• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mountain Divers Have more fun!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
Buddy of mine (diver for hire) was doing some work up north last fall for a logging company - helping to put in some dock/landing works for the tugboats (how they move the log booms down the lake). we went for drinks the other night as he was back in town and he brought me a CD of photographs from the trip. these ones stuck out and as the story goes, they had a visitor one day, that stuck around for quite some time... and he just happened to have his camera.... (so never again ask why our divers pack heat :D )

this isn't a little one, but he isn't huge either, a huge one is 1100-1200lbs, we're guessing this one at 750-800lbs, Oldsarge, still want to come hunting/diving up here? :martial

Last edited:
Amphibious said:
this isn't a little one, but he isn't huge either, a huge one is 1100-1200lbs, we're guessing this one at 750-800lbs, Oldsarge, still want to come hunting/diving up here? :martial

uf! that looks like a fair piece of steak to me!

I have a good recipe for smoked bear if you want it.
I guess you may also have to put your wood working skills to the test first and build a smoker that can handle 500lbs of dressed bear.

island_sands said:
uf! that looks like a fair piece of steak to me!

I'm sure the bear was thinking the exact same thing :crutch a big boar like that is a force to be reckoned with. fastest animal on 4 legs around here.

Grizzly doesn't taste all that great - very very very oily. now if that was a blacky :p

If any of you want a great read about Grizz in BC order one of Gary Shelton's books on Bear Attack studies in British Columbia. If I had read them before I was a hunter/outdoorsman I would never get out of my truck, scary stuff - but a very good read!

Last edited:
I've heard the same thing about grizzly meat from the Alaskan indians. Nice rug, though. I suppose that a 300 gr Nosler at 2750 fps might discourage him a little, especially right up the brisket. Anyone who still believes in teddy bears needs to read the Northern Territories booklet on bear attacks, by all three species! We're aiming to be heading up that general way in '07.

do belive that will work, of course I'll expect a pith helmet and full tweed if you're going for the Holland & Holland! (and I want your reloading notes if you can get a 300 going 2700 ! )

I'm mighty fond of a 500gr .458 :)

Amphibious said:
do belive that will work, of course I'll expect a pith helmet and full tweed if you're going for the Holland & Holland! (and I want your reloading notes if you can get a 300 going 2700 ! )

I'm mighty fond of a 500gr .458 :)

Not too terribly fond of long-term continuing operation of your shoulder though, I see

rofl rofl rofl

bdurrett said:
Not too terribly fond of long-term continuing operation of your shoulder though, I see

rofl rofl rofl

Hmmm, do I detect a modest lack of ballistic sophistication? A 500 gr. .458 at 2300 fps will stop anything that has walked the earth since the last ice age and won't cause you any discomfort (or damage) if the rifle fits correctly, is equipped with a thick, soft recoil pad and weighs something over 10 1/2 lbs. Now I realize in this age of couch potatoes and hoo-rah over ultralight mountain rifles that such a weapon might seem a trifle heavy. Poppycock! Lift a few more barbells and stalk, when you carry it, rather that attempt to jog and you won't have any difficulty. I'm old enough to be nearly everyone on this site's father, am arthritic and a desk jockey of sorts to boot. 10 lb. rifles don't bother me, they shouldn't bother you.

rifle:Whitworth by Paul Jaeger, caliber .375 H&H, Win brass firing Nosler Part. 300 gr. over 78gr. of IMR 4350 for 2725 fps and 4929 ft.lbs. resulting in 3/4" group @ 100 yds

3/4" group over 100 yrds?? Now I am impressed :inlove Is that standing or prone? I have a really old Anshultz .22 (1407) that I bought years ago :eek: I average 99.5 at 50m outward gauging, I dont really get to shoot that often any more :( but I still have the knack ;)

right now I'm pushing 350gr .458 at 2150fps from a 7lb rifle. has some boot to it but very very managable. have a P17 Enfield action here that is screeming to be turned into a .458 Lott or a .500 A-Square....

Alison, nice shooting. Anshuz makes a quality .22 for sure!

Last edited:
Alison said:
I have a really old Anshultz .22 (1407) that I bought years ago :eek: I average 99.5 at 50m outward gauging, I dont really get to shoot that often any more :( but I still have the knack ;)

Au contraire, madame, I am impressed :cool: as the quoted group is off a benchrest. Just because the rifle can shoot like that doesn't mean that I can, more's the pity. However, when curled up in a good sitting position with shooting sticks, I can break the neck of any reasonably sized animal (call it 200 lbs or 100 kg and up) at that distance. I hate to damage the edible parts of the carcass.

Will Hunt for Food,

Oldsarge said:
Hmmm, do I detect a modest lack of ballistic sophistication?
rifle:Whitworth by Paul Jaeger, caliber .375 H&H, Win brass firing Nosler Part. 300 gr. over 78gr. of IMR 4350 for 2725 fps and 4929 ft.lbs. resulting in 3/4" group @ 100 yds

BAAAAHHHH! My grandfather had a .358 Magnum lever action open sights (I have NO idea what happened to it when he died, I have to assume my cousin took it :( since my uncle was already in poor health by that time) that had no recoil pad at all. Damn thing nearly tossed me for a loop although it was FIRMLY seated on my shoulder. Couldn't use my arm for 3 days.....

A .358 Magnum lever action???? Now that would be a serious rarety! The only .358 Magnum cartridge that I ever heard named that was by Norma. It required a .375 length action and bolt face. Neither is easily gotten in lever action. Realizing that you can't lay hands on the beast I must suggest that it was a .358 Winchester in either a Savage 99 or a Winchester 88. Though the .358 Win isn't a high velocity cartridge, it throws a healthy chunk of lead. Neither of the above rifles weighs much and if they lack recoil pads they will have sharp cornered buttplates that will positively eat your shoulder. Now wonder you got hurt! Owweee! When you finally wonder back home, get in touch with some of your high altitude (what else does Colorado have?:D) elk hunters. Avoid the .338 shooting masochists and see if you can find some sensible type who uses a .375 that weighs around 9.5 lbs like mine does. Since we are talking about a "sensible" person, he/she will have a decent pad on the butt, like a Pachmeyer, a KickEze or a Limbsaver. You will be astounded at how comfortable it is.

Amphibious said:
I shot a 8lb (scoped) .338RUM this morning. ouch. :D

I believe it! Recoil is generated in two different ways, recoil energy and recoil velocity. The latter is how fast the former is slammed into your shoulder and is one reason why I have no use for any of the belted .338's or for anything in the idiotic RUM line. Don't like most Weatherby's, either! Elmer Keith overplayed his hand badly in maintaining that basically you need a .450 NE to shoot prairie dogs with but I have a lot more use for a heavier bullet (with lots of sectional density) at moderate velocities than I do for lighter one at extremely high ones. Yeah, bullet placement is everything but placing a bigger one accurately is easier when it doesn't hurt you almost as much as the animal!

Now don;t be so quick to shut down the .338's, I have a serious love obsession with the .338-06 A-Square, possibly the best all around Cartridge for British Columbia hunting. 225gr Innerbond at 2750fps PBR of 280yrds, 2100ft.lbs. @ 300yrds, and all on a nice little '06 case Mmmmmm :inlove Rem 700 Stainless, 24" magnum contour Fluted Barrel, McMillan Stock. Leupold VX3 on the roof... 8lbs complete Ooooooooo.... I'll need a minute alone... :p

that being said the .375H&H would be the "One World" caliber for sure, why there is a Sako 75 Stainless in that caliber in my safe too :D

Now as for Mr. Keith... nothing wrong with big guns, .585 Nyati comes to mind... perfect for the odd gopher, Black Bear, Dinosaur..... oh if you could marry a rifle... :duh

of course, as the picture below clearly shows, there is a very good reason to have a .375H&H around here.... :ko

(the boot on the right is a Men's 12 Danner)

Last edited:
I think that you got me on this one, Sarge. It WAS a .358 Winchester, NOT a Mag..... on the Winchester 88 frame. Metal butt plate :( Commercial Ammo, soft, round point stuff like you would toss into a 30/30, tubular mag, you know the deal..... :cool:

My personal Elk Rifle is a Remington 700 Mountain 30/.06 pushing a 180 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip out of some Lake City Arsenal Match Grade brass with a Redman 3-9x scope. Unfortunatley, since moving to the more "sophsticated" (don't believe it for a minute) all of my reloading stuff has gone to my brother where, I am sure, it has been dutifully sold off to keep him out of the poor house :vangry . IIRC, I was using 21.x grains of Red Dot but I really don't remember. Used to be able to put 3 shots into an inch-and-a-half off the bench but then the strap broke on a hunt and it fell muzzle down into a bunch of rocks :waterwork and tossed the whole aiming off... Since I DID have a back-up (ex-Boy Scout) the hunt went on. That is my 2nd favorite, a Ruger M77 .270 with 130 gr. Ballistic tims, usign the same brass (resized) and not much less powder. That baby would toss 3 shots into about 1/2" off the bench at 100 yds. Both had Pachmeyer pads on them

Knew a guy that hunted with a .338 semi... Never got anything in 5 years that I know of....

Gotta run!

I love the .338/06 (son of Keith, son of Westley Richards)! That's why I specified "belted" .338. .33 caliber bullets out of a 62mm case come as close to an all-round NA cartridge as anything does, especially where there are moose and large bruins who are inclined to investigate the contents of your garbage can . . . before you take it outside! Just keep it around 24-2500 fps. This "Der, wull ah kin do it so it mus' be a gud idear" attitude of trying to drive big game bullets at varminter velocities doesn't cause brain damage, it is caused by brain damage!

bdurrett said:
My personal Elk Rifle is a Remington 700 Mountain 30/.06 pushing a 180 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip out of some Lake City Arsenal Match Grade brass with a Redman 3-9x scope. .................. Since I DID have a back-up (ex-Boy Scout) the hunt went on.

Ah! Rem Mtn Rifle... MMmmm I love those things, my hunting partner has the stainless version in .260rem. what he hunts with for everything around here. glad to hear there are some sensible hunters left, a .30-06 to most hunters up here is fit only for deer and black bear. "Elk are tough critters, bettr bring a magnum" attitude prevails. Boyscout? Eagle by any chance?

Range day today. Going in For surgery tomorrow and it;ll be a while before I get to shoot again :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT