• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

MSC Napoli beached at Branscombe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I heard yesterday on news that the ship already had a serious accident when it beached on a coral riff between Malaysia and Singapore. I did not listen well, so do not know when exactly it happened, but it is unbelievable that a ship can be approved for transporting hazardous materials after such a serious accident.

The more "surprising" it is that after the last oil spill in Brittaney (Erika), officials promised that there will be very strict security controls not allowing any insecure boats through the Channel.

Last edited:
Living ten minutes away - Im concerned about this one! :(

Rgds Ian

If that bloody great thing goes pop it’ll f**k it up all along the coast and goodbye 2007 season for all of us.:rcard
Is there a local spearo that could keep us up to date with what’s actually happening with this would be catastrophe?
Any further info would be much appreciated.

Well, looks like our worst fears may come true. Oil leaking now, containers washed up on the beach, maybe sunk too. At least the wind will be northerly for a few days (sorry Channel Island buddies:( ).

Funny how it was French tugs that towed this disaster over here...hmmm...:martial

The most complete information I found so far is here:
Salvage experts battle to avert an environmental catastrophe - Britain - Times Online

Well, there may be no edible fish for a while near Devon, but at least you can fish a Mercedes, BMW motorbike, or a barel of wine. Well, if you are unlucky it will be just a barel of sulfuric acid, so be sure to look at the label before tasting!

Sorry for the joking, I know it is a tragedy and no fun at all. I feel with you! Hope it finishes better than it looks now, and hope that those who are responsible for approving the ship for transport after the accident near Singapore will be taken to responsibility, and pay hefty fines.

Thanks for the info; there was a bit on the TV this morning but not enough to tell the full story of what’s happening there.
Jez is there anything that anybody can do to help or is it a closed shop?
And trux as for paying a hefty fine I doubt that will bother those bastards one bit should line um up against a wall and make a proper example then maybe the rest of the don’t care brigade will sit up and pay a bit more attention to what there doing.

Hope this thing works out for the better, for the sake of all the people who mite be affected if it doesnt. Hopefully they can pump out the oil soon then things will look up a bit, as far as I see it the thing to be most afraid of is the threatening oil spill :vangry :rcard

That's Beer spearfishing cancelled this year then :martial :martial It is such a spectacular part of our coast, lots of people will lose their livelihoods because of this, I hope they can prevent a total catastrophe :confused: :confused:

i have posted your links on the front page of DB. Serious stuff this. Much like the one in Spain some years back and so many fishermen lost livelihoods :(

From what I’ve seen and from what I’ve been told it’s gonna F**k it up for a fare bit more than just Beer.
I’ve got relations in Seaton (Pauls Bakery) and they are very worried about the whole thing, not enough happening quick enough.:rcard

Reactions: Spaniard
The powers that be seem more concerned with saving the goods that are floating up onto the beach than with the clear up.:rcard
They were supposed to start taking the heavy oil fuel off last night but apparently there were "complications".:head
Although I’m not actually there as far as I can make out bugger all of any good has been done.:vangry :vangry

Surely by now the ship should be secured on anchors, so they could reinstate the floating barrier to contain a spill should it start leaking out. Thats the least they can do I feel

Other than intense media spotlight on every person nicking everything they can get their hands on, nothing seems to be have done about the wreck itself; weather has been mild enough to have done all kinds of things to it. When it's all too late there will be calls for all kinds of inquiries i'm sure; the time for action is now.

They should be protecting their own coast line, not someone elses goods because that person was too f#@in stingy to properly repair a ship. The shipping company should be ensured for loss or damage of cargo anyways.
Seems like this thing is gonna turn into a too little too late scenario :vangry :vangry

It saddens me to say it but I think your right.
RIP South Coast.

I see it was enroute to SA. So I guess we were saved from this one. But mind you I wouldnt mind for a BMW bike and a few barrels of wine myself hey... The environmental threat is still a pity though and from Jims article it does sound like theyre starting to get control over the situation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT