• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

More Lost than found.... bye bye GUN

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ever lost a spear gun, or better, HOW MANY?

• Never lost a gun, yet!

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Neptune has taken only 1

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 2 gone to the deep

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • More: that Neptune guy must have a gun rack down there..

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

azapa

51% freediver 49% spearo
Jan 31, 2007
I had been ill for a month, and not been in the ocean for same, you know that land locked, gill drying feeling I'm sure. Well a 7 day break here due to Chile's independence from those ghastly Spanish (historical opinion, not mine) was very, very, overly anticipated, in an "I'll check over my gear again for the 20th time" way. Also, and amazing US Navy website https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/ww3_cgi/cgi-bin/ww3_loop.cgi?color=w&area=spac&prod=sig_wav_ht
showed "all good"

SCENE 1: LOST AND FOUND
My first trip out spearing was with a couple of easy going buddies. We went to a secret spot, that looked calm from the distance. It is also very shallow, about 6m, and full of fish, sometimes..

There was a huge swell and I was feeling nauseous, I accompanied a rookie in his first spearing session. He just happens to be a great swimmer (ocean swims, 8Kms) at our club, so it was more a pleasure than a chore. After taking a couple of 1Kg Villagay, a great tasting rock fish, I was ready to head back, the ocean was rough with a lot of white particulate in the water.

Now, a technical detail: I use a short airgun, a seac-sub asso 65 to be specific. Very weird as most people say. It has a detachable tip, it screws on. I find it very easy to remove fish as I simply unscrew the tip and slide them off.

So, a little dizzy already, I find the days biggest Villagay hiding from the current in a small crevice, and easy shot from 1M away. I fire, the spear thuds home and I begin pulling on my line to swim up with my catch. The fish calmly swims away like nothing had happened! Talk about dizzy. Investigating, the point of my spear was bare, no tip!

Surfacing, I handed my now falling apart gun to my buddy (irony increaser: please remember the 20 gear checks pre the dive week), the little line holder, spring and washer ready to fall into oblivion. I grabbed his gun and dived, convinced that the speartip had stayed in the fish as he swam off. The thought of wounding fish really pains me. The crazy stuff started happening: I saw the fish swimming slowly about 15M away, followed him and line up just behind a rock, but it was a no way shot. Having still not recovered properly from the fist dive, this one was too short, and I surfaced. My buddy then took up the search with no luck.

Fed up and getting cold, we started the quite long swim back to the shore. About 50M away from the hunting area, my buddy shouts, I turn to see the spear tip in his hand. He had seen it glinting on the bottom through the murk, and retrieved it! IT WAS my speartip, no questions, hardened stainless type that I buy in Spain, with the same dings. How the hell did it get there? A bit happier (but still lamenting the lost and insured fish) we made it back to shore..

SCENE 2: LOST AND LOST GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Three days later, and still no fish in the freezer, a very good diver calls me to buddy up for a hunting session. This is one of those guys who can HUNT at 40M. Yes, go down, hunt, come back up. I could not even imagine arriving at 40M, nor 30 for now, never mind hanging around there. It was an honour, and I was exited to show him some good local spots and learn some tricks.

We set out, and I lazily don't take my float because:
a. The bladder of the beuchat burst, and I'm using a crappy 5 liter water bottle for a float now
b. Its more fun under the kelp canopy without that line
c. (dumbest part) I felt "safer" with an experienced buddy around

We set off, wind picking up, into a deep area right in front of my beach house. About a 12 to 16M bottom, nice big rocks and amazing kelp canopies. The kelp here is quite top heavy, with 1" stalks about 1M long reaching up from the boulders, to give you an idea: each stalk is about 75CM apart, yes, about shoulder width ;). There was about a 5M viz, and as is all too common, I only could see my buddy about half the time :rcard

I was keen to impress, and lined up on, but did not shoot, smaller stuff that on a freezer-needy day would have been on my stringer. Great apneas, for me, about 1:15 to 1:30 total dive time, in about 14M of water, gliding through bellow the kelp canopy: those kind of dives that force a smile on the face and make even the kick back up fun.

Just at my DR vs cold peak, I spy a nice big cave to my left, one I had not seen before. I am already a little too long into my dive, but nevertheless fin over:
DAYS LESSON LEARNED HARD WAY #1: don't bother investigating a scene you have no way of handling. I should have headed up then, breathed up and returned to look for the spot, or even better marked it with a weighted line to my float.

These caves are low to the ground, about 40Cm high, but very deep and dark, not that there was much light getting through the murk anyway. I am looking for a VIEJA, a shy, grouper-like cave dweller. These fish are the most fabled and talked about spearo prey here in Chile because they are difficult to find, extract, and make incredibly good eating.

I spy an eye, but have no idea of what it is or it's size. Getting accustomed to the dark, I get closer in the cave, and see a majestic Vieja move to the back door of his cave. It's huge, about 7Kg. I bend my elbow, point and fire. A HUGE TUG on the line confirms a solid hit.

DAYS LESSON LEARNED HARD WAY #2: Big fish, shot and frightened, are incredibly strong. Sounds dumb, but I had kinda got used to the pull from those 1 to 2Kg fish that I often take, and almost expected the same shoot-hit-tugging fish sensation.....:head

The spear line is 6M long, and all was in the cave, only the gun itself was outside. I pulled and pulled, NO WAY was this fish coming out. I headed up.
I doubt I was narced at such meager depth, but down there it seemed easy: leave the gun, go up, get friends float line and clip, dive back down and hook on to gun, call buddy over and extract fish between the two of us taking our time... WRONG

DAYS LESSON LEARNED HARD WAY #3: In the open ocean, and murky water, you'll never see that spot again unless your NOT looking for it
I called my buddy, retrieved his carabiner, and dived: nothing, no cave, no gun, no Vieja. My buddy dived, same, nothing, zilch. We looked for one hour and did not even see the cave again..

LOST GUN + ANOTHER WOUNDED FISH
:crutch:crutch

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have your gun fixed to your buoy in similar conditions! I turned what could have been a great way to end a weeks diving into a stupid loss by not doing just that. I even went back in next day.......... NOTHING. Have you noticed when NOT look for stuff you will see the same shell, abalone, piece of wood etc two or three times in one dive in the murkiest of conditions????roflrofl

King Neptune took his tole. The kids and wife were happy to see me back anyway though, and I have earned a tale to tell. I have ordered another asso 65. Now, when will I see another Vieja that big again is another question entirely...

Safe dives...

Last edited:
Ah, I see you found the mysterious dissapearing cave. It has been reported to be seen in many different countries. Curious how it gets around...great story though. I hope you find the cave again soon, and your gun as well!

Azapa you're not alone: I could tell hundreds of unfortunate stories like this about myself: compared to myself, Mr. Bean is asort of Chuck Norris. The years of experience don't help: there's always a "Bug in the system" making us do the wrong thing.
While we're at it, and this is obviously not aimed to you, I think it's interesting to share our experiences about marking holes, retrieving cave fish and securing the gun after shotting a hole fish that does not come out on the first attempt.
This is what we do on this neck of the woods (Mediterranean)
1float -we DO NOT hunt with our guns tied to the float line (but we do carry floats as a marker and a gear holder: second gun et cetera), and we DO mount reels on all our guns, included the shortest hole guns. Let me explain how reel and float may interact in mediterranean-style hole hunting technique:
2a marker weight ("pedagno") tied to the float line: when we find an interesting hole and the sea is rough or the visibility is short, we unfold the line, drop the weight near the hole, so that the float keeps the point. All we have to do is swim down along the float line to find the previously marked hole. All of this take time and may alert the fish, so the following is the most common technicque:-
3Reel. We shoot the fish and obviously try to pull it out from the hole. If the fish makes resistance and we need to surface back, we open the friction of the reel and go up (gun in hand), then close the reel and clip the gun to the float. This way we gain three achievements: keep the fish under traction/tension, preventing it to swim back deeper in the meanders of the hole; secure the gun from being lost; a third one I can't remember at the moment....ah! mark the point more precisely. Most of the time, when you grab your second gun and dive down for the second shot, the fish is still at the entrance of the cave as a splendid target to finish the job.
EDIT: one 4th advantage: with the reel you can swim safer to the surface, cause you don't have to pull up the fish, so its weight doesn't drag you down.

Last edited:
........The years of experience don't help: there's always a "Bug in the system" making us do the wrong thing.

roflroflroflrofl so true, so I should have ordered two or three spare guns at the same time??

The worse part is I have shot and successfully taken only slightly smaller fish in similar situations before. I guess that was more beginners luck than skill.

I completely agree on the reels, although no one here in Chile uses them... I think we are just low tech. in general.

Adrian: if you see my gun send it back please :t

2[B said:
. If the fish makes resistance and we need to surface back, we open the friction of the reel and go up (gun in hand), then close the reel and clip the gun to the float. This way we gain three achievements: keep the fish under traction/tension, preventing it to swim back deeper in the meanders of the hole; secure the gun from being lost; a third one I can't remember at the moment....ah! mark the point more precisely. Most of the time, when you grab your second gun and dive down for the second shot, the fish is still at the entrance of the cave as a splendid target to finish the job.
EDIT: one 4th advantage: with the reel you can swim safer to the surface, cause you don't have to pull up the fish, so its weight doesn't drag you down.

Its not a cave, but this is almost identical to the procedure california divers use to untangle big white sebass when they get tangled in the kelp after a shot. The difference is most of us use a riffe uttility float that we inflate and attach to our floatline/reel line when we reach the surface.

Something like that happened to me once, but visibility was better and the sea conditions were not as bad so I was able to find the cave. However, after several tries failed to retrieve the fish I cut the line and resigned myself to lose my spear. Lucky for me, the skipper of our rented boat was a veteran fisherman that didn't need a GPS to go back to any particular spot on the ocean, without any land reference on sight! So, next week he took us back to the same spot, I went back into the cave with a flashlight and, voilá, there it was, the skeleton of the fish with my spear on it. So, Azapa, go back there and find it man. You can do it!.

Reactions: azapa
thanks for the good vibes Jose, I know I can find that cave again when the ocean settles, but the way that fish pulled I doubt there will be anything in it... can't wait for the search though, it'll be fun!

a friend of mine did the funniest thing.. he had just bougt a riffe no ka oi...and we were on atrip seeking some biggies... so h was all set up with slip tip 8mm shaft, 3 bands and beakaway...on the beginning of the dive his float line got entangled, so he detached the gun from the float line :) :) so basicall if he shoots and the breakaway works it wont be holding on to anything ( NOT too smart)..anyway he lines up on a tuna and shoots...the normal scenario would have been that he looses the fish and the spear and comes up with the gun...quite the opposite, i dont know how that happened, but he came up with the fish and spear and lost he gun :) i was on the boat and we tried looking for the gun (which must have been just floating aroun close by) but there was a bit of swell and after an hour search , we couldnt find it :( the sad part for me was that we had agreed that i would buy the gun after the trip..:) well i got another one anyway now so all is good...and probably a lucky beachcomber somewhere ened up woth a brand new riffe nokai :)

Poor buddy of yours Marwan, I'm sure his riffe cost way more than the 92Euro asso I lost..... He didn't loose his fish though ;)

Congratulations! That gun should give you many more years of happy hunting now!.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT