• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mull of Kintyre

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Svendsen

Aug 8, 2011
Hi guys,

I am soon visiting Scotland, from the 23. till the 2. of October.

I have been looking at Google Earth for good spots!

I am thinking about the tip of the Mull of Kintyre! Looks interesting. There is a small road leading to a lighthouse out there...
But I think there will be a strong current there... Which I am not used to in Denmark.

If I look at the tide table and plan a dive from 1 hour before it tops until one hour after it turns, would that be ok??
I would like to have some comments from you UK guys who are used to diving in areas with strong currents!!

Thanks,
Christian Svendsen

Beware
the lighthouse is not accessible by vehicle, the road leads to the top of the hill then you have a 30 minute walk down to the light house, it is a road but not open to public beacuse it is mega steep.
You would be better off looking at diving around southend. strong current all around better attempted on tide coming in.

1hr before and after is the rule for strong tidal areas. Half hour walk doesn't sound appealing though!!

Weechimpy, thanks for your quick reply!

And also thank you for saving me the drive down there just to find out that I can not get near the lighthouse by car! I do not fancy a 30 min walk with all my gear!

I will look for places near the south end, where I can get closer by car!

Have you ever hunted there? Where are you located in Scotland?

Hi

Southend is accessible by car no probs, not hunted or dived there. A good place is in machrihanish, there is a bay called the Gauldron passed the village and the golf course. There is a bird observation place there. It is one of my favority spot to swim with seals there, however never hunted there.

Good luck

Does anyone have an idea of the sea temperature around the mull of Kintyre area now?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…