Good stuff, thanks Sven!!!

I'll tell them who sent me after I bust down the door with a fin, wildly brandish pen and paper and demand "I WANT ANSWERS, GODDAMNIT!!! AND I WANT THEM NOW."

Best,

Rm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT