• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mullet(/Bass) & Samphire

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Just made a meal based on this bass recipe: http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/2000-08:bbqseabass

Made a few modifications:

- mullet instead of bass

- lemons instead of limes (prefer limes with seafood but we only had lemons) on the fish, aioli (mayonaise for seafood) & vegetable/samphire.

- didn't have much samphire (& it has quite a strong, oily flavour that might not suit everyone), so used vegetables from the garden. Steam them all quite quickly. Doesn't take long.

- used Floyds version of Aiolo (8 rather than 1 clove of garlic, lemon rather than lime) & much less oil than either version. You could easily halve the ingedients (e.g. 1 yolk, 4 cloves garlic, half lemon, 150-200ml good olive oil) & still have plenty of aiolo.

Hugh on Samphire: Join the samphire brigade | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Life and Health

Last edited:
Reactions: abusingelves
Now that's different! I must admit you got me on that one, mate, in all my gluttonous explorations of the globe, I'd never heard of samphire until now. And having a rather strong suspicion that it isn't available here on the Left Coast, I'll be a long time finding out what it tastes like. Pity, that . . .

I found the samphire growing all over the rocks around my spearing gear when packing up -- hadn't noticed it before, but it is quite common. Little yellow flowers this time of year (like rag wort or St. John's wort -- it is called glass wort sometimes) but with small rubbery leaves.

We had no fennel in the cupboard but my brother grabbed a handful of seeds from a huge plant in the garden. Sure enough, rubbing them revealed the tell-tale aniseed smell. So the fish (which I slashed on the outside) was smothered with crushed fennel seeds & garlic!:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldsarge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT