• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Movie of first spring dive

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pezman

We pee deep. Ew!
Sep 24, 2002
I dusted off the 5050, blew the cob-webs out of my sinuses and went diving last weekend.

Seven folks made it in all. One of the guys (Eiichi) was an absolute first timer. About halfway through the film, it appears that he has the hang of it.

Here's the film -- a little long, but the music that I selected was almost 8:00

http://pcp03940028pcs.frncna01.pa.comcast.net/may16_2_2004_320X240.wmv

Hopefully the url is right and the inevitable overwhelming demand for the film won't crush my server rofl:. I'd recommend right-clicking on the url and saving the file to disk.

Reactions: DeepThought
Mike,
I tried left clicking the URL and it didn't come up.

Last edited:
Peter,

I PM'd you w/ a secret, alternative download link ;).

My server crashes under even modest traffic.

Haha, great movie, really gets you in the mood to go diving! ARGH! rofl territorail scuba diver rofl

Nice movie! I see you've got your hands on some nice editing tools too :)

Was that an plane on the bottom?
Was all filming done while diving in apnea?
The red fish surprised me :)

I saw that scooterguy performing a arc-like movement, maybe it's a nice idea to do some acrobatics down there? could be very fun to do, and beautiful to see!

I'll show this to my friends if they want to know what freediving is :)

Ciao, love and peace,

Kars

Thanks for the kudos!

Some additional information on the film:
  • All filming was done in apnea (but note that none of the shots are very long -- lonest raw shot might have been close to 2:00)
  • The dive site was Dutch Springs (www.dutchsprings.com). They do have an airplane, but it didn't appear in the film. Most of the footage was shot on a fire-truck, a helicopter and a steel tower and some old steps that they have on site. The tower and steps are left over from when the site was a working quarry
  • Scooter acrobatics are easy and incredibly cool. Everyone who can afford an Apollo scooter should get one. I would have featured the scooter a little more prominently, but I had already done a film that was all scooter action (WabankScooterMadness).
  • The music is "Universal Mind", by Liquid Tension Experiment
  • The editor is just plain-old Movie Maker 2. I think it's one of Microsoft's best products and the price is right (free!)

I am continually amazed at how well the Olympus C-5050 performs as an inexpensive underwater video platform. The footage, after passing through Movie Maker, is actually better than the raw MOV files that come out of the camera. I suppose that the C-5060 is even better for shooting raw footage, with 640x48 resolution.

Thanks to Ted Cummings (Unirdna) for being the first on the forum to show what the 5050 and MM2 can do. Would there be any interest in an article that detailed how to put a movie together?

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Pezman,
Looks like you had lots of fun! With a last name of "Hondo" - if I read it right on the movie, - it's no wonder your friend Eiichi got the hang of freediving quickly. :) I figure as the owner of a C5050 I "owe" a film too! So I'd love to read any article you write on setting up a film, and especially of how to compress it well into managable file size without losing quality. You mentioned the quality was better after passing through MM2 so I'd definitly be interested in that. Meir looked cool as well! Fancy fashion statements with the colored belts!

Adrian

yes I know

Yes that is what like the most

-- Im talkiing to my friend to give a ride to over there and still need the 5 m wet suit -

but one of this day I will be there I don't know how but I will

saludos and enjoy

Daniel.

hey if I go there do you take me a video? jaja
that was really good who did it? edited it?

Daniel,

You can probably get by with a 3mm suit. I have used a 3mm at Dutch and I was fine as long as I stayed above 40' or so.

At the bottom of the quarry it stays in the 40's all year, which makes it a little hard to take in a 3mm suit.

If you are there on a day that we're filming, I guarantee that you'll be in the film ;).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT