• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Moving to the Caribbean

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Morg

Georgian Bay Freediver
Jan 14, 2006
Hello,

I might be looking for a job in the Caribbean in the near future (November). This is however still a ways off and I understand its more of a dream then anything right now. I would still very much like to persue it as much as possible.

I am a college graduate with a Computer Systems Technician diploma from a college in Ontario. I understand that my career choice isn't really geared towards work in that area but I am very flexible in what I will be doing there. I am young (20 years old) and still figuring out what I want to do for a career.

A little background information that I have learned that might help me in my search is that I am eligible for the U.K ancestory. I would love to persue that and especially in the Caribbean (Mainly the British Virgin Islands). I have looked into the citizienship thing there and it sounds very interesting.

I imagine that a lot of people here have traveled there and some actually live there. I wonder how life is there and what kind of work is there.

Thanks a lot :),
Morgan

Hi,

Sorry about the last post I believe it didn't really ask any questions or anything.

Here is what I am basicly looking for.

Is it realistic for someone in my position to go and live in the Caribbean?

Thanks,
Morg

They have lots of businesses and banks in BVI. Businesses and banks have lots of computer systems. Computer systems need computer system technicians.

See the thread? At your age the most foolish thing is to go for a safe, secure beginning to 40 years in a cubicle. Go!

jimqpublic said:
...At your age the most foolish thing is to go for a safe, secure beginning to 40 years in a cubicle. Go!

AMEN on that one!!!

Yeah I keep hearing those same word 'Don't do that just beacuse its safe'. It is also very difficult to even determine what I want to be doing in a career so that piles up on the confusion even more :(.

I will have to plan a trip to the BVI for a few weeks to check things out.

jimqpublic thanks for saying that about the computers. That was also my first thought about the banks being the best bet.

I am beginning to grasp the entire picture however. Like where I am right now (Georgia, U.S). I am still shocked that I made such a jump here and I look back at the months that I have been here and just think about if I had played it safe and was still back home.

Thanks guys :)

goto Antigua, English and Falmouth Harbour and try getting a job on a super/mega yacht as a electronics/computer enginner.. really good money and you will travel lots :)

Reactions: Morg
go for it morg!
i started island life in 2000 and never looked back... all sorts happened after that, only for the good!

Morg said:
Hello,

I might be looking for a job in the Caribbean in the near future (November). This is however still a ways off and I understand its more of a dream then anything right now. I would still very much like to persue it as much as possible.

I am a college graduate with a Computer Systems Technician diploma from a college in Ontario. I understand that my career choice isn't really geared towards work in that area but I am very flexible in what I will be doing there. I am young (20 years old) and still figuring out what I want to do for a career.

A little background information that I have learned that might help me in my search is that I am eligible for the U.K ancestory. I would love to persue that and especially in the Caribbean (Mainly the British Virgin Islands). I have looked into the citizienship thing there and it sounds very interesting.

I imagine that a lot of people here have traveled there and some actually live there. I wonder how life is there and what kind of work is there.

Thanks a lot :),
Morgan

Reactions: Morg
ROBERT REYES said:
Were in the caribbean, can you be more specific?
Roberto
puertoricofreedivers.com

Yeah sorry about that. Here is some places that I am thinking of only because they are Overseas Territories.

Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Turks & Caicos Islands

Forget about citizenship and territories bro...just get your arse to Antigua West Indies,...look smart. take your CV and go get a job on a private/charter Mega/Super Yacht you may have to start as a deckhand then just lick the Captains butt and just download him weather patterns/systems everyday set up the computers like nobody has seen before and soon you will get promoted, no cruise ships :rcard . Open an offshore account and start throwing the money in....the rest will follow. Being Canadian it could not be easier :)

November is a perfect time to be there, Good luck.

oh yeah !! once your are on a boat you will visit all the Islands you listed above except maybe the Falklands.

Last edited:
Morg said:
Yeah sorry about that. Here is some places that I am thinking of only because they are Overseas Territories.

Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Turks & Caicos Islands

Oh boy, you are going to have fun no matter what.
But you are doing the right thing, with plenty of time in advance.

Morg said:

Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Turks & Caicos Islands

Oh boy, you are going to have fun no matter what.
But you are doing the right thing, with plenty of time in advance.

Hola Roberto

I remember you? still freediving in PR?

when will be the day for us to freedive and spear in cuba again !

vamos a ver brother cuando sera esto

I've a friend who just returned from a month sailing various ports in the Carribean. His comments: US territories and Dutch territories/ex territories were much less friendly and safe feeling than all the rest. He commented on one island where every dinghy and motor was padlocked to the mooring or mother ship, while another island 15 miles away there wasn't a lock to be seen. He especially commented on a feeling of unease and seething crime in the USVI.

If you want to meet lots of people and develop relationships then a shore based job is probably better. If you want to see a lot of different places then a boat based job is good- just realize you're on duty 24/7 licking the boots of the rich owners and clients.

jimqpublic.

Yeah I remeber reading something along the same lines. Someone was warning people of people that meet you when you get off the plane and ask casual questions about where you are staying so they can come and rob you. I am not really going to listen to all of that until I go and experience it all for myself but I will be a little cautious.

However some recent reading that I have done said that the people are very kind. So yeah I guess it really depends on where you are.

From all the information you all are giving me I have just had a little idea. Do both in a sense. Go and try to get a job on a cruise ship or luxury boat. See the Caribbean and make some good $$$ if I can then head into land and work from there if I really don't enjoy the whole boat experience.

What does CV stand for?

Last edited:
I feel quite funny reading over this thread again.

Since then I've put that yachting / moving to the Caribbean thought in the back of my head only to bring it back now.

After I put that post up I did take off. However I went to England for 5 or so months and did some traveling and sightseeing. I was lucky and was able to get a lot of diving in and managed to get out to a actual competition as well. I know now I still need a lot of work however.

Now I have just finished booking my flight and my STCW'95 (allows me to work on a yacht). I will be heading down to Ft.Lauderdale this Friday and hope to land a job within 2 weeks from now. I have no idea where I'll be then or where I'll be headed. One thing is for sure is that I'm defiantly not playing it safe. I have a taste and can see the result of when I take off on these trips.

I'd like to thank you all for your advice and your suggestions. I am extremely glad I listened. I am very much looking forward to this trip and I hope I can meet many more fellow free divers from around the world.

Bye for now,
Morg

Reactions: sciencemike
I'm not sure if this relates to your post really but my husband and I have been living and working in the Caribbean for many years now. (St. Maarten, Grenada, BVI's, Venezuela, Dominican Republic are the ones we worked in to name a few) Getting work permits can be very expensive and difficult if not impossible... depending on which island you apply in of course. (obtaining citizenship or residency can be just as difficult as well) I don't mean to be discouraging but SOMETIMES what you find on the internet is nothing like what you will go through to acheive these "papers" once you start the process. Since you have a specialized trade and a trade that is needed and one that may not take away from the locals opportunity to work, it may be a bit easier for you. It's best to get pre- hired with a company FIRST and have them send you all the requirements for work permits. Some island require by law that your employer submit your permit anyway. The application requirements usually includes things like a police report, bank statements, health records, copies of everything like your passport, birth certificate and drivers license and recomendations of "good character" etc. Good luck and do as much research as possible. It would be even better if you could go to the island in person and live there for three months on a tourist visa if you could swing it financially. That way, you would be more certain of the culture, laws and other goings-on. Take care and I hope I helped.

Thank you very much WhaleTail, that is some awesome advice!

I can see a lot of truth in that because I have taken off a few times without a job. It makes things a lot harder and always stresses me out. However I try and channel that stress into succeeding.

I am down now in Fort Lauderdale finishing up my yachting course. I came down here to locate a job online and I just met a really nice guy. He offered me some temporary work for the time being. I am hoping to land a permanent job soon and be able to visit the Caribbean that way.

That is great! I hope it will all work out for you. With the right attitude, the Caribbean can be your perfect paradise even if you have to work! Good luck and I am so pleased I could help.

Thank you very much WhaleTail, that is some awesome advice!

I can see a lot of truth in that because I have taken off a few times without a job. It makes things a lot harder and always stresses me out. However I try and channel that stress into succeeding.

I am down now in Fort Lauderdale finishing up my yachting course. I came down here to locate a job online and I just met a really nice guy. He offered me some temporary work for the time being. I am hoping to land a permanent job soon and be able to visit the Caribbean that way.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT